“Iconic Indo Pacific Marine”

Indo Pacific Marine
Ranked #49 of 120 things to do in Darwin
More attraction details
Owner description: Indo Pacific Marine began on 1971 as a privately funded project to develop and establish onshore marine ecosystems highlighting the unique features and biodiversity of the coral reefs that are in our Darwin waters.Indo Pacific Marine has become the longest established man made facility in the NT and has received industry recognition for its excellene over many years, in areas of conservation, eco tourism and education.
Arnhem Land
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Iconic Indo Pacific Marine”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

over many years I have taken numerous friend to Indo Pacific Marine. This Iconic display of sea life from Darwin Harbour is possible unrivaled in the world being expertly interpreted by John. This is a must for every one for all ages

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Arnhemland-Safaris

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Horror at Indo Pacific Marine”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I would not recommend this attraction to anyone. . I visited it in late August 2012 during the day and was greeted by a friendly person to take my money but after that my experience turned bad. At reception, I was advised to “watch” a video which was already in progress on the nature of the reef. As I had already seen such videos, I went into the next area / room which contained an open aquarium. I was interested and started looking around & taking photos…. That is where the issues began. An old guy (who looked like he was retired from work) and was dressed in long socks, shorts and a short sleeve top (turned out to be the owner) told me bluntly that I needed to return to the video room to “watch” the video on the reef.
I obliged, although I really thought like telling him to stick it. Once the video was over, the old guy ushered us (4 tourist s) into the main area which houses the aquarium and then started interrogating us all on how the reef systems work. I must say this was a pathetic attraction. The old guy was creepy, he kept pestering us all, and in the end, while the old guy was away in a different room attending to an aquarium, we made a decision to escape! We all made a quick exit for the front door and left!

4 Thank pdupnorth
huru2u, Owner at Indo Pacific Marine, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thankyou for your positive comments of our reception staff. We are sorry your experience of the display was not a good one. The issue as you stated arose from taking photos - this is clearly advised by signage at entry and seems to have led to misunderstanding and bad feeling. Your personal comments about the tour guide are not reflected by any other reviewers - to the contrary. We will endeavour to ensure that all our visitors understand there is no photography allowed and apologise if this was not clearly conveyed to you.
The introductory video gives a brief introduction to coral reef systems; this is then followed by a guided tour around our main tank; and then you are free to wander through the remaining display of 30 living and static displays.
We try to provide a smooth flow to the tour to give maximum enjoyment and information to most visitors - and not have tours disprupted by others just wandering through.
We realise that this does not suit everyone, particularly those with language difficulties, and will accommodate if we are aware when our visitors arrive.
Barossa Valley
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Marine Education Centre”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

During a recent visit to Darwin we came across the amazing Indo Pacific Marine Centre - we spent hours marvelling at the displays. The owner's knowledge is incredible and the displays he's put together has to be one of the most interesting "live displays" I've ever seen anywhere in the world. Good value and an Education Centre not to be missed, for young and old!

2 Thank Shirley R
Thank you for taking the time to review Indo Pacific Marine. We are happy that you had an enjoyable visit. It is quite different to other "aquariums" and it is great that most people who visit recognise what our aim is; to open a window on another world that is really beautiful and needs to be protected. Unlessone has had the experience of diving - most people would be unaware on the complex beauty of our under water world.
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Marine Aquarium”
Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I found it interesting although incredibly dated. All the tanks are scratched which makes it hard to see anything. The fish look happy but there are not very many of them. I'd go back to the wildlife park for more fish, or a fish shop as it would be more enjoyable. If you like corals then this is the place.

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Indo Pacific Marine.
We are sorry you did not have a greatly positive experience. We acknowlede that there are some scratches on 2 of the very old aquariums - out of 25. Those 2 aquariums have not had their display disturbed for effectively 20 years - and would require being pulled down in order to replace the glass. We hope that most people can see past the minor scratches and see all the beauty and amazing marine life in those aquariums.
No we do not have a major abundance of fish - but over 40 years have found the right balance of fish to a marine environement - in order to have self sustained eco systems. We have endeavoured to find the right "natural" balance of fish for each aquarium - depending on size of aquarium - as an over abundance will disturb the balance and mean we have to filter the water like other aquariums. We do not do this - all our aquariums are self contained eco systems- apart from feeding the stonefish and sea wasps - and maintaining water quality to account for natural evaporation.
Perth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Coral Delights”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

It was great to find out the interactions of all the marine life in the Darwin Harbour.The host for the night and the excellent food was just supeeb.

1 Thank David P
Thank you for taking the time to review Indo Pacific Marine.

We are very happy that you enjoyed your Coral Reef by Night experience. I still go "Wow!" when I see how corals fluoresce at night with our special lights. And the anemonies too. Just amazing.
And glad you loved the meal too