“Good Food. Great decor. Good Service.”
Review of Hanuman Restaurant

Hanuman Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 383 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Description: Hanuman Darwin first opened its doors in 1992. Originally located at the Bennet Street end of Mitchell Street, the restaurant moved to its current location late 2007.We are delighted with the new setting. As part of the Holiday Inn Esplanade complex the restaurant incorporates a beautiful deck dining area and stylish cocktail bar.With seating for 90 people outside and a further 90 inside, be prepared to immerse yourself in a truly exotic experience. The furnishings, tableware and artworks have been sourced from around the world and the lighting will take your breath away.
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This place looks classy, has great food and is a good pick for a night out to impress. One of Darwin's top restaurants, The prices are a little high, but not out of step with good restaurants anywhere. Some dishes may be a modern take on traditional but that's fine. Being reasonable open, it was an interesting place to be to listen to the monsoonal rain outside while we sat inside in comfort, eating well with a drink in hand.
Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Hanuman Restaurant

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Back on the 15th of February this year, I left a less than flattering review on TripAdviser about the Valentines menu we experienced at Hunuman. I posted the honest review, as I normally do, and thought nothing more off it until I received a phone call from the manager, Bernadette the next day or so later. To say I was surprised by her phone call would have been an understatement, especially when I find out that she looked high and low for my contact details to personally apologise for our bad experience at her restaurant. Straight away this made me consider that my bad experience was a once off and not an average experience there.

She invited me and my husband back as she wanted to ensure us that our previous experience was out of the ordinary. I think I was so shocked by her phone call in the first place that I agreed to return, not only in the hope that the food would be as good as we had previously heard, but because (and seriously think here) when was the last time someone made that much of an effort to seek you out after you had bad experienced at their establishment? I can honestly say she was the first.

When we entered the restaurant we were quickly greeted by a woman who turned out to indeed be the manager, Bernadette, which I had spoken to. Apparently she had been waiting for us and then proceeded to waited upon us personally for the whole evening.

Upon taking our seats, the restaurant owner even made a point of coming over to meet us and thank us again for returning so they could prove that our previous experience had been out of the ordinary. In truth, about 6 other staff came up and said the same thing to us, so it was clear that my review had been circulated around the restaurant. Of course that is a good thing because if your failings are not brought to your attention, then you can’t improve, but... well, after the 3rd or 4th waiter coming up and thanking us for returning, hubby and I were feeling rather... uncomfortable by all the attention. Still – at least they wanted to prove they were better than our last experience and I could see that.

Now as TripAdviser will only let you review a restaurant once a month, our experience was afew weeks ago and my memory might be a little fuzzy, but what I defiantly recall was the amount of food that we were offered. Gosh! I can eat, but we barely made an indent in what was offered! Thankfully they ‘doggie-bagged’ the leftovers for us, making my work lunches set for the following week.

The food was very good, consisting of the tasting plate for starters, panang curry, duck and the chefs famous fish curry (that god help me but I can’t remember the name of it! It was sooo good regardless, so ask for it!) and a very nice rice dish for mains. We were served delicious cocktails (or at least I was – hubby had light beers) with the barman coming over to make sure we were happy with them soon after. I would have loved to try the dessert menu, but honestly, I hardly made an indent in the food brought before us and I just couldn’t fit another thing in.

Not only has this restaurant earned my respect for their amazing follow up of our first experience, they clearly care about what they do and that can only see them succeeded into the future.

Will I recommend this restaurant to others? Yeah – definitely.

Will I go back? Well yeah, I have too – I need to try that dessert menu, after all. :D

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have nothing but good to say about this place. We received 5 star service from the moment we entered until the moment we left. Staff are friendly and the place has a great atmosphere. I also loved the crockery, very unique.

Reviewed March 29, 2013

We eat here often. The food is consistently good, especially the signature dish of lemongrass oysters, the trumpet mushrooms, the pakoras, and the range of curries. It is the service that is poor. They are either over-attentive, e.g 'would you like to order drinks?', when we already have, or you are left with empty plates between courses for over 30 minutes. We received our mains, but hd no plates to eat off. They need to be more organised on the floor. Hanumans has a great reputation and is still THE place to take business guests from interstate. They need to be more professional and run their front of house smoothly. Otherwise, love the food and will keep going back.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Ten years ago, this restaurant was my all time favourite restaurant and I've continued to refer to it as one of these ever since....until tonight. I moved away and this is the first opportunity I've had to visit again. I dined here tonight (27 Mar) and left disappointed. Service was wonderful, though drinks very expensive, entree was delicious (pakoras) and I thought I was on to a great evening of dining delights....unfortunately the main (jungle curry) tonight was WAY off in balance of flavours. It was really hard to work out but I think there was far too much ginger (and I love my ginger), too much palm sugar (or whatever sweetening they used) and far too much lemongrass! It was way too salty with a sickly sweet aftertaste and no where near as good as other jungle curries I've had. It was so bad that I couldn't finish it. If you've ever eaten salty plums, it was like a salty plum sauce! Not pleasant at all. But to end on a positive, the beef in the jungle curry was super tender and the naan was probably the best I've had. I am really not sure that I will go back when I visit again in May and won't give it the hype I have over the last ten years. Maybe I just got a dud curry on a bad night! I'll need to seriously about spending another $60 here for another solo meal on my next business trip but suspect I may just go down the road to somewhere else. I hope your visit bodes better than mine.