“Solid cider & risotto”
Review of Verve Cafe

Verve Cafe
Ranked #38 of 4,313 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Sydney, Australia
“Solid cider & risotto”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

It seems to be a local institution. Kind of low rent basement vibe supporting local art , reminiscent of student hangout but pricier. Good range of ciders, excellent staff. Really good risotto - servings huge! Try the vodka & artichoke or the cheesy one delicious and cheap $ 110 for 3 mains, garlic pizza & 3 drinks

Visited June 2014
1 Thank globalgal444

“Very good place to eat in Brisbane”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I am new to Brisbane from America and I was looking for Italian food. I eat at Verve once per week. The food is excellent. The beer is very cold. The owner and staff are always very friendly and helpful. The prices are very reasonable by Australian standards. The location is "rustic" being in a basement with no windows and dim lighting but I really enjoy the atmosphere. Always seems to be very busy at dinner time which is certainly a good sign. I would highly recommend to anyone.
Larry H

• Visited June 2014
Floreat, Australia
“Busy noisey basement”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

Had a business lunch here. Quite noisy and busy. Moderate service and moderate food. Nothing really special. Its a popular place but with so much better competition in the city I wonder how long they will remain unless there is an overall improvement, Hand written bills - strange.

• Visited May 2014
Toronto, Canada
“The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Had lunch at this popular spot last Friday. Clearly it is a happening eatery. It was jam-packed and lined up. We got there just prior to the line-up and were lucky to get a table. The basement location has its charms but if you are looking for a sun-filled dining experience, this is not the place. This also leads to a very noisy room, making conversation much like that of being at a club with loud music. Get ready to lean over to listen to whomever is talking to you - including the wait staff. The service needs improvements. The waiter who took our drink order never returned with our drinks and when another server returned, she only brought one drink of the 3 that were ordered and we waited about 20 minutes for the other 2 drinks by which time, mine was almost empty and they did not notice or offer me another. There is an extensive cider menu if that is your thing. The food was good but not great. My Salmon Cakes salad was drowning in salad dressing. Good thing the Salmon Cakes were excellent as it made up for the soggy greens. The pasta dishes (lasagna and tortellini) ordered by my dining partners were nothing exceptional but generous servings if that appeals to you. Once the big lunch rush died down and the place cleared out, the wait staff cleared the plates of the other 2 at my table as I was still eating...a faux pas as any decent restaurant knows. Still, I was hopeful. Surely a busy happening spot such as this would be able to overcome such minor flaws in service with the food but honestly - by the time we were finished, I concluded it really did not. The final straw was when we got the bill, we had been overcharged (bills are hand written and added apparently) by $32. Good thing I reviewed it. Verve needs to get their act together. With so many other choices in Brisbane, the competition will not need to do much to win.

• Visited May 2014
“Expensive and Tiny”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

After having our flight delayed 2 hours, all we wanted when we got to Brisbane was a pizza, we were staying in Spring Hill, so drove into the city and parked and went in search of pizza. Could not for the life of us find a pizza shop. A helpful local told us Verve would do takeaway pizzas.
Technically not a pizza shop, choice was limited. We ordered our pizzas and when they arrived cost $33 dollars and were lucky if they were a small pizza. Tiny and expensive and so disappointing.

Visited May 2014