“Too noisy, too slow”

Hanuman Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 405 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Description: Hanuman Darwin first opened its doors in 1992. Originally located at the Bennet Street end of Mitchell Street, the restaurant moved to its current location late 2007.We are delighted with the new setting. As part of the Holiday Inn Esplanade complex the restaurant incorporates a beautiful deck dining area and stylish cocktail bar.With seating for 90 people outside and a further 90 inside, be prepared to immerse yourself in a truly exotic experience. The furnishings, tableware and artworks have been sourced from around the world and the lighting will take your breath away.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

In short, the place is like a really big food court, noisy and crowded. You could hardly get through the tables as they packed them in so tightly.
I had trouble hearing the person opposite me on the table, and we had to shout the entire night just to hear each other. We were on a table of 6, and there was no way a conversation could include those sitting two seats away, they just couldn't hear over the crowd noise.

Food wasn't flash, it was tasty, but the serves were quite small and it took forever to come to the table. When I order six dishes I expect them to arrive at the table within a couple of minutes, not half an hour. It wasn't a banquet.
Wine was super expensive.
Service was really slow. They needed more staff, as they were run off their feet and that affected the entire service. At the prices we paid for the meal, and looking at the crowd, there certainly is enough income there to be paying sufficient staff.

It was a slow and noisy night, not one I would repeat. I won't be going back.

1  Thank AdsNeila
Manager_Hanuman_DRW, Manager at Hanuman Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

Dear AdsNeila,
Thank you for your honest and informative review.

Please accept our apologies that your recent dining experience with us has been less than satisfactory.

Your review helps us determine our shortcomings and your invaluable feedback allows us to continually monitor and improve our service standards in providing an environment of comfort and value to our guests.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We hope that we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back to Hanuman.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed January 28, 2014

Middle of town and very classy, tho costs of mains are pretty good- very tasty new-Asian food or old classics like rogan josh

Manager_Hanuman_DRW, Manager at Hanuman Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Dear David W,

We are delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your evening with us.

Thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hanuman!

Reviewed January 26, 2014

Awesome food and we had really fast service that night. I have been here a few times but haven't reviewed it. The quality of service often changes and can be poor at times but there's always one thing for certain and that is that you will never be disappointed with your meal. Really delicious we had the oysters, buttered chicken, slippery lobster and vindaloo. All were amazing and very well prepared. The wine is extremely over priced but that's darwin for you. It does seem slightly rude though that a normally priced $20 wine is $50 at the restaurant. I think that's sad. Anyway.food is great the setting is great. Good for 2 people or a group.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

It's been a little while since I wrote my last review but nothing had changed so I didn't really feel like I needed to update it. However, last night we had some of the best service I've had in Darwin, if not in a restaurant. Our server was Gavin and he was fantastic! Attentive throughout the night, he made sure our drinks were topped up, our food was good and that we were enjoying ourselves. I had a glass of wine forgotten and it was out in less than a minute when I let Gavin know. He also made sure we were ordering the right amount of things (not too much rice, etc). It was outstanding and I will be asking to be seated in his area in the future.
The food is still amazing. Never a bad thing to say for food with Hanuman. Fridays and Saturdays are usually their busiest time and it can get quite nosy as the night goes on (people head here before going to town for drinks/after shows next door at the entertainment centre/etc) so it did get a little loud towards the end of the night. Otherwise - superb!

Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is exceptional for Darwin with its excellence not only with delectable cuisine but sensational customer service. The ambiance that Hunamans exudes with the perfect amount of lighting and tasteful low humming music in the background will make you feel relaxed and comfortable.

We had the delightful pleasure of being seated in Gavin's section his attention to detail was amazing and topped off an already fantastic night.

Our table sampled most of the entrée menu as along with the Hunuman prawns and everything was gorgeous, although this restaurant is on the expensive side it is well worth it.