Kookaburra Inn
  • Fitness center
$162
$136
  • Restaurant
The Point Brisbane Hotel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$125
Hilton Brisbane(Brisbane)
$154
$150
  • Restaurant
Royal Albert Hotel(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$124
$112
  • Room Service
Royal On The Park(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$115
$110
Orbitz.com
$79
$61
$62
  • Pool
All reviewsshared bathroomfree tea and coffeefortitude valleycommunal kitchenlarge supermarketfriendly place to stayquiet streetminute walkdouble roomcommunal areasfree wifistayed here for a weeksingle bedwithin walking distanceother guestsa lovely stayenjoyed my stay
Reviewed April 13, 2011

The place was such a dump we refused to stay here. We first arrived and were unable to get into the building because it was locked. We waited outside with our bags constantly ringing the doorbell wondering if we had the wrong location because it looked a lot different than it did online. Someone in sweat pants opened the door with two large dogs behind him. We walked up to the reception area and were taken down to our room. The entire building smelt of the two large dogs that were freely walking around the premises. Now, I truly am a dog lover, but not the smell of them. Nor do I want have them in my rented accomodation while I'm on holidays. We left and were still charged the nights accomodation. My daughter tried to ask for the money back and was hung up by the manager, David. Awful place to stay paired with awful service. Do not stay here!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. There are plenty more around!
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank TravelAllTheTime_11
Reviewed January 31, 2011

The hosts are extremely friendly and helped whenever I had a question concering tours, sights, bus timetables..
The rooms are fairly basic and small, but that´s just all I needed for sleeping. The price is great value! There are several kitchens and a living room to relax. Free tea and coffee is offered. Everything was perfectly clean.
The hostel is located in a quiet beautiful area 10 minutes walk away from chinatown, t20 minutes to the citycenter, and 15 minutes to the brisbane transit center.
I just had a great time there and felt comfortable with all the suport and care of the hosts.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank sonne83
Reviewed October 14, 2010

This hostel was my first stop in Australia and was going to be the base for me to get settled and find permanent accommodation. The rooms are all private which was ideal to sleep off the jet lag. The downstairs rooms can be a little noisy (from the kitchen) and as I was unsure of the length of my stay the staff went out of their way to put me in a quieter location. Rooms are quite basic with a bed, fan, fridge and sink (I think some double rooms are available with air con). The showers are powerful and the bathroom downstairs are clean and modern but upstairs could do with updating (but are clean).

There is plenty of outside seating and a communal TV room but the hostel is not the best for socialising and meeting people if thats what you want. Location-wise it is ideal walking distance to town and a five minute walk to the local supermarket. The area itself is quiet and residential.

The staff could not have been more helpful - particularly Wendy. They ensured I had everything I needed and would allow you privacy as well as being around for help and for a chat and their warmth and friendliness helped me adjust more easily to moving here.

Overall I would definitely recommend this to others, although if you are on a tight budget or want a party place then look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank swanning_off
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Small but charming hostel. Staff very helpful there's two large hostel dogs who on arrival appear intimidating but couldn't be more friendly. About halfway between the CBD and the Valley/Chinatown so it's well enough placed to get around. Rooms a little small but for no frills accommodation I have no complaints

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2010

From the very beginning of my trip planning the managers of the Kookaburra were so helpful. And they didn't let us down when we were there. They answered all our questions and even helped us book accommodation in Sydney. I've never stayed in a backpackers so I wasn't sure what to expect. Once we arrived at the Kookaburra we didn't need anything but our feet and public transportation to get around. It was so easy to get around Brisbane using the Inn as our home base.

My only warning is, if you are a light sleeper to bring earplugs. The rooms are very near the communal kitchen and the area and hallway echo. I would recommend this Inn to anyone who is looking for a clean, relaxed, calm and well-priced accommodation in Brisbane.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends