“Orgasmic Hand Rolls”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brisbane, Australia
“Orgasmic Hand Rolls”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

You either love or hate the chef.
I understand why people dislike his sexual inferences, however he simply makes the BEST hand rolls which have been referred to as 'orgasmic" and my most conservative friends will agree), the Sashimi and Sushi is simply divine. So much so that 10 yo daughter will eat a whole platter of sashimi just for her. It is her favourite restaurant ever.

• Visited December 2011

Hong Kong, China
“Great service for Average Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2011

This restaurant was suggested to me. The restaurant had a great atmosphere but the food was average at best. I was shocked when the bill came as it was priced for great food not average food.

• Visited October 2011
Brisbane, Queensland
“Nice restaurant, fun atmosphere, food, depending on your order”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

If you choose wisely the food can be exquisite, but there are some that dishes that bring it down eg: A seafood, vegetable and noodle (too many) broth cooked at the table. The broth, lacked in flavour and to me the seafood all tasted the same although there were different types of fish, eg, tuna, salmon, trout? (gelatinous) and I think snapper, plus the squid and prawns.
Like all sushi restaurants, there are good and not so good dishes. The teriyaki chicken was a delight and tempura seafood and veges were lovely. I am willing to give this restaurant another go. For parking, you will find that the Cathedral Village Car Park is in the same complex as the restaurant and is $5.00 for the night.

• Visited July 2011
Sydney Australia
“Over-priced, Under-delivered - I could have been a regular”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2011

`Service was good, they made an effort to meet my dietary requirements.

Value was apalling. It's really my own fault - I didn't listen to the reviews!

Fifty dollars made me:

Lightly crumbed pork fillet $19.80
Served with some cabbage.
This was nice, though overpriced.
It was good that the crumbs were so light.

2 Glasses of penfolds chardonnary approx. $8 each

Fruit salad
1 sixth of an apple, 1 twentieth of a honeyjew melon and 1 fifth of an orange )
That cost close to $9!! Yes it did taste good (as fruit does), but I felt felt ripped off.
What it would have cost to make: $1.50 max. Profit: $7.50

Green tea ice cream

This was served with moch cream. Why, why, why? So wrong. The green tea ice cream had unpleasant chunks of ice in it and the texture was way out of wack. The chef was advised that had been left in the freezer too long, and had big chunks of ice in it.
They still felt it appropriate to put it on my bill. I had some at Hiromeki (a much more casual but much better value place) down the street which was $4 instead of $6.80 and tasted about 500 times as good.

One of the staff asked me "Are you from Sydney" as he handed me the bill. He asked me how the food was. I said it was nice, except for the green tea ice cream. No response. No - sorry, let me remove that for you. I am pretty sure he was standing right there when the waitress reported there was something wrong with it. Was he asking me if I was from out of town so I would just pay and leave? Do people not understand that there are no people from cities and their local haunts anymore, that people are from everywhere and go everywhere and write reviews...? I really felt like I had just been taken the long way home by a taxi driver at the airport who thought I didn't know where I was going.

I advised them no, I was from Brisbane. I walked out of there and it's unlikely I will go back. I work close and I could have been a regular customer if I didn't feel taken advantage of by the pricing and that they charged me for something so clearly under par. By the time I made it home, I had a conversation with someone about how it was so overpriced. They told me that they too had always wanted to try it but now they wouldn't. So that's a lot of future business that was lost.

It's a shame I walked out with a bad taste in my mouth, even though some of the food was nice, and the service was good. Like many people here, I ignored the reviews. Anyway - my advice: that little snow capped mountain on the sign that says "come hither" (as it has to me for 7 years). Just remember the icy bite, and consider your options! My advice to Oyama: word of mouth goes a long way, so it's worth practically implementing solutions to the feedback that is given.

With a bit of a better attitude, your restaurant could be packed every night like the Japanese Koh Yah (at the end of Chinatown mall - a great one where you can get a feed for ten or twenty dollars if you so desire and it's pumping with vibrant energy) as are many of the other Asian restaurants around. You could be doing deals, and putting bottoms on seats. I never really see your restaurant full, and now I understand why. It is simply overpriced.

This restaurant, whilst there are lots of laughs between staff, which is nice - well, the restaurant seems to have lost its passion to me. Though according to other reviewers, the sushi is amazing and I didn't try that.

• Visited June 2011
2 Thank increduloustraveller
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favourite restaurant in Brisbane”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2011

I have been here several times now, always with a different bunch of friends and I am always surprised at how good the sushi is here - particularly the hand rolls - the nori crunches in your mouth and the creaminess and flavour balance of the rice is a delight to eat.
Although I am not a huge fan of sushimi, I still like the scallops, salmon and surprisingly, the octopus.
Worth looking through the menu for some gems like the fried rice - totally different to chinese fried rice, the scallops in ginger were fantastic and even the miso soup is fantastic.
The head chef now greets me like an old friend and will happily recommend what is best for the day, service is prompt.
I try to go to Oyama everytime I am in Brisbane and never tire of the food.

• Visited April 2011