“Comfortable but cons”

Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable but cons”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have stayed in the studio rooms and ordinary rooms at Mantra Pandanas several times over the last 18 months on business. The studio is comfortable and it's handy having a washing machine, dryer, fridge and kitchenette as well as balcony. The hotel is clean and centrally located.

I don't like the ordinary rooms as the windows are locked shut, and Reception won't give you the keys (apparently it's an OHS issue, although short of you throwing yourself out the 14th floor windows it's hard to see why).

Other cons include the following. Firstly, internet access is ridiculously expensive (why can't Australian hotels provide free wifi, even in the lobby!) Secondly, sometimes there isn't hot water. I have complained about this and apparently it is because each room shares a hot water tank with a neighbouring room, so if your neighbour has a long hot shower you have no hot water. This can be problematic in the Darwin dry season when it gets cool and also in rooms where the window doesn't open so you have to aircondition (and thus it gets cold). Further, some of the rooms have a damp smell but I've not had a problem with changing rooms on request due to this problem. Finally, the food at the restaurant is terrible. Recently I ordered a Thai Beef Salad, it was essentially stir fried beef that they'd then mixed lettuce and tomato into. It was awful.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear xhlgette,
Thank you for choosing Mantra Pandanas in the past when travelling to Darwin. I am glad to see the Studio Rooms suit your needs. In regards to the lack of hot water at times, it is something we are aware of and are working towards a solution to alleviate the demand over peak times. I am disappointed to hear your experience in the Restaurant was not up to standard and will address this with my Executive Chef and ensure the standard is maintained at all times as we have had great reports in the past, so obviously we are lacking consistency, which we will rectify.
From all the Staff at mantra Pandanas we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Darwin on Business.
David Brill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Horrors! Horrors! Horrors!
When I checked in at 6 am, duty manager could not find my reservation..even when I showed him printout with reservation number - much later, the explanation was that as it was a weekend, the data had not been updated from their Administration.
While waiting for them to sort out the reservation, I checked out the breakfast buffet - very skimpy breakfast choices for A$20+!
Hotel does not provide free wifi - I was given a card allowing me 10 minutes on the computer terminal in the hotel coffee shop - these are 2 antiquated computers with major lag time - just to open up my Hotmail account took 6 minutes! - that is even before I even read a single email.
As I went up the lift to my room, there was a notice that the hotel swimming pool was out of order - I wonder if it was genuinely out of order, or just closed to save on maintaining the pool!
When I checked into my room, I was dismayed to find dried urine on the toilet seat!!! Called Reception and was told Housekeeping staff was not in yet! The bathroom floor was freezing cold, and no room slippers were available.
I called Room Service for lunch - and the meal was delivered by the receptionist.
Saving grace - the day reception staff,especially Tiffany - they were all efficient and presentable.
Before I checked into this hotel, I had taken a cab directly from the airport to Crown Plaza Darwin - as I thought I had been booked in there - then checked my email and found I had been booked into Mantra Pandanas - the contrats between Mantra Pandanas and Crown Plaza was like night and day! And the hotel rates are the same - in fact, when I walked into Crown Plaza at 5.30 in the morning, and they of course could not find my reservation (as I was booked into Mantra), they offered me a very attractive rate for 2 nights stay. And when I cancelled before they could credit the cost to my credit card, they were still very helpful - calling me a cab to go to Mantra.
At Crown Plaza, fee wifi is available for 20 minutes per device - that means 20 minutes on an ipad/computer plus another 20 minutes on your mobile. At Mantra, no wifi, only antiquated computer terminals in coffee house.
At Mantra, manned by minimum staff at night - 2 at reception and one in the coffee house.
The wall behind the reception at Mantra was dirty and patchy, floor tiles in reception were chipped and dirty with visible rubbish here and there.

Room Tip: Just avoid this hotel...check into Crown Plaza...unless you are on a nostalgia trip!
2 Thank Persimmone
Dear Persimmone,
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at Mantra Pandanas. It disappoints me to see on this occasion we have not been able to meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on our standard of service and take all feedback very seriously. I have raised all of your points in our last weekly management meeting and procedures have been put into place to rectify any shortcomings. Incidentally, the pool had developed a leak and needed immediate rectification which included emptying the pool and resealing. Thank you for your kind words in regards to the service you experienced from Tiffany and I have personally passed on your comments to her and rewarded accordingly.
Thank you once again for your constructive feedback and look forward to hopefully accommodating you in the future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed 5 nights in April. Room was clean but air-conditioning was iffy. Complained to the front desk and was told that any setting below 20 degrees was not going to work. Upped the setting to 21 degrees - room cooled down but not cold - adequate to sleep but not cool enough to be comfortable - I happen to like cold rooms! If you face the same problem, request to change your room ASAP. Otherwise, room was clean and well-appointed. Mini-bar was decent and bathroom was great.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C works.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Dear Berliozh,
Thank you for staying with us in April this year and for your feedback. In regards to the air-conditioning; it is always a struggle maintaining the units in the tropical climate which we experience in Darwin. Our units are serviced on a quarterly basis to ensure they are working to their optimum and obviously creating a pleasurable temperature for all individual Guests. Our rooms also have ceiling fans and dehumidifiers to add to the Guest comfort.
If you are returning to Darwin in the future we would be more than happy to look after you.
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 30, 2012

First hotel in Australia where I cold use the minibar without getting robbed.
Room was a bit smelly of mold, but once I started the ceiling fans and set the AC at vent, it was OK.
The included breakfast was not the best, but I am fine with some toast and coffee, if you want a full breakfast dont get a roon with breakfast included.

Really good sea view fom my room.

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony since you cant open the windows in the rooms without balcony.
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed May 26, 2012

We stayed here in January 2012 for 5 nights on business. It's in a great spot, right in the middle of the CBD and an easy walk to The Esplanade and Mitchell St. Our room had a kitchenette (which we didn't use) and a washing machine which was really useful. We ate in the restaurant each morning, as it was included in our booking but would not rate the breakfast buffet, it was very ordinary and the staff seemed a bit grumpy! Housekeeping was good, the pool was pleasant and there was a reasonable sized gym. Overall, a good choice for a business stay and would stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Return visit, this time had a room with full kitchenette, dining table and seating (not that I needed either), a huge bathroom with bath, lovely rain shower and laundry and a bedroom in the middle with a second tv. All plus a good view of the water. The bed is in this set up is smaller than a normal room I've stayed at previously, but not a complaint. Once again though on the last night out of threeI was there the fire alarm went off at 1 am, false alarm (happened in January this year as well- something is cleatrly wrong in circuits. Weird!) But pretty good all round

Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I shared a room with a friend and despite having an apartment booked we were given a hotel room. We had to be rather assertive, wait an hour and a half, and threaten to move hotels before they miraculously found an apartment that they initially said they didn’t have!
The service at reception was the slowest I have experienced and many of the reception staff looked like they were having ‘on the job training’. We paid $265 per night for the room which included breakfast. Breakfast was a very disappointing experience – many areas were uncleared, cutlery and crockery frequently ran out and had to be requested, no milk, no hot water……
There were many people from our conference staying at this hotel and many had gripes about the hotel. Given the comments already on trip advisor about the problems with this hotel, management need to put some effort into providing better service and training their staff. Not good enough for the price.
I come to Darwin frequently and I won’t be staying here again.

4 Thank 2011Marg