“Cheap and cheerful”

Aussie Way Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #54 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights. It has a good location for the price and it's just 15 mins walk from the bus centre which has all main bus / rail routes and greyhound departures. I stayed in a double room which was clean and a good size. It has a vintage feel about it as it is quite old but has lots of character! The shared bathroom was clean and I always had a warm shower which was great! The kitchen is great for cooking and the tv channel options are also good for chilling. The only negative was the lack of wifi but i think it may have been more of a problem with picking it up on the iphone as people with laptops seemed to access it fine! Overall, this is cheap and cheerful!

• Stayed: April 2013
Christina R, Manager at Aussie Way Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

It was so nice to read your report. Thank you verry much.

Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

Hostel Location: On a residential street so it's nice and quiet. A 5min walk from a shopping centre with a supermarket and cinema,a 10min walk to Roma Street Station and 20min from Brisbane CBD.

Positives of Aussie Way;
+ Building's character. A proper 'Aussie' house from the outside and well finished wooden furniture inside.
+ It's own pool.
+ Foxtel TV in communal lounge.
+ Fantastic character bathroom with powerful shower.
+ A kitchen with an oven and well stocked utensils.

Negatives of Aussie Way;
- A fan but no air-con in rooms, just poorly working 'humidifiers'.
- Staff. Girl working on reception seemed like it was the last job in the world she wanted to do with short, one word answers ans no hint of a smile.

Would I Recommend To Friends: I'd definitely recommend the double room we had in the back building.

***Australia Zoo; It might seem a complicated trek from Brisbane but don't be put off. Simply go to Roma Street Station and you can get a direct train to Beerwah and the free courtesy coach to zoo from there. Pricey entrance but worth it, allow a whole day.***

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Liver_Red

Thank you for that you would recommend our double rooms. All rooms have an aircondition unit except one room and maybe this is the room you stayed in.We didn't aircon this room because we have a small amount of people who would prefer not to have aircon. We did put a water cooler and ceiling fan in the room. I am so sorry that you were given this room and not an airconed one.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Aussie Way Backpackers is a small, clean and friendly hostel. You can walk in the city and the next supermarkt is 5 minutes away. In my two month stay I had had a great time and it felt like a second home. Clean rooms with a locker and a fridge in every room. The kitchen is well-equipped and if its getting too hot you can jump in the pool to cool off. The staff is always helpful and friendly. I am looking forward to come back.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Management response:Responded February 25, 2013

It's been great having you as a guest here. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. You're always welcome back here. Safe travels!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed long term in Aussie Way Backpackers, from November 2012 to January 2013, the staff were really friendly, a very homely hostel with a good friendly vibe where I had some amazing times.

The hostel is cleaned every morning.

Nice quiet hostel, to get some decent sleep.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Management response:Responded February 19, 2013

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us and felt so at home. We were very happy to have you stay with us too.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

I was staying at the Aussie way backpackers in January 2013. It is not a party hostel, but a really good location for relaxing. It has a great pool and the rooms are in a very good condition. The staff is helpfull and pays a lot of attention on the cleanliness of the accommodations.

The hostel has a variety of rooms available. It even has some rooms available for families.

Once you have been to the Aussie Way Hostel, I'm very sure of it, that you'll get back there when you are in Brisbane. So if you are looking for a good hostel, where you can relax and meet some nice people, I really recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Management response:Responded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your kind words about our hostel. We're pleased to hear you could relax at our hostel.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend when travelling in Summer 2012 (Oz's winter). The owner was a very friendly man who helped us with all aspects of our stay; where to go, directions and bus times etc.

Now I have a bit of hostel-phobia so the idea of bunking up with several others doesn't appeal at all, however we had a lovely double room to ourselves which was basic but had everything we required.

The hostel has two buildings; the one at the front houses the bunk rooms and a communal kitchen and dining area and the building at the back was more of an apartment which is where we stayed both times we visited. That had a small kitchen and living room area with three bedrooms - as it was off-season it was very quiet and we never saw the other people in the apartment.

Overall a lovely stay in a very traditional colonial building - opt for a private double in the back house, the bathroom is great and as it backs onto a side road there's no car noise which is handy when you're super jet-lagged!

If I ever re-visit Brisbane on a budget, I'll definitely opt to stay here again. Oh, and the main business district of this beautiful city is literally a 5 -10 minute walk away - easy!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded January 22, 2013

We're very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

To be sure, Aussie Way is generally a nice hostel. It has a good location, beautiful rooms and friendly staff. It LOOKS as one of the nicest hostels in Australia. However, what I couldn't see (at least initially) was a terrible bed bugs infestation! I was literally eaten alive by these monsters and despite my best efforts I have brought them home (and now my apartment is infested and I will need to spend hundreds of $ to get rid off these insects). I suspect that the problem is limited to some rooms as there were a lot of long-term guests who looked alive and healthy, but trust me - you don't want to have the misfortune at staying at one of the infested rooms. I understand these things can happen even to the best, but this scale of infestation probably means weeks (if not months?) of ignoring the problem and this is simply unnaceptable!

Room Tip: make sure to get a room with no bed bugs!!!