“Not Awful but Wouldn't Stay Again”
Review of Mantra on Mary

Mantra on Mary
Ranked #70 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Comparatively short notice found me at M on Mary rather than my preferred option in Brisbane of Quay West (see previous review). Stayed in 1 Bedroom "Riverview" - refer to my photos for the extent of the actual view of the river from the 26th floor! A very musty smell greeted me on entry to the apartment and there was some damage to the lounge room wall (I neglected to take a photo).

I think I was the only person over the age of 23 in the entire building - it is really an apartment block rather than a hotel and it obviously houses a huge number of students.

Normal check-out is advertised as 10:00am but I requested 11am on arrival which, I was assured, was 'entered into the system'. At 10:56 the next morning, as I was leaving the apartment, reception started making "Bugger Off" phone calls to the room which I felt was rather rude. When I mentioned this at reception I was told they'd made a mistake and hadn't seen on the system that I had an 11am check-out. Not sure whether I'd rather be considered rude or incompetent to be honest!

Overall - weird musty smell, students everywhere (OK, if that's your thing, of course), paid extra for a "Riverview" that you needed advanced astronomical equipment to actually see and either rude or incompetent front desk staff (take your pick).

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for the "Riverview" option.
Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RussellJW_10
LeanneMonMary, Front Office Manager at Mantra on Mary, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Dear RusselJW_10,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the M on Mary.

I am disappointed that you experienced these issues during your stay in our one bedroom apartments and can assure you that this is not up to our normal high standards. Our one bedroom apartments boast both river and city views and when booked direct we can certainly add details in to the booking to ensure the booking suits your needs.

On behalf of our front office team I would like to apologise for the phone call regarding your late checkout time, I have personally followed up with the relevant staff member. I have also advised our Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers about the comments regarding your apartment, which have now been rectified and I thank you for your feedback.

Should you wish to discuss your recent booking further or choose to book with us again at the M on Mary I invite you to contact me directly on 07 3503 8000. I would be more than happy to personally oversee your next stay with us.

We wish you well on your future travels.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Upon checking in we had an efficient person, whom let us know what the best room with the view would be and we weren't disappointed when we walked in. My only comment was the parking. With all Brisbane hotels you have to pay for the day which is fine, but what i objected to was that when we wanted to check out the next day we were charged $15, though it is normally $30. Most other hotels let you stay while you go for breakfast or another walk around the city before leaving. I think it should have been at least 24hrs from you can check into the hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 2608 which i thought had a good view of the city. you couldn't hear the A/C noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Sally S, Director of Sales at Mantra on Mary, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. As we have limited parking, guests generally aren’t permitted to leave their cars after the 10am checkout and I’m glad we were able to accommodate your request and charge only a half day parking, rather than overnight charge. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed in a room with a study. This place is not a hotel, it is semi-serivced apartments. The couches belonged on the verge pickup. They were awful. The bathroom had no face washes. We requested some via note and received a scribbled reply that a hand towel would be an adequate substitute. Cleaners didnt really make up the room as much as neaten the bed and put dishes in the dishwasher for us. The front desk was only occasionally attended - when it was, only one of the three hole-in-the wall windows was open. Our experience was not that of a hotel. It was more of an apartment building with towel-chaning service. We chose M on Mary for the excellent location. The location was excellent.

Room Tip: Book a high room bring your own face manchester
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank TowelTowel

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to hear you found the location excellent and as we are central to all the essentials in Brisbane. M on Mary is a serviced apartment with hotel facilities such as 24 hour reception and daily housekeeping and please accept our apologies if you felt that the service you were provided during your stay was inconsistent. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to M on Mary again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Spent 4 nights there on a business trip, brought the family aswell. Originally booked the one bedroom, however upon seeing there were 4 of us (2 adults, 1 child and a baby) the customer service offered us upgrade to 1 brm and 1 study unit which is lovely.
The unit was clean and spacious. But on the living room we found a safety pin on the rug, which is immediately taken out and the staff apologized. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2012

These apartments are ok. Ones without balconies can be claustrophobic as some of the window configurations don't create a sense connection with the outside world. The apartments are reasonably fitted out, bed comfortable. Overall cleanliness ok, but more attention to bathrooms is needed. Good location. Staff attentiveness and interest to customer needs is variable.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This a is a large but very convenient apartment hotel. It's right in the centre of the city and only a few metres from the main government offices and a major shopping centre. The staff are few but helpful and responsive. The in-room kitchen and laundry make this a good proposition for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Back rooms are a bit noisy. Pay a little more and get one with a view.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The rooms were clean and it was easy to do some work after hours. The only thngs marring my stay were: the bedside clock time was wrong and could not be adjusted; there was no plug for the handbasin

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds