“Stopover”

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
melbourne
“Stopover”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My daughter and I had to spend an evening at the Darwin Rydges due to a plane arrival and departure over lap leaving us slightly stranded. Having to fly out the next day resulted in the need for some close and easy accommodation. So Rydges it was. A three hundred meter walk, no probs.
The staff were courteous and helpful, we were given a room and off we went.
The room was clean, but the shower and tap ware were shocking. The shower head swung in the breeze, not fixed inside the wall it was almost impossible to set as the tap ware, also shonky, was in under the shower head. Who the hell does the maintenance in this place??
We decided to go for a swim. The pool looked great but the whole area looks tired. Tiles missing, the decking some synthetic rubbish buckled and rusted. I'm just amazed that a hotel chain can 1. Choose materials that are not suited to the use. 2. Do not provide a level of competent maintenance on their property. Would I stay there again? Doudtful

Room Tip: The position to the airport is great, room choice would only be dictated by your needs as there is n...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
JustinBoydell, General Manager at Mercure Darwin Airport Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Your valuable feedback plays an important role in improving standards in the future.
I am sorry to read that our facilities did not meet your requirements. I have noted your maintenance issues and passed them on to be rectified.
If you are in Darwin again, feel free to contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 1, 2014

A very basic room, that looks and feels like a 1970's motel room, is priced like an exclusive 5-star metropolitan hotel. (It cost $280 for 5 hours in the most basic room while in transit)
Only 30 mins of wifi included in the outrageous room price - after that, again you have to pay.
Despite many flights arriving into Darwin close to midnight, there is no room service available if you arrive at this time (I think it ceased at 9.30pm)
If you want eggs on toast for breakfast, the only option is a $28 full buffet - there is no option of "a la carte" ordering.
The ONLY reason anyone would stay here is for quick access to the airport. There is a free shuttle to the resort, or it is a very quick walk.
If you are staying more than a few hours, it's better to go into Darwin itself for a cheaper better room, and get a taxi from and to the airport.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the function centre where wedding parties can make a lot of noise until...
2 Thank MiddleAgedHippies
Thank you for taking the time to write a review in relation to your recent stay. Our guest feedback is important in reviewing our service delivery.
I was most concerned to read that you didn't enjoy your stay and that our facilities did not meet your needs.
Please accept my sincere apologies and don't hesitate to contact me should you be visiting Darwin in the future as I would be happy to make amends. Thanks again for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a work trip before a flight out the next day. I was in a "superior queen" room. The decor and furniture were very dated and worn out, the bathroom pipes were very noisy, both from my room and the one above me. It was noisy in general, with people wheeling their luggage up and down the stairs at all hours. I wouldn't choose to stay here again, it may be convenient but for the same price you could get something much nicer in town. If you have more than 12 hours layover, head elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Our guest's feedback plays an important role in improving our facilities and service in the future.
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. Please accept my apology that your recent stay was impacted by other guest's noise and movements throughout the resort.
If you are in Darwin again, please feel free to contact me for the opportunity to make amends.
Lancashire
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed here for two nights on business.
A good place to stay as it is close to the airport. Free shuttle bus takes two minutes. The room was basic but clean. Tea and coffee making facilities are in the room, which is handy. Breakfast is buffet style with a decent amount of choices. An open air reception with views of the swimming pool greet you on arrival.
The staff are very friendly and helpful.
All the rooms have a small balcony and two chairs and a table. A/C in the room together with a ceiling fan.
Some noise can be heard from the airport occasionally, but it is not obtrusive.
Lancashireman.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are best if you have to carry luggage.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out to review your recent stay at Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Your feedback is an important tool in ensuring high standards of service.
It's great to hear that the room and facilities were adequate for your requirements and you enjoyed the received appropriate service from our staff.
Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for less than 24 hours due to having a flight the next day. I was accomidated through jetstar. This place was ok to refresh yourself, I did have the free shuttle bus to there but it is an easy 10-15min walk if tou arn't carrying anything too heavy. I was dissapointed the fact that I was accomidated in an upstairs room and I was carrying heavy lauggage and they had no lifts or easy access for those who have heavy lauggage on which I had to carry myself. Room was average. Resturant food was expensive although jetstar paid for it, I was still served cold pasta and not made fresh. Wouldn't recommend staying here if you are staying more than 48 hours.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Your time taken to review Rydges Darwin Airport Resort is greatly appreciated. Your feedback plays an important role in improving our facilities and services for the future.
I sincerely apologise for your room allocation and I have passed this onto the Front Office Manager. As we do not offer a porter service, our driver is happy to assist in bringing bags to rooms when required.
Thank you, again, for your feedback and if you are passing through Darwin again, feel free to contact me as I would appreciate the opportunity to make amends.
Perth
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Room was clean and well presented with a great self contained kitchen area.Great setting with a lovely pool. Laundry facilities were great. Only negative the standard double bed, was tiny so not my 1st bedding choice. All the weekend staff were very friendly and helpful. Good selection with food, walking distance to airport. Shuttle bus also avaliable which does do a trip into city, as taxi fare into city was $25 one way.

Room Tip: For a longer stay or a more spacious room, the kitchenette was great.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jackson66Perth
Thank you for your review of Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Our guest feedback is necessary to rectify any issues for the future.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to utilise a variety of our services and facilities.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed June 10, 2014

The Airport resort is a short 5 minute walk from the terminal, although they do offer a shuttle bus.
The rooms are clean, neat and suitable for either overnight (business room) or several days (cabins). Given their location to the airport they are very quiet for an overnight stay.

Darwin has a large number of late night and early morning departures so it makes wonderful sense to use this hotel for this purpose.

Unfortunately due to its popularity and the large number of events in Darwin during the dry season (May to November) the room price skyrockets to a level that puts it out of reach for some in particular locals.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
I appreciate you taking time out to review Rydges Darwin Airport Resort. Our guest's feedback plays an important role in continuing to provide quality service.
It's fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay and utilised our facilities. During our peak season, June-September, high demand drives our rates up, however outside of these months, there will be better deals to be found in the market.
Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon.