“First Up!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #81 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Amsterdam
“First Up!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

Let me say straight up, I was advised at time of booking that the hotel had a bar on the room top and that I would hear some noise through the night so I was prepared for the worst. In saying this, I was on level 2 and although I could hear the muffled sound of laughter and the bass beat of music it did not affect my sleep in the very luxurious bed with it’s crisp sheets and abundance of pillows.

The room was small, but impeccably clean. Everything in the room looked like it had been carefully thought out. I loved the blue ceramic kettle, the Nespresso machine, the chocolate brownies and the general hip and funky feel.

The staff was certainly the best I have ever encountered and I have visited many hotels in and outside of Australia. Diana on reception was extremely professional whilst being warm incredibly helpful and courteous. The boys manning the lift of a night were equally friendly and even when I arrived back at midnight I was greeted with a smile and asked how my day was.

I loved waking up in the morning and slipping 2 doors down to ‘Alfred and Constance' for a coffee. It was incredible to see this establishment’s metamorphosis from a 700 odd people packed bar/club, to a morning coffee hub for businessmen and a large mix of people from all walks of life. It is so worth seeing this place in the day purely for the attention to detail paid to it’s truly incredible fit out.

Back to Limes! I spent 3 nights at this Hotel and I have to say I loved it!

Would I return? Absolutely! I would stay here again as the bed was comfy the staff made me feel like an old friend and the location was great. It is definitely somewhere you want to check out!

My sincere thanks to all the staff for making my Brisbane escape so memorable and so special.

Ps. The Lychee Cocktail on the rooftop is a definite must! :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Yanuza

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Sunshine Coast, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

My fiancé booked this room in what appeared to be a lovely little boutique hotel, as we were going to watch a concert close by. We were arriving separately, and upon check in we're told there was a $15 per car charge for parking and I could see the hotel is located next to a very busy pub.

Getting into the elevator I saw there was a 21 st birthday on the rooftop bar.

When we arrived home from the concert and attempted to sleep, we were greeted by thumping music from the bar two floors away, the bar next door and every single attendee from the 21st birthday that was drunk, slamming doors and being loud and rude. No one seems to monitor noise on the floors.

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and this is by far the noisiest and most disappointing stay we have ever had. We both have long drives tomorrow and we are not looking forward to it.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Casestribs
Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

We booked this hotel as it was listed as part of the Design Hotels listing and was well located to where we wanted to be in Brisbane. Actually in hindsight this location was sort of tucked away and not close to much. The hotel itself was quite small & compact with a bar and function area on the 5 or 6th floor. Parking was available at a charge in a nearby specialized parking complex. Parking out front was always a challenge and quite inconvenient when checking in & out. The rooms were modern but quite small for someone to stay in for a few days. More suited for short term business stay-over. Breakfast was available at a nearby cafe, also owned (I think) by the same company. The breakfast was not great. The biggest issue we had was the partying noise and music from the roof top bar area. It was packed each night (just before Xmas Day) we stayed and basically raged until well after midnight. We were on the 1st Floor and could well & truly hear the music and crowd noise. Maybe we simply picked the wrong time of the year to stay at the Limes Hotel in terms of roof top parties!!! The staff were by far the best part of our stay and were very friendly, helpful and great to deal with.

Room Tip: As far away as possible from the top floor bar area.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here Thursday December 12 in the middle of the first floor (room 8) - facing Constance Street. The stay was exceptional. Firstly my room, though a tad small was well designed and had all of the things you would expect in a 5 star hotel (I travel extensively so feel well qualified to judge). The staff were friendly and accommodating. As for the roof top bar, yes it is popular - but hey its the Christmas period, what do people expect. And contrary to other reports, the noise DOES NOT carry through to every single room - I know and I was there and slept well. My bed was exceptional and the linen clean. The bathroom was modern and comfortable, the shower inviting with good pressure. So, in short I enjoyed my stay and would recommend Limes.

Room Tip: Given recent negative reviews perhaps a room on a lower level might suit some.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank mrmr1964
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

My husband and I whenever in Brisbane like to do a night out in the city, on a couple of occasions we have chosen to stay at the Lime Hotel due to its location. The hotel itself is nice and clean. The staff have ALWAYS been friendly and very helpful. I have noticed the last few times being here that the rooftop bar has really taken off and on the weekends it gets quiet packed and obvisouly with that - comes noise. The rooms are small however given the hotels location and the fact that it has a rooftop bar the rooms are really just for those that plan on going out most of the time and not staying in. If you are wanting a quiet romantic relaxing weekend then no this is not the place however if your wanting to party the weekend and head out on the town then yes this is a suitable place to stay. My husband and I are not young and we dont go out clubbing but we like to go out for a nice dinner and then to a bar. We have found that on the times we have stayed here the noise has never been an issue.... in saying that we have never had a room close to the rooftop or near the lifts - sound does carry down through the lift. In ALL honesty I can't fault the hotel at all. It really depends on what you are staying for on whether you will enjoy or not - its not a hotel for families, work trips or quiet chilling romantic getaways. Outside of that its fine! Clean, funky, modern, welcoming staff - we have enjoyed our stays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jasmine N
LimesHotel, Front Office Manager at Limes Hotel Brisbane, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Jasmine N,

Thank you for taking time to post your review and it's great to hear that Limes Hotel has been always the perfect hotel for your weekend night out in Brisbane. We look forward to welcoming you back and have a great festive season.

