“The wifi doesn't work” 3 of 5 bubbles

Palms City Resort
Ranked #2 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
“The wifi doesn't work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Palms is fine in every regard except that the wifi doesn't work. The signal is fine but web pages won't load, I assume because the connection is too slow. Reception staff offered to open the restaurant so I could work in there (the connection is fine down there), which is kind but ultimately not a viable solution.

I need internet to work while I'm here, so if you do too I can't recommend palms.

PS palms, I'm in room 255 right now if you want to try and fix it.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
Sunshine Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed here for the last 2 nights of our Northern Territory trip. Having arrived the staff could not be more helpful. We asked if we could upgrade to a Villa, and there was one available with a spa. Pleased we did. It was so relaxing on the balcony overlooking the ocean. The rooms were lovely, clean and well presented.. If I was ever back there again it would definitely be my first choice of accommodation. Walking distance to the city and the harbour area. Worth considering upgrading to the villas, well worth it.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Villas if within our budget..
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Steph W
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

the hotel was clean neat and tidy but i thought it was way over priced for what you were getting for your money when comparing it to east coast hotels! perfect location in the heart of darwin, close to shops, night life and attractions. only problem we had was noise from the live band at the pub behind the hotel. nice swimming pool, nice gardens thru out the property.

• Stayed June 2013
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

"Palms Resort" the place to be -
Come and stay and you will see.
A swimming pool to keep you cool
Hot cooked breakfast that will make you drool!
Pleasant surroundings with palms galore -
I know that I'll be back for more.
Kindly staff with smiles all round,
For which the "Palms" is renown.
Reasonable rates to save you money
And Raj at the front desk is a honey !!

Room Tip: Basic room much larger than villa and close to pool area.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
palmsmanager, General Manager at Palms City Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Palms City Resort. I have shared your review with the Palms team and everyone has loved it – particularly Raja! I often do a rhyming jungle for our local radio advertising, so unless object, I will be using some of your lines next time round… as we all loved the sound! 
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I seriously thought I'd walked into an ugly, cheap and nasty student accomodation when I opened the door on my room.
I was booked in for one night and it was the most unpleasant night of my whole holiday. The decor was minimal and unbelievably depressing - nicer colours in a hospital. Horrible white fluoro lighting, ugly bedlinen and not even a headboard or a bedside table on both sides of the bed. It looked like a cupboard hastily turned into a room. The bed was so hard and cheap and then at around midnight what sounded like the air-con compressor for the whole building kicked in making it impossible to sleep.
All of this I could actually bring myself to stomach for one night had I not paid $280 for the dubious pleasure of getting to stay there. I don't mind spending money on staying in a decent hotel, but I do have an expectation that what I pay is reflected in the quality of where I'm staying. This however was not the case.
This is low-end accommodation at it's absolute worst

Room Tip: don't stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Nat L
palmsmanager, General Manager at Palms City Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Guest, your review is surprising to me. I have never heard of Palms City Resort being described as looking like “ugly, cheap and nasty student accommodation” in the 6 years I have been the manager. The room you booked was one of our Standard Motel Rooms – it is the most basic of the accommodation choices we offer (the resort also offers Superior Motel Rooms, Duplex Villas and Business Villas). The room you stayed in for the night was one of our interconnecting rooms thus only had a bedside table on one side of the bed due to the locked door on the other side. The bedspread you refer to as ugly has received lots of compliments in the past – with some guests actually requesting the supplier and purchasing their own for at home. We have over the past 12 months replaced all the mattresses throughout the property so that is why you may have found the mattress hard – it is new and commercial grade. I’m not sure what the noise is that you heard at midnight. I spoke with our Night Manager who you reported it to at 3am and she confirmed that she went directly up to your room but you did not answer the door and she could not hear anything. There were no other reports of the noise you heard from any other guests. The resort has individual split system air conditioners in each room – not a large compressor for the whole block. The rate you paid was a premium rate as it included a surcharge given it was the V8 Supercar race weekend (Darwin’s most busiest weekend) however I think you would find that for a Darwin CBD hotel room it would have still been one of the most reasonably priced rooms that night. I am sorry that the accommodation style you booked did not meet your expectations – possibly one of our Business Villas would have been more to your tastes.
Port Pirie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2013

Apart from waiting for half an hour before some one was able to book us in (we arrived at 3am to a closed reception - with a sign saying back in 10mins) we found the villa very private and easy to come and go as we pleased. The bbq on the balcony was fantastic and we used it most days. It was easy walking distance to hotels and restaurants on Mitchell St, as well as the Wharf precinct and convention centre. There was a comfortable atmosphere to the pool area. The rooms were kept clean each day, I would definitely stay here again in a business villa. Once the windows were closed any outside noise was blocked and privacy was ensured. Parking was also close and easy to access.

Room Tip: Business villa was an individual building with its own car park, good size room and kitchenette.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We have stayed at this resort 4 or 5 times now, having tried lots of other hotel accommodation in Darwin. This is a very relaxing place, close to shops, restaurants, hotels etc. We always book a duplex and ask to be near the pool, which we usually manage (228, 229, 230 are good rooms). There is a small area in front of and part of your room with an electric barbecue for your use, together with table and chairs. These rooms have a fridge, cutlery, crockery and sink. We love the Palms City Resort and would go back on the condition we got a duplex. The cleaning staff does need more training and we had to keep on to them each day.

Room Tip: A duplex room by the pool is the ultimate in accommodation at Palms City Resort. Wouldn't go fo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple