“Excellent”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2014 via mobile

Was looking for something nearby home using trip advisor and came across Modern Thai only 1km from home. Read the positive reviews and decided to give it a go. We weren't disappointed. Service was friendly and genuine. Food tasted fantastic and was served quickly. Good value and great to dine locally. Will definitely go again.

Reviewed November 29, 2013

Can't believe I have driven past this place so many times and not noticed it. Went after reading reviews on Tripadvisor. Clean and polished decor, fantastic service, and food of a high standard. Attention from the waiting staff was at times too much, getting asked 3 times in 5 minutes if we would like a drink was a bit OTT, but then we thought about the places we've been and couldn't get their attention. So no problem. A little expensive, but worth it as the food was very good. The additional expense was made up for in decor, and the great service.

1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We found this restaruant using our 'Entertainment Guide' Book and I must say we were very impressed with the food, decor and service. There is an 'outdoor' dining area that is enclosed and looked very nice, we were seated inside.

We ordered the Banquet 'D' which was $43 per head. It didn't take long for the entrees to arrive they included - Coconut Prawns (probably a little too much batter for my liking, but still tasty), Sping Rolls and Chicken Satay - the meat just fell off the stick and the Satay Sauce was delicous.

Our mains included Spicy Beef Salad - which just had a nice little bit of spice to it, but not too much, there was also Red Lychee Duck Curry - which was very fragant and I personally would have like just a little more Duck, Fish with was in a nice light batter and the fourth dish was Royal King Prawns. The food was all presented very well and looked and tasted amazing.....then we had to select a desert from the desert / ice cream menu and coffee that was also included in the banquet.

Once the restaruant filled, it was a little harder to hear each other talk. As we were sitting near the counter I couldn't help but notice the amount of take aways the restaruant send out while we were dining - it was very busy.

A great restaruant in suburbia and we will definitely be back with more family and other friends. I would recommend you book for Friday or Saturday nights so that your not disappointed.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

This Thai I have to say goes close to being the best Thai food Ive ever eaten, even though I have eaten alot of excellent Thai food over the years. Went with family and friends recently and tried a large variety of dishes all that I can say were extremely delicious and certainly no dish was dissapointing. The Thai beef salad was to die for and I enjoyed it very much. I would recommend this restaurant if you are in the area as food was great and prices very reasonable. We sat outside as it is quite a small place.Staff were efficient and friendly.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I’d love to be able to tell you that Modern Thai in Mt Gravatt East is good value. Or will warm the cockles with a cosy ambience. Or that it brings you an authentic taste of Thailand - even a faint one - in that rich culinary tradition.

For us, it did none of this things. I really, really wanted to like this place. It was 9th on Trip Advisor's list of Brisbane restaurants when we checked it out. Many of those reviews sang its praises.

Maybe tonight was just an 'off' night.

Our dishes while flavoursome, were watery and just... well, 'so so'. It felt like whoever was cooking just couldn't be bothered to make the effort. The yellow curry and massaman curries looked, and tasted, like the protein (chicken in one - prawns in the other) - had been stir-fried in a can of coconut milk with a handful of sugar and a dusting of spice stirred threw.

I could do this at home. For $100 I was expecting more. A lot more.

The prawn yellow curry had a miserly 7 prawns in the dish. The chicken dish was marginally better, but was filled out with more potato with chicken. Very disappointing.

Given that Modern Thai is in the heart of suburbia it does not attract city types, business travellers and tourists. It relies on locals, and it needs repeat business.

If this is typical of the experience on offer, then in these fiscally restrained times, I don't expect to see it survive the deep recession we are going into.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to entice me back and I would not recommend you spend your hard-earned dollars here. Give it to a place that really wants, and deserves your business.

brings you a memory, even a faint one, of that rich Greek culinary tradition, to assure you that its opening will cause a dramatic revision upwards of the generally tepid to negative perception of Greek cuisine. U

3  Thank Amore55119