“A good, but basic, hotel.”
Review of Mantra Pandanas

Mantra Pandanas
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Melbourne, Australia
“A good, but basic, hotel.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in August 2013 for 3 nights on business. When I arrived at the hotel around lunch time there was a very long queue at the reception area. It took about 10 minutes to be served.
Once checked in I proceeded to the lifts. The first lift you come across is only for the residential part of the hotel. The next couple of lifts are for hotel guests. Whilst this is easy to work with at ground level, I found it confusing on my floor of the hotel. ie if you push the down arrow, then the lift reserved for residents may come. Once inside the lift the floor buttons are different on each side of the lift. At one stage I got into a lift but the floor I wanted to go to did not have a button so i go out. Later I realised that there were different buttons on each side of the lift.

The room was good, however the glass door to the wardrobe had been smashed and had not been replaced.

I had breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. I just had the continental breakfast and it was fine. Service upon arrival at the restaurant was slow.

Check-out was fairly efficient.

In short, the hotel was a good hotel and I may choose to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Curfew156,
Many thanks for choosing to stay at Mantra Pandanas and for your positive remarks overall. I agree with your comments about the lift signage and I am pleased to advise that the body corporate has organised to amend the signage for each lift to provide a more user friendly service. I have shared your comments with our team for urgent attention and we do apologise for any inconvenience caused by some of the issues you experienced. If you do choose to stay with us again it would be a privilege to welcome you back
Dave Pearson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2013

This is a good hotel, perfect for a short stay in Darwin. Central, clean and tidy etc. However some housekeeping oversights - e.g. if you use the laundry service on day one, could they maybe add a replacement laundry bag for day 2? Ditto the in-room dining card - having ordered breakfast in room the first day, a replacement card was not put in for day 2. Basic stuff, not a deal breaker of course - but it's annoying. Oh, and having waited ages for a lift only to find key card has stopped working and you have to return to reception to get it re-coded (happened to a colleague too)
Showers are great, irons are really good.

Dear Jay E,
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay with us and for your positve comments about the cleanliness, location and really good showers. Thanks also for the feedback regarding the housekeeping replacement items which we have shared with our team for urgent attention. We hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to Darwin.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I spent three nights at this hotel on a business trip from the UK. It was my first experience of Darwin and I received a very warm welcome from the reception staff.

The rooms were surprisingly spacious (two large double beds, plus sofa, table etc). The fixtures and fittings were of medium quality compared to, say, a Hilton but function. The TV had about 10 channels (a lot less than the hotel I stayed in Brisbane) but I wasn't in the room very much.

The gym was small and a bit disappointing (no free weights, no water, no Concept rower or similar). The pool looked okay although I didn't go in. The attached restaurant was a mixture of a coffee shop, hotel breakfast room and an evening restaurant although it seemed to close at 9pm. It was getting a light refurb when I was there.

The wifi signal in the bedroom was very good although I still don't understand the predominantly Australian practice of charging $20+ per day to use it (there is a free service in the coffee house).

The location is good and the central bars and restaurants are a five minute walk away.

In summary, a good hotel with big rooms and very friendly and helpful staff. I would happily stay there again (but stop charging for credit cards and include breakfast in the rate - it feels opportunist and is annoying).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floors and also ask for a discount for car parking.
1 Thank Simon G
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Simon G,
Many thanks for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to review your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed our spacious rooms and friendly helpful staff and we agree that our location is ideal. I am also pleased to advise that the restaurant refurbishment is now complete and that a new water fountain has been oredered for the gym.
Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hobart
Reviewed September 18, 2013

If you have to stay here for work any longer than 7 days and expect a decent size refrigerator and cooking facilities you will be dissatisfied. Shower recess leaky and thin walls. Can hear TV next door b
The room has a strong mouldy odour which I asked about. Came back to a room heavily sprayed with some dreadful smelling spray. Bins not empty and REALLY REALLY noisy air conditioners. Have to turn bedroom one off.
Front desk staff brilliant.

• Stayed September 2013
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Louise C,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel and for choosing to stay with us. It was great that you thought our staff were brilliant but disappointing to read that you had experienced some maintenance and housekeeping issues and we do apologise for any inconvenience. We have addressed these issues in the room you stayed in and we do hope that you will come back to enjoy a better experience next time.
Reviewed September 14, 2013

very pleasant and relaxing stay at this hotel. we stayed here with friends for there wedding and the hotel staff were very accommodating for all of us at this hectic and busy time. will stay thete again when in darwin next. very nice, modern and clean rooms.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear megsbenno,
Thank you for your review and it was pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Darwin.
Kind regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I stayed in the one bedroom apartment which was very comfortable. The balcony and ocean view made the room even more enjoyable - The room is fitted out with all your individual needs - The hotel amenities also cater for most business and personal needs. Overall an enjoyable experience.

Dear GrantNixon,
Thanks for choosing to stay with us and for such a great review! We do hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to the Top End.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Staff on reception superb. Apartment style with all amenities . Sliding doors on cupboards wouldn't! Restaurant not open weekends. Room service OK. Food average. Would be fine for. business meetings and stays, but expensive for what it gives in the way of hospitality.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dave Pearson I, General Manager at Mantra Pandanas, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Jpog123,
Many thanks for your review and for choosing to stay with us. It's great to hear that you thought our reception team were superb and that you would recommend us for business meetings and stays. We do have a special weekend deal which is great value for money and there are plenty of restaurants and bars available close by. We hope to see you again on your next trip to Darwin.