Kind regards,
Henry Herdian
FO Manager
Dunedin, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

As this was the second time we stayed at the Limes we knew to expect some noise from the hotel bar. As we had booked a courtyard room we were not so concerned. Unfortunately what was not told to us was that it is the noise from the bar next door that echos round the courtyard and room all day and night. Noise from people using the lift going to the bar is very loud as well and uncontrolled. Slamming of doors can also be disturbing. Having double glazed windows and a door that didn't have a big gap at the bottom would have helped. I am writing this as I lay awake in the hotel.

Housekeeping seemed slack, used towels stuffed in the wardrobe on arrival, stray items left in the room. Light not working. Not given/told about Fitness First voucher or whether we were able to use the spa pools on the roof.

There seems to be more concern paid to the bar patrons than the hotel guests. No warning about the noise from Alfred and Constance when we checked in. Not 4 star by any means.

Past it's best and will never stay again.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SarahNZ49
LimesHotel142, General Manager at Limes Hotel Brisbane, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
Hi SarahNZ49,

I’m sorry to hear you were unhappy with your second stay at Limes. All our guests and especially our return guest are very important to us and I’m disappointed to hear we failed to live up to your expectations. The roof Top Bar is during the Christmas season very busy and noise levels are higher due to it. Whilst we try to contain the level of noise filtering through the hotel we have failed on this occasion.

With regard to the towels in the wardrobe and stray items I have addressed this with Housekeeping department.

The pools are free for Hotel guests to use when there is no function on the roof top and I do apologise if this and the Fitness First Voucher was not explained upon check in. I’m currently reviewing the check in procedures with all staff to prevent this from happening again.
Thank you for your comments. It is through critic that we are able to improve services. I would like to extend an invitation to you to come back to Limes Hotel should you choose to.
Please do not hesitate to contact me. Thanking again.
Kind regards

Magnus Hojden
Limes Hotel
info@limeshotel.com.au
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Would not return to this hotel.

The noise from the rooftop bar carries through every single room in the hotel. I stayed for three nights and every single night the noise went well beyond when I wanted to sleep as I was working the entire stay. The staff are lovely but ineffective as its very clear me priority is the bar and not hotel guests, they keep "asking" drunk party goers to keep the noise down which of course doesn't occur. Loud music and groups of people singing well into the night (2am my first night and midnight the other nights) with drunk people spilling into the street and yelling well after that.

The rooms are extremely small and kind of depressing, a lot like being inside a shipping container and about the same size.

There is a bizarre smell that comes from the bathroom that is quite unpleasant and overpowering, possibly something wrong with their plumbing or some mildew etc.

After all that, basically everything annoyed me at this hotel. There is no desk to work, the staff have very little idea about the area, and the sheets each night came with a different stain (one so large I have no idea how housekeeping wouldn't have seen it). There is a cafe next door but none of the restaurants in the area like there are with emporium. There is not a gym. You cannot get access to the pool as there is always a private function on. Bathroom is not particularly clean (but not a pig sty either)

If you are going to a function at the bar then perhaps stay here. If you are going to Brisbane for any other reason stay at Emporium.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Maverick2020
Hi Maverick2020,

Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectations.
I understand there was noise from the roof top bar during your stay due to Christmas functions at the rooftop bar and would like to apologise for the inconvenience. This should have been brought to your attention upon booking and I’m sorry if this was not explained. The rooftop bar is a lively part of our business especially during our weekend but also part of the success of our Hotel; however I believe we could have done more to reduce the noise during your stay.

I’m glad to hear you found our staff lovely, unfortunately on this occasion they seem to have not been able to reduce the noise and I’m looking into what can be done to handle situations like this better in the future. I do think the staff is knowledgeable of the area around us and we do continuous training on concierge services with staff, so I’m investigating who will need more training on this part.

Finally in regard to the stains on the sheet; we pride ourselves with the high standard of our Housekeeping and we inspect every room before check in however we seem to have failed picking up on this. Although all our sheets are inspected and clean they should be free from stains from Laundry Company at all times.

The room price is inclusive of a Fitness First pass, situated around the corner and I’m sorry if this was not explained upon check in.

Finally in regard to the smell I’m having a plumber looking into the pluming in the room you stayed in. I can assure you that the drains are cleaned on a weekly basis.
I understand you are not interested coming back to Limes Hotel however I would encourage you to give us another chance to prove we are a great hotel in a great location so please do not hesitate to contact me should you wish to come back to Limes Hotel.

Kind regards