“Good customer service”

Ranked #39 of 397 Restaurants in Darwin
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nirvana not only offered good food and live music, they offered good customer service too. In spite of the humidity that came with the build up season, they gave us good customer service. We dined on a Friday night and the restaurant was packed. We thought we would get an average service since we did not have any booking but we were surprised to receive good service from their wait staff.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

We had dinner for two on Saturday night, sitting in the back in a booth. The place was quite busy, which makes it loud and hard to actually converse. I like the ambiance overall, very quirky, but in the booths everytime the person next door leans back, you get a push. More solid dividers are needed. We ordered:
Malay Pork Rolls - Fine as an entrée, but rather odd sweet chilli dipping sauce and not enough of it.
Chicken Satay Skewers - A great entrée, with high quality chicken thigh, but again not nearly enough of the delicious satay sauce, which come separately in a tiny little dish.
Chicken Vindaloo - As a main, the weak point of the night. We asked for it a bit hotter, which made it quite hot, which was fine. However, it was only hot, with no real flavour behind it. The chicken tasted exactly like the potato and carrots in it.
Beef Mussalman - As a main, the stand-out for the evening. Delicious.

Overall, it's a great place to go for drinks and have something to eat with it. The expansive drinks menu is fabulous, and reasonably priced for Darwin. If your main emphasis is dining, and not drinking, I'd likely steer elsewhere, like Hanumans.

We live very close, so we'll be back, but with lower expectations.

Not really VERY GOOD, but better than AVERAGE. TripAdvisior doesn't have a GOOD rating!

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We booked ahead on a Friday night and found ourselves seated in a tight corner in a back room with a fairly rowdy birthday group. The lighting was poor in the corner so it was difficult to read the menu. We like to see others enjoying a night out, but the large group made so much noise we couldn't hear each other across the table! Not the fault of the restaurant though, and they were fully booked so we didn't ask to be moved.

Now to the food... delicious! We shared the Gado Gado and Spring Rolls for entree, and the rather generous serving of Pad Thai for main. Glad we didn't order more as this was enough for two of us!

Wait staff were very good, we had no problems with ordering or table service. An extraordinary drinks menu with some very unusual options! Good for a fun night out... perhaps the birthday table were taking advantage? Some great Tassie wines available too which was a bonus.

Would have liked to enjoy the live music in the front room but the front and rear sections of the restaurant are separate.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

We booked a table for 8 last Saturday night.

I asked for a table to the side somewhere because of my rowdy toddler (not wanting to annoy other diners) so when we arrived I was mortified that even though the restaurant was practically empty they put us on a table right in a back corner, on a table that was cobbled together with two different table height and three different types of chairs where there wasnt even any room to put the high chair, my daughter would have had to have sat on her own in the aisle.

On the way to our table, through the front room I noticed that there was a large enough table set up next to the aquarium so I asked if we could be moved there- it was perfect.. the kids could look at the fish.. but it was not to be, the completely dim and unresponsive waitress insisted over and over that she could not sit us there or anywhere else in the restaurant for that matter because every single table was booked.. I must add that we booked for 6:30pm so we would have been out of there by about 8:30.. anyways it was a pretty dumb move lying about all of their bookings.. because as it happens we stayed, and saw that through out the evening the restaurant stayed mostly empty with the odd table here and there.. and the table next to the aquarium got split up just as we were leaving and they were getting it ready for a couple wo were obviously a walk in..

anyway, after I spoke to the manager they managed to find us another equally crappy table, but it was too much effort to try to find somewhere else to go so we stayed.

When the food started to arrive we understood why the locals like it so much - despite the bad service and sad and tired decor.. the food was soo tasty, we could not fault any of the 15 or so dishes we ordered. Each and everyone was cooked to perfection and was zingy and spicy and
and so flavorsome. We loved the food, even the kids ate most of their meals!

Two more points, the belly dancer was a hoot.. she was great, friendly and really livened up the atmosphere, like wise, because I spent most of the evening following my toddler around the place I also got to hear the amazing singer in the front room (with the aquarium) and each time I walked in there I got more irate that we and all the other patrons shoved down the back were missing out on her performance.. when she was singing to an empty room!! Makes no sense what so ever.. why pay someone to perform.. when no one can hear or see??

So to sum up if you can overlook the service and forgive the decor and just want a tasty meal, this place is for you. If you are looking for a trifecta.. - food, atmosphere and service.. then keep walking the management has rocks in their heads treating people the way they do.

1  Thank sebandloz
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I have been here a few times.. I prefer to have a relaxed night with few drinks and listen to some music then to eat here. Sometimes music is a little loud but great if you are there to enjoy te music.