“A faultless hostel experience.”
Review of Kookaburra Inn

Kookaburra Inn
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Clean, comfortable and spacious room; clean and well equipped facilities; homely shared lounge and patio areas; superb location (quiet as a mouse at night but easily walkabout to the city); and efficient, friendly and helpful service. And beautiful dogs! I can't think of a single negative thing to say. I've stayed in every Australian city and as good value, city centre budget accommodation goes, the Kookaburra Inn is peerless.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Patrickjt3

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I stayed at the Kookaburra inn for two weeks, so I really got to know the place well. The inn is located in spring hill which is about a 20 min walk from the center of Brisbane. It's about a ten dollar taxi ride from the center of town, including Roma Street station so take it if you have bags. The location is quiet and feels safe while only a quick walk to any type of night life you're looking for. It's also close to a large shopping center and a 7-11, perfect for buying food for your stay.

The inn itself has most of it's rooms in the basement but don't let this scare you it's not underground. All the rooms are private, unless you book as two, and all have refrigerators. There is a common kitchen on both floors, plenty of outside space to enjoy as well as a nice TV lounge with free wifi. The kitchen it well stocked with cookware, utensils and stove top burners. The TV room has sky TV as well as a dvd player and a large collection of DVDs you can watch for free.

Being there for two weeks I watched the friendly staff clean the common areas everyday and even pick up after messy guests!Wendy, the owner, was extremely kind and her dogs were super friendly and cute. The facilities were not only quite clean but well kept and modern. If you are looking for a clean and quiet location this is the place for you.

If/when I come back to Brisbane I know where I'll be staying!

Some tips:

If you don't like dogs you shouldn't stay here as they do follow Wendy, and some of the staff, throughout the inn during the day. They are friendly and very calm and Wendy and her staff do a great job of picking up after them.

If you are a traveler with limited mobility call and specificity ask for a room on the top floor so you don't have to go down the steps to the basement.

There IS free wifi but the connection isn't strong enough to get it from your rooms. The kitchen and tv room are the best locations.

This isn't a five star resort it's a budget location thus your room isn't serviced during your stay unless, you're there over a week.

Room Tip: If you have mobility issues and walking down a few flights of steps might be a problem call and ask...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank gittelbug
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I'd just landed from a long haul flight from the UK and was given a warm welcome and a clean, quiet, well equipped room. Just what I needed to get caught up on sleep and my life in order before starting a tour. Wendy, and all the staff were helpful and informative, giving directions to the nearest shops, directions to attractions, advice what to do and how to get there.
There was free wifi, a sink and fridge in my room, as well as a well equipped and clean communal kitchen, indoor and outdoor seating/social areas, and a couple of dogs for cuddles.
Would definitely stay here again, as although not in the centre was easy to get there, and much quieter for it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Rebecca D
Reviewed August 18, 2013

My friend and I stayed only one night for the Ekka show on last Thursday but both of us agree that was a good Inn to stay with in Brisbane. We arrive early but Wendy (The owner I believe) allowed us to check-in first as we were rushing with some document stuffs in government. Also they are so friendly to help me to print out my Ekka show ticket that save my time to looking a printer.

It is more than an Inn price value, a lovely, warm, clean and quiet place to stay with. I believe we would stay again when we travel in Brisbane in the future. Plus they have 2 huge adorable dogs in the Inn :]

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank winson021388
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Big thanks to Wendy and partners, we had a wonderful stayed in Brisbane, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.
Besides Kookaburra, Wendy helps in arranging rest of accommodations, transfer pick-up, Greyhound coaches including a day trip booking to Mount Tamborine. With her best arrangements, we back right at the door-step of Kookaburra Inn for one night stayed before our departure to Sydney.
The quality bed was comfortable and clean. Common kitchen was one of the best among all our accommodations in Australia as we been traveled all over.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank KikiW4
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I only stayed here one night, but I enjoyed it. I arrived quite early, but the lovely woman (owner, I assume) at reception allowed me to check-in early so I could maximize my time in Brisbane. It feels like a hostel in a way -- there are private bedrooms, but communal bathrooms and a kitchen for everyone to use. There is also a nice patio off the kitchen to sit, check emails (free wifi!!!!), and relax. I am fairly sure I heard a Kookaburra bird singing (or "laughing" as they do) the morning I was leaving...Must explain the name of the place! I would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: I think most or all of the rooms are on the first floor, so you have to be prepared to go down stair...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank kmccolli
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This is an affordable place to stay, and offers the essentials only for an essentials price. Sink with only cold water in the room, fridge in the room. Toilets and showers are separate. This would be a great place to stay when it's warm in Brizzy but unfortunately when I arrived it was very grim outside, leading to a cold and damp experience inside. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo