“Beautiful and friendly environment .”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Zafron - CLOSED

Zafron
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Zafron has a simple and unpretentious ambience to provide a comfortable social space that features quality and taste. It's raison d'etre is how the cuisine tastes and presents. Only quality ingredients are used and no shortcuts are taken. Everything is hand-prepared fresh by Chef. Zafron has a reputation as a quality venue for large group bookings. Chef's Signature dish for Zafron is her Caspian Chicken. In this East-meets-West dish, Persian ingredients such as pomegranate molasses, pine nuts and Persian saffron contribute to a unique taste with a French-style design. The chicken tenderloins are marinated in Persian pomegranate molasses then pan seared, rolled in crushed roasted pine nuts, breadcrumbs and aromatic spices and baked. The tenderloins are then placed on wilted spinach and caramelised carrots, then dressed with a beautiful saffron white wine sauce and drizzled pomegranate molasses. Only one place on the planet has this dish and it is our most ordered item on the menu! Chef's Tapas Shared Plates are unrivaled for taste and value. Each platter comes with 4 tapas for two persons with a lovely salad garnish. Each tapas and sauce is hand-made.
Brisbane
“Beautiful and friendly environment .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Never disappointed. We visit Zafran regularly and always, both food and service are excellent. The quality is high in every aspect.

• Visited August 2013

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Living in South Australia we don't get to eat at this awesome place as often as we'd like, but we make sure we get there whenever in Brisbane. The food is brilliant, the serves are generous & the service is first rate. We are always welcomed back each time & the staff are fast & efficient at getting our meals to us promptly. The atmosphere is very friendly & there is always more food than we can comfortably eat and let's face it, who wants to leave a good restaurant feeling comfortable?? Can't wait to get back there again the next time we're in town.

“A regular treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and I have been customers at Zafron now ever since Michael and Fay came to New Farm and we have taken so many of our friends there. Without hesitation they have, as have we, ranked Zafron highly in their experience in all aspects - whether it be the level and variety of the cuisine, the generosity of the servings, the price of the dishes, the ready welcome delivered by Michael and his staff. We can do no more than continue to recommend Zafron as being one of the best restaurants in Brisbane for what people look for most - hospitality and value for money! Well done and keep up the service.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Peter R
Brisbane, Australia
“Makes all others seem like the usual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

I just loved the food here. Savoured every mouthful. All courses were amazing in flavours. I ended the night with the Persian icecream. It was heaven. Went on a Friday night and was surprised it wasnt full. The staff were very attentive and friendly. I dont mind this being a BYO restaurant as we were able to purchase a bottle of wine closeby. It was my first time here after being recommended and I will definitely be back, real soon. I can only hope I walk out feeling the same next time as this to me was the best food I have had in ages.

Brisbane, Australia
“A lovely evening out, but not the #1 in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I visited Zafron on a Friday evening with a friend for dinner. We booked for 7pm and there was a table waiting for me when I arrived slightly early. I had brought a bottle of wine with me (the restaurant is BYO only: $5.00 corkage per bottle of wine), and the gentleman who was serving my table was very attentive in getting me stemware and a carafe of water plus two tumblers for the table. When my friend arrived we were chatting briefly before a lady came over to see if we were ready to order. He said that we hadn't even opened the menus yet and she was quite clipped in her response and turned quickly to head off elsewhere. We put that down to the fact that it was a busy evening and maybe she was a bit stressed by so many tables being full. The same lady returned shortly after to take our order, which we did, and took two of our menus but not the dessert and cold drinks menu, and walked off when I was in mid sentence holding the menu out for her to take.

We ordered the Mediterranean dip platter to share as a starter, which at $16.50 generously sated us. The original gentleman who had seated me at the table returned to take away the platter once we had finished and asked if we were ready for mains to come out. the service was certainly speedy, which I didn't mind, but if you were after a relaxed evening you may have to request the meals to be staggered. I ordered the Caspian chicken ($28.00) and my friend ordered the braised beef cheeks ($32.50). Both meals were cooked well and presented beautifully, though I personally though the beef cheeks could have been a bit more moist. Having said that, the marbling was caramelised perfectly and the cheek fell apart effortlessly. Also hungry diners please note - the menu states "cheeks" though only one cheek will be served, so don't expect a mountain of meat on your plate! After dinner we were shown the dessert menus, and chose the house specialties - the Persian ice cream and the Koolfee. Both were $7.50 and were modest but appropriately sized (the Persian ice cream is available in a $10.00 large size, but after two courses you can be assured your eyes will be bigger than your belly!), and added a delicate taste at the end of a very flavoursome meal.

I had a delightful meal at this restaurant, though feel that it is very focussed on ensuring diners are served quickly. It is quite a busy place to eat on a Friday evening so this may have been a contributing factor, especially since one of my hosts seemed stressed throughout the time I was there. I would definitely go back, though might choose a quieter evening through the week, and probably not for a special occasion unless I knew a friend specifically wanted to go there.

1 Thank Timothy R