“Very Happy”
Review of Oaks Aurora

Oaks Aurora
Ranked #75 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed two nights in one bedbroom exective apartment. Very clean apartment with fantasic views of Brisbane River. Great location close to everything in CBD. Shower was amazing with great pressure. Was impressed with service at front desk they were very helpful. Apartment was serviced daily and late check out until 11.00. Will stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. It is wonderful to read that we were able to play a part in making your trip to Brisbane an enjoyable one. We are glad you were able to enjoy the views of Brisbane and able to check out at 11am. I will pass your feedback onto the staff at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Aurora

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed here for almost two weeks. In short, the apartment looked, felt and smelled like it had never been properly cleaned. The smell came mostly from the range hood (see photo). The bath was full of mould and everything had a layer of dust and/or grease on it. I pointed this out shortly after check in (I didn't want to unpack into a dirty wardrobe). i was assured this would be fixed, but it seems all they did was wipe a greasy cloth over everything. In any event the wardrobe, which was dusty, was now greasy. It took three attempts at asking for a proper clean before anything was done. Even then, there was a long way to go before I would even contemplate cooking food in the kitchen. The range hood looked the same on check-out as it did on check-in, and the stink prevailed... On top of the filth, the property just doesn't work that well - the lift system is completely dysfunctional (good luck getting out between 8:00am and 9:00am) and the gym seems permanently overcrowded. At half the price it might be worth considering, but not at a rate close to that of nearby five star hotel options.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank kingair99
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I should have checked the negative reviews here before booking. My experience was repeated. I booked 5 months ahead, and requested a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment. I rang several times to check and was assured this woud be addressed on arrival. On arrival I was told there were no such rooms available, and that for a 1 week booking they rarely were. I wish I had been told this in advance. The room was clean, apart from the bathroom which was in a filthy condition, with mould over the shower tiles. The bath/shower was small, cheap and nasty in comparison to the other fittings in the apartment. I asked for a new mop, because the old one was filth encrusted and the squeezing mechanism was broken. I was told this would take several days because the owner of the apartment needed to agree to buy a new one. I bought one myself, and asked to be reimbursed, which I was. The room is supposed to be 'lightly cleaned' daily, which from reading other reviews consists of replacing the towels and not much more. I didn't even receive this, the cleaning staff did not enter the room once during the stay. This morning, on entering the lift there was a notice stating that the building's hot water would be turned off for 36 hours. I was not told this on check-in. I was informed this had been planned months in advance, and that because I had made an internet booking I did not need to be informed. It is completely unacceptable that I am expected not to be able to have a hot shower for 2 days. I have decided to check out today, informed the receptionist I wanted a refund, and was told this was not possible. This is the worst, most expensive accommodation mistake I have ever made and I advise anyone considering this 'hotel' that their money perhaps would be better being spent elsewhere. I am very angry at my experience and how I have been treated.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
6  Thank TurningLeft
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks Aurora.

We were very concerned to read of your experiences during your stay and would like to opportunity to discuss it with you further. Please contact our Customer Feedback Officer via email on customerfeedback@theoaksgroup.com.au

Reviewed April 8, 2012

A group of 5 of us stayed at the Oaks in a 2 bedroom for 3 nights in late February for Soundwave. We arrived late in the afternoon and were able to check straight into our room. Basically the only issue we had during our stay was noticeable as soon as we opened the door. The carpet had been cleaned earlier in the day and wasn't dry and left the room with a funny smell. However, we talked to the front desk staff (Tim and another woman whose name I didn't catch) on our way to get dinner and they said they would check out the problem and would happily change our room for the night if we wanted. However, they turned up the AC for a little over an hour and everything was nearly dry by the time we went to bed. The rest of our stay was perfect, the room provided plenty of space even with 5 of us and the front desk were always friendly and quick to help. There was a 7/11 and coffee shop downstairs plus a several supermarkets, cafes and restaurants no more than 10 minutes away in Queen Street mall. Considering the handiness of the Oaks location not only within the CBD but to the showgrounds for Soundwave (it was at most a 15 minutes walk) and the level of service during our stay, we would not hesitate to stay again!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank rekah21
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Oaks Aurora. It is wonderful to know that we were able to play a part in making your holiday a memorable and enjoyable one and I shall pass your feedback on to the staff. Please do stay again next time you are in the area – we look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed April 4, 2012

While planning our big trip around east coast Australia, Brisbane seemed to be the most expensive of all the places we would be visiting. Oaks offered several properties in good locations and we went for Aurora based on majority of reviews. We were met by a local in the parking area which was really helpful as I have to agree, signage is a problem. However, we were allowed to leave the car parked for free for a short while and offload luggage before returning it to Thrifty nearby. Reception staff were great, helpful and friendly and the Scottish girl (sorry we didn't get your name!) really gave some good advice on bars etc. our room was absolutely gorgeous, the views were so good we didn't bother to go on the Wheel!! Separate bedroom with great mirrors, full kitchen, spacious lounge area and amazing balcony space where I could have a smoke. The apartment was so clean it looked brand new, and everything was fully serviced and replenished daily. The location was perfect and we walked the city several times, the walkway along the river was great and just 2mins away. I live the other side of the world so unlikely I will be back soon but would go in a flash if I could. Got a good deal by the way by joining oaks members rewards, they gave me 30 per cent off my first booking!,

Room Tip: Join oaks rewards before booking
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alibabe007
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

It is wonderful to know that we were able to play a part in making your overseas holiday a memorable and enjoyable one. We are pleased that you found our apartments spacious and enjoyed the views of Brisbane. We will be sure to pass on your positive feedback to our Hotel Manager.

We look forward to welcoming you back again next time you are visiting Australia.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

What more could you want for a family of four. For less than the price of hotel rooms we had a clean modern 2 bedroom self contained air conditioned apartment with all the conveniences in the heart of the city close to restaurants, the Queen Street Mall, a supernarket down the road and a liquor store just next door. The large balcony was a bonus and really opened up the apartment to the wonderful views of the city (and beyond) with its river and the magnificent Story Bridge centre stage. We'll be back with out a doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper levels with river views. You cant beat it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank fj787
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2012

It is wonderful to read that we were able to play a part in making your family holiday to Brisbane a memorable and enjoyable one. We are pleased you were happy with the apartment and enjoyed the wonderful views of Brisbane.

I shall pass your feedback on to the staff and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed February 28, 2012

Apart from being a little tricky to find you cannot fault this accomodation.
For the price of a CBD hotel room you get a 2 bed appartment with all the comforts of home - washing machine, dishwasher, cooking facilities, living room and even a spacious balcony - in my case on the 22nd floor.
For those looking for restaurants, there are plenty just across the road but nothing in at this accomodation which is in a tall private residential tower. There's a handy 7Eleven store by the ground floor entrance for basics.
There is private parking at the usual AS$20-25 per day.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ameglio
OaksHotels, Guest Relations Manager at Oaks Aurora, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Aurora. We pride ourselves on provide top value for money accommodation, and are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!