“Hideously overpriced”

Luma Luma Holiday Apartments Hotel
Ranked #31 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed July 18, 2013

It isn't easy finding a reasonably priced hotel in Darwin in peak season near the action so I reluctantly put down $360 for two nights at LumaLuma. I was appalled when I read the other reviews, so it was with great trepidation that I checked in. Now,it wasn't utterly horrendous; the staff were nice and professional, the room was cleanish but more akin to a $20 room in South-east Asia. The asking price is just an utter insult when you spend some time in the room, it's just so very basic. The cooking facilities are like you would find on a picnic - a two burner stove but there is a small microwave oven to heat up that meal you didn't make as it wasn't worth the bother.
I honestly suggest you spend a bit more money and get one of the other hotels in the area. It's quite true about the lack of security- the lift is outside of the check-in area. It's very easy to access the rooms which are only equipped with a basic lock, no deadlock so I suggest not leaving any valuables in the room.
In short, you'll live through the experience but you will probably leave with a nasty taste in your mouth for having spent so much.
An appallingly overpriced crash pad.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank fractalheadache

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I booked through Wotif. com not much of a discount.No security on front door or lifts and reception only open from 7am to 11pm. Stayed in studio apartment - fridge, microwave, 2 hot plates, jug, toaster and iron. Reception staff okay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JA1964
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked a 2week stay through Wotif.com at Luma Luma apartments for the end of June (required a short term accommodation waiting for my house to be finished). Reviews and pictures looked promising. I was horrified when I checked in.

The apartment block as a whole is old and dilapidated and as for the room: as soon as I walked in I was hit by an overwhelming smell that I can only described as 2 week old festering BO (body odor), the bed wasn't made, the pillows looked used, the blanket was thrown on the bed and stained, the light in the bathroom didn't work, the light switch was broken and cracked and I cut my hand on it and the room was in a general state of uncleanliness (I was scared of touching anything for fear of contracting something- too bad about that light switch). I have stayed in many different places, from backpackers to luxury hotels, in 1st and 3rd world countries and for what this place was trying to sell itself as (and what it charged) it is the WORST place I have ever stayed (stayed for 30mins).
Needless to say I checked out within 1 hour of check in. Instead of being amenable the management said I was making everything up and only managed to negotiate getting HALF my money back thanks to the support from Wotif.
The reason they get good reviews on Wotif.com you ask? It's because the minute I made a complaint they blocked me from accessing their site so it's impossible for anyone to write an HONEST review.
Don't stay there. Please. I wish I had read the reviews before I booked and lost over a thousand dollars. At least I got out before I contracted something.

Room Tip: Don't stay in any room!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank SimonaPeyrer
Reviewed April 16, 2013

This place is OK in my experience. I have not had the same problems as other reviewers. Rooms are fairly basic motel style accommodation but are clean enough. There is pretty bad noise from the bulding site next door, with dirt in the pool as a result, but that's not the hotel's fault. If you want to come to Darwin and stay in resort style accommodation don't stay here, if you want a fairly basic but reasonable motel style room then its fine.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Security is appalling - anyone off the street can access the room doors, pool and carpark. CCTV DOES NOT suffice as 'security'; it is only a REACTIVE strategy, it does not PREVENT crimes taking place. As was the case during our stay which involved the police TWICE (attempted burglary and an unknown man passed out near our door on the top floor).
Room furnishings are not adequately maintained - the sofa bed was broken and the mattress had what looked to be blood stains on it.
Although some staff were polite and understanding when we told them our horrific experiences, others blatantly denied the events happening and called us liars.
Frankly, whoever runs this place should be deeply ashamed that they charge people money to stay in this hell-hole, and then have the audacity to blame the paying guests for complaining about the service.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
11  Thank wzr393
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a old building but rooms are good and well equipped. Loved the balcony and big LCD screen. Also had free parking. Parking is very limited so believe that during the season it's full or they ask good money for it. We also had see view.
Service was slow but polite.

Room Tip: Our room was on 6th floor but room no was 518
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elen E
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Do. not. stay. here.

See all other reviews for reasons why you shouldn't stay here. It's all true.

Had to involve the cops on two occasions, staff were extremely unprofessional apart from two employees we dealt with.

Worst hotel I've ever stayed at, including hostels around the world.

You would have to pay me a lot of money to stay a night at this hotel again.

Just don't do it. I'm not exaggerating, just go to the hostel instead.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not at this hotel are your best option.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends