“Absolutely terrible”
Review of Char

Char
Ranked #17 of 397 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Went here for an anniversary dinner.
It took half an hour for the waitress to come and acknowledge us at our table and she then proceeded to tell us four things not available on the menu. We reconsidered what we were going to order and after another twenty minutes our meal order and drink order was taken.
It took an hour to get our first drink!!
Two and a half hours later we had finished entree and main- didn't bother to go near dessert because we would have been there for another hour.
Portion sizes are very small.
Overall the food lacked flavour and I could do a better job cooking at home. My partner ordered the crispy skin pork belly - the 'crispy skin' was nowhere to be found.
I do not mind paying money for great food, however Char's quality of food is evidently lacking and the service leaves a lot to be desired.
Many other restaurants in Darwin that trump this place.
Will actually never dine there again.
Improve your staff and improve your food - otherwise don't sell yourself as a fine dining experience. Char is on a par to the likes of hogs breath or outback jacks - with worse service and triple the price. What a joke!!!!

1  Thank Embrown85

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Char is one of the more upmarket restaurants in Darwin, located on the Esplanade more to the Eastern end. I have eaten here a few times, sometimes a full steak which are always good, but more recently sharing plates of entrees with friends over a decent glass or two of wine. They have an excellent selection of wines and spirits and even some very good champagnes are available by the glass for special occasions. The decor and outlook are above average for Darwin and the staff helpful and knowledgable. Not the cheapest place to eat and drink in Darwin, but certainly one of the best

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Dined here with my partner in January. Overall we paid $180 for 2 steaks, 4 drinks and a dessert. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but it really is fantastic food. Steaks were perfect. Banoffee pie was delicious.

1  Thank ms88Sydney
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Bit of a money grab when you have to order your vegetables/salad as a side, but it's well worth it at Char. I ordered the TBone (medium rare) and it was cooked to perfection. The small accompinament of baked figs, prosciutto and blue cheese was small, but really, the right size for the steak. I also ordered a side of green beans with a mustard cream and fetta - wowsers. My friend ordered the crispy skin pork belly and a side of skewered rosemary mushrooms. I found the sides to be an exploration of flavour and a dish unto themselves, however, they melded perfectly with my steak. Overall, the food was fresh, perfectly cooked, uncomplicated by intricate flavours, and well priced. The wine was a little expensive (we went with a sauv-blanc bottle); it would have been cheaper to buy four individual glasses of wine rather than the bottle for some wines.

The staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcomed. Our wine was kept well chilled and our glasses were never empty. The head waitress was well organised and showed a good knowledge of the menu. There was a small kerfuffle with a confusion of orders, but she displayed excellent professionalism and had the problem sorted in a second. The service was the best I have had in Darwin.

The ambience of the restaurant is lovely. Indoors is clean and fresh, but you can have the option of getting a more 'Darwin' experience sitting on the deck outside under some marvelous old trees decorated with lanterns that have a Mindil Beach Market quality. The only problem with sitting outside is that you're right on the street - that means car noise and fumes, people....drunk people sometimes etc.

Char is a great place to have a superb steak with service and surroundings to match. I'd recommend it for a special dinner with your truer-than-true or a girlie get together for a few glasses of wine.

1  Thank pngtasol
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I had wanted to visit Char last time I worked in Darwin but couldn't get a booking so was lucky this time I was there in the wet as it wasn't quite so busy as tourist season. We were welcomed and shown to a lovely table with views to the outside where lanterns hang in the trees. Would have sat outside but of course storms were forecast! Our waiter was lovely and told us the specials of the evening in his beautiful accent. The restaurant has a very nice menu with daily specials and also a comprehensive wine list. I chose the special entree (Scallops) and was very happy with the dish, flavours were lovely, scallops beautifully cooked and presentation was classic - on the shell. I really like the fact that there are pictures of their steak 'grades' - so you can know exactly what to expect when you order rare, medium rare or medium. I chose the beef cheek and it was everything I expected. My colleague chose a steak and it also looked beautifully cooked and nicely presented with a range of accompaniments to choose from. The dessert menu was tempting but I couldn't fit anything in sadly. Will always try to get in here whenever I'm in Darwin.