“Set in tropical gardens”
Review of Palms City Resort

Palms City Resort
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Within short walking distance of CBD and about 10 mins walk to Wharf Precinct with bars and restaurants. We stayed in a ground floor motel unit, very secluded and private with small outdoor table and 2 chairs. Friendly staff although we would have appreciated being shown the way to our accommodation on arrival rather than being given a map with quick directions as we had just come off a lengthy flight. We appreciated luggage storage facilities while we did a short tour to Kakadu National Park but have one criticism. The storage area is in the lobby and not secure and we would have liked a numbered receipt for identification when we picked up our bags.
Good sized pool and set in lovely surroundings.

Room Tip: Either ground floor unit or a villa - they looked nice and had their own deck areas.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Palms City Resort

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had been looking at this place with its leafy grounds on my previous visits to Darwin, decided to treat myself to 2 nights here on way in from Melbourne.
The highlight was Romesh the helpful cheerful night receptionist. He greeted me with a smile, had all my paperwork ready, walked me to my room and helped with my bags - a big contrast to the unhelpful reception at one of the Hiltons where I treated myself last year after Garma festival. Arriving well past midnight can be disconcerting, Romesh made it easy
I had a standard room, not one of the cabins in the grounds. Room was ok.
Low point? Breakfast, and the morning receptionist who assumed he knew what I wanted. He could have asked. If you stay here, there are much better breakfast options within 5 minutes stroll - unless you like buffet style with mid range quality food. I particularly enjoyed breakfast at The Pearl in the Vic arcade

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room if you aren't going for a cabin, especially if you're arriving b...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2014

we only had one night at Palms City before returning to Sydney but would definitely return. Loved the bushy feel, the rooms felt secluded and private especially compared with the big hotel we'd been at to start with.The room we had was smallish but comfortable and well appointed with fridge and microwave. Barbecues on each verandah are a great idea.Louvre windows take advantage of any breeze. It's close to parks and the main streets of Darwin so very convenient

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2014

We stayed for 12 nights in a business villa at Palms City Resort in Darwin. This was ideal for my husband and myself, with the basic kitchen, electric barbecue and deck.It was close to the pool ,which we enjoyed very much. The location was great, close to everything and staff were friendly and helpful.Free internet was great which we could use inside the room and also out on the deck.We had a problem with our fridge which was attended to promptly.All in all, a wonderful place to stay and we would love to return!

Room Tip: A villa is a must! close to the pool and not too close to nearby hotels which can be noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a patio unit with an outdoor setting and found this great for relaxing, everything very clean and cosy and well serviced. The pool was great and exceptionally clean, surrounded by nice gardens. The Resort is very centrally located to everything, perfect position. Could not fault the staff, they were all very friendly and exceptionally helpful at all times. A great place to stay. Will go back again.

Room Tip: Units located nearer the front, we were lucky, as I believe the rear units have noise from the bars...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The Palm City Resort tropical villas are self-contained and private set amongst lush palms and gardens with good-sized pool. The villa is comfortable and sufficient for a couple but the small bathroom is definitely a one person size. The living area includes a kitchenette and a barbecue on the covered verandah - a lovely place to sit for a sundowner. I stayed two nights and had the breakfast in the dining room which was ordinary but sufficient. Next time I would make my own breakfast!
A big plus for the Palm City Resort is its location - right across the Esplanade from the park, and in walking distance to the best of the shopping and excellent restaurants such as Hanuman as well as the Crocosaurus Cove. I also liked the art works in the room.

Room Tip: A villa rather than the motel rooms. My villa was in the middle of the site so not exposed to noise...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed 2 nights and on the first Sunday night we had loud music coming from a pub behind our hotel room, many complaints later and being told it would stop at 10pm then 11pm the music stopped at midnight. Tired and grumpy the next morning we put in a formal complaint and the Hotel refunded our first nights stay. Other than that the room looked neat but long dark hairs in the shower and no hair dryer wasn't good. Staff were nice.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at the back near the main street where pubs back onto it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends