“Wish we had stayed somewhere else”
Review of Banyan View Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darwin
Banyan View Lodge
Ranked #40 of 51 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
Reviewed June 13, 2009

Miserable staff, dirty, souless accommodation. We could not wait to leave. Our advice, check out the alternatives!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 19, 2009

I had a very bad time at this lodge especially with the staff.

They were grumpy most of the time and even lost their temper at me when i stayed behind for awhile, in the lodge after checking out.

I am dissapointed by their bad temper and unfriendly service.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank rorecrose
Reviewed May 19, 2009

Was in darwin competing in the arafura games 2009. stayed here for 12 days. Never once was the room cleaned nor the rubbish bins cleared. The toilets were pretty run-down too. No locks on some cubicle doors. One cubicle din even haf a door. The beds in my room were pretty banged up too. I dreaded to shift my weight at night in fear that the bed would collapse.

Poor amenities can be tolerated, but the service attitude was pretty awful. The staff constantly reprimanded my team for “not putting away the utensils” after use, though we never failed to clean, dry and put them away. Being asians, I felt the staff was being a tad racists as they do not warn other western guests at the hostel.

The poor attitude was highlighted once more on our last day. Our flight was in the evening and our team of 30 people checked out by 10am that morning, putting all our luggage in a single room we had booked. About 15 of us were tired and did not want to walk around, so we hung around in the lounge watching tv. The staff angrily shouted at us to leave as we “were not paying guests” and that she was “tired of cleaning up after us”.

What kind of service attitude is that??!! After 12 days of THIRTY paying guests, we were suddenly no longer paying guests??? It wasn’t as if we were messing up the place or depriving other guests. Most of the other guests weren’t around in the day. This incident left a bitter taste in our team and when our team bus arrived there was hardly a smiling face nor farewell from us as we left.

• Stayed: May 2009
2  Thank enticx
Reviewed April 24, 2009

I stayed here for 3 days and thought that the place although slightly in need of a bit of tlc was very relaxing and CLEAN. Michell on reception was very helpful and friendly, going out of her way to inform us about darwin and tours as were the rest of the staff.

The hostel is in a good location close to but not in the midst of the hustle and bustle of the city. You can hire bikes and tvs and they even arrange your ticket for the airport shuttle (at an extra cost of $11).

I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank tonibb
Reviewed March 19, 2009

We were booked in to this place for 5 nights, the afternoon we arrived we had decided to cancel our following 4 nights with them. This place felt and looked like a jail. There were woman with small children running around the place and clearly a lot of long term residents, it honestly felt like a half way house not a backpackers as advertised. The room we were in was tiny with no room to put our bags, the cupboard with space to put things was all taken up by another girl in our room, one of the beds had clearly been vacated for god knows how long yet the dirty sheets and towel were still on the bed for the whole time we were there. There is free internet......one computer with which you have to constantly clear error messages that come up and most webpages we tried didn't work. The reception is hardly ever open and even when it is you have to press an intercom and speak to someone through it until they decide what you need is important enough to come down and speak to you face to face. Trust me there are much better places in Mitchell st to stay.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank ap0462
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Hey everybody,

I decided to book a single room here because the rates were good and it had free internet, but I have regretted that decision ever since. I'm not real fussy about my accommodations, but this place has motivated me to write this review.

The place is filthy, a lot of stuff is broken or badly worn, including a bathroom door, which just leans against the wall in the bathroom. My room wasn't even cleaned before I checked in, there was stuff under the bed, the counter tops and shelves were dusty. The place is crawling with little ants and cockroaches. And the so called internet is really slow, the connection is unreliable because of a bad cable, and there is almost always someone hanging around who needs it.

There are some real strange people staying here, including a guy who is always on the internet, sometimes rubbing himself, and being rude to the other guests. I spent last night just hanging out in my room because this guy has taken over the place, creepy. So ... if this sounds like a place you, good luck. I wish someone had warned me. The owners of this place should be ashamed of themselves.

Bradley

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank BradleyJ
Reviewed December 29, 2008

What a terrible welcome for our first day in Australia. Unfortunately our flight from Singapore to Darwin was early and we arrived at 6h30 am.
A lady with a very bad-mood opened the reception at 7h30 and when she saw us, it got worse ! She asked if we were checking out !!!! (the general impression was that she hardly knew the customers occupying her own place)
With a polite smile we replied, no, in fact we are checking-in and we have a reservation but... hardly had the time to finish the sentence.
She pointed an accusing finger to the notice pasted on the window, saying check-in was not before 13 or 14 pm, and that she could not throw out the people from their rooms, just because we happened to be there (friendly isn'it...)
All we wanted to know was if by any chance a room would be available a little earlier. If not, we were perfectly ready to leave our things until the right time.
Afterwards, she opened agressively an ugly and disgusting storage room telling us in a rude manner to leave (dump) our belongings to the floor.
When I saw the state of the room, and the way in which she spoke to us at that moment, I decided instantly not to leave our things behind.
As a result of this very unpleasant welcome, my girlfriend and myself took the decision to avoid staying at the Banyan.
Of course she claimed the money for the room, and the time was 7h45 am...As we are correct people, we paid her cash on the spot.
She still managed to accuse us by saying that we were rude because we were talking our mother tongue (french) in front of her. It was definitely time to leave the place with this terrible welcome.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank patmail