“Felt like. Rock star !”
Review of Char

Char
Ranked #18 of 402 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We booked ahead and a good job we did, it was buzzing, we dressed up as it was my birthday and I reckon because we both looked stunning ( for me just what I was wearing, not looks !!! ) the waitress placed us on the best table in the house right on the corner, we both a sea breeze and a cooling fan. Well had to have a steak in Darwin's premier steak house. First we splashed out on a bottle of Verve champagne to go with our entrees, scallops and pork belly for Karen and I had quail, both were faultless, so good I reckon I could have had a couple of more plates of them. So on to my steak, went for the 550 gram rib steak, med rare, the char was fantastic, crunchy snippets of BBQ. Cut into it and perfection, moist, and a real mans dish! Washed down with a Henescke Eden Valley Shiraz.  Took at bit to separated the bone from the meat, but I was left with a dilemma wanting to pick ,up the bone and gnaw on it or try cut as much as I could being in the place I was. To honest there was not not much waste (fat) the taste was unbelievable as I said a real mans dish. Wife had the salmon, now I think we may have miss read the menu we thought it was King Salmon, but got Atlantic, but it was so well cooked and rich, with soft sheet crab fritter was an excellent choice, there was some smoked carrots and everything was perfect.
     Dessert was rich chocolate torte I had Tulsca Liquor coffee. Both spot on and a great finish.
      staff were fantastic, thanks to Nectar she made us feel special. A must stop for anyone, place to dress up and shine, the dining should not let you down.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in a group of 6 having dinner. We all varied our entrees and mains from fish to the signature steaks. All of the group enjoyed the meals, not one adverse comment, a big call for the group. I had the rangers valley rib, rare, cooked to perfection, before that I had oysters as did two others, all thought oysters were good but to be expected as being brought from interstate, I think south Australia from memory.
The wine list was very good but expensive, but you are in Darwin.
This is my third visit to Char in 3 years ( 3 visits to Darwin) I will be back again.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Fantastic steaks, desserts to die for, and Nicolas the passionate French waiter who really knows his stuff made this truly memorable dining experience. Worth a plane fare from Sydney just to eat here again

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Not there there is much to choose from in Darwin by way of fine dining, but the Char Restaurant 'takes the cake' for 'charging like a wounded bull'! The small piece of 'feral' Barramundi was delicious and the side salads quite good. The wine list was quite extensive but again the prices were 'over the top'. The setting and the ambience in the restaurant was distinctly marred by the presence of huge industrial ducting, laid out on the floor, pumping vast quantities of cold air under the tables! I am sure most diners would have preferred the presence of ceiling fans to reinforce the 'tropical ambience', but perhaps the restaurant owner was a retired miner and felt more comfortable with an industrial application! On the positive side, the service was very good and the waiter informative and attentive!

1  Thank AngusMRobinson
Reviewed April 26, 2013

The best steak I have ever had, I am still drooling thinking of it four weeks later. It is pricey but as a special treat it is worth it.Try a cocktail too. I do hope they have the air con fixed now.

Been to Char? Share your experiences!