“Absolutely fantastic, stay here you won't regret.”
Review of Banyan View Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Darwin
Banyan View Lodge
Ranked #40 of 49 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
Brisbane, Australia
“Absolutely fantastic, stay here you won't regret.”
Reviewed December 26, 2013

I don't think you can beat this place for EVERTHING. Price, friendliness, facilities and very central to everything.
Sorry, but complaining about a pink exterior???? Enough said on that.
Rules and regulations are there for the comfort and security of everyone, keeps the riff raff in line.
We were more than impressed with everything about our stay. Will most definately be staying again.
DISCLAIMER..... trust me we didn't use the fitness centre but couldn' figure out how to remove the circles lol

Room Tip: We had 2x double rooms and a dormitary for our sons and their friends. We were all impressed with ou...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 0freespirit0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The first thing you see is the Pepto-Bismol pink exterior of the building & it doesn't get any less 'odd' once you go inside.

I'll start with the positives - Good location, A/C in our room, very cheap the 6-dorm girls room only $23 a night, fridge in our room, 2 free computers to use, pool out back & 2 tv rooms to hang out in. Very nice reception, security & housekeeping staff.

The negatives - To echo another review there were lots of very odd/random people walking about the hostel, getting in to arguments & also invading my personal space. As a female traveling on my own I didn't feel completely safe there. There was one guy who was a real pest & I had to complain to the staff about him. The bathrooms are pretty vile & there's bugs everywhere. It's deposit-tastic they'll want $25 for your room key & if you want kitchen utensils that's another $20 which sucks.

If you're with a bunch of friends on a tight budget go for it, but if in particular you are a single female it wouldn't be my first port of call. I was lucky & made friends with the girls in my room, we would make dinner together literally for safety in numbers. There is a women's only floor, maybe stay up there.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Reviewed November 16, 2013

There must be better options in Darwin. To start with, the building is a prison-like cinder block building, with a steel bar security gate. Then, you are bombarded with signs about all of the rules & regulations. I understand they are worried about security, but it still seems a little bit of overkill. And, in spite of security features, there seem to be an inordinate amount of strange people roaming the halls. Further, the room and hallways had a strange bitter smell, which I still have no idea what it was. The only good thing is the good location relative to town.

Pros: location

Cons: everything else

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Midlands
Reviewed November 8, 2013

My first experience of Banyan View Lodge was the bright pink exterior of the building. It was definitely not hard to spot!

The lodge provides a pleasant place to stay with a lovely garden and swimming pool. However, there are a lot of negative aspects to it. Firstly, we were told that we had to pay a $25 key deposit that we would receive back at the end of our stay. We also had to provide our credit card details for a $100 security bond (which is a bit extreme for a hostel). Secondly, laundry is $10 ($5 for the washer & $5 for the dryer) and if you need to use any crockery, cutlery or pots, expect to pay a $20 deposit which you will receive back after you have used them. There are also notes placed around the lodge stating that you will be fined $50 for doing this, that or the other wrong. For example, if you don't wash us your pots and pans or if you attempt to use their wi-fi (although they do have two computers with free internet access).

The hospitality is also less than desireable. On arrival, we were greeted by two young men that are working over here in Darwin from the Phillipines, who were very friendly and helpful. However, as the days went on, we noticed an older lady with blonde hair and a younger lady who were both very rude. One night, myself and my friend shared a key for our room. I was inside, when my friend knocked on the door for me to let her in. The younger lady proceeded to tell my friend that 'no visitors are allowed' in a very stern tone. On the fourth day of our stay, we had to go downstairs before 10am to check-in again for a separate booking we had for an extra two nights. Both ladies were behind reception and dealt with things very badly. I spent half an hour paying for the two extra nights, where the blonde lady decided to deal with 5 of us all checking in at the same time. She had no idea what she was doing and seemed to be very disorganised.

The service of the majority of staff at the lodge is disgraceful. On one occasion, the air-con in the room stopped working and the staff had no sense of urgency to come and fix it at all. I went back down 20 minutes later and there was nobody at reception. In my opinion, this is just laziness! After another 10 minutes, I went down again to find the lady sat at her computer who eventually came up to the room after I asked again. She took the front of the air-con box off and it was filthy!

The room's seem clean until you look closer where the windows look like they have not been dusted for years.

There are plenty of other hostels on Mitchell Street in Darwin (the main CBD) that offer a lot more even if they are slightly more expensive (for example.. free breakfast, free laundry etc). They probably have nicer staff too and are a lot closer to the centre!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Valby, Denmark
Reviewed October 25, 2013

I stayed at Banyan View Logde for one night in a single room on a womens floor only with view to the graden and pool.
The location is alright about 5 minutes from the main center of Darwin. So it's away from all the noice.
The staff was friendly and helpful.
The room was okay with a fridge, tabel and chair.
I didn't use the kitchen, but it looked clean.
The toilets and bath were clean, but the showerhead was too low, so I couldn't stand up right.
The common room on the third floor was not very nice, cushions were missing from the sofas and there were big holes in them.
There was a bit of noice during the evening.
As a traveller wi-fi is very important for me. There is no wi-fi here.
Banyan View Logde is a very basic hostel and very rundown. It could use a major makeover.
It was my first and only visit here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here for a few nights while I was traveling in Darwin. Firstly the rooms were so affordable for a 3 share. I was lucky enough to have only one another person in the room. The bathroom/showers were always clean as well as the lodge. I had a few issues as I got into Darwin quite late and there was no one to check me in at the lodge. The assistant manager Lyn was very apologetic and without argument refunded me the first night. Great customer service from all the staff and Shane too who makes the coffee in the morning who also was a great tour advisor to the lodgers. Thank you BVL for the great accommodation.

• Stayed October 2013
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Had a really nice stay here. Clean, comfotable, cool and free wi-fi (always a bonus) . The staff made feel us welkome and had a laugh with them. We liked the pool area the best, awsome place to cool down after hot trip to Kakudu. Kitchen situation was abit annoying at first but we could live with it. We will recomend this place to our friends back home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends