“Great crocodile experience”

Ranked #19 of 125 things to do in Darwin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed November 16, 2013

This is a great educational experience for those interested in these amazing reptiles. We began with an informative visit to the museum and then did the tour of the crocs and watched the feeding etc. the guide was entertaining and well informed.
The close proximity of Crocodylus Park suited us admirably, as we had only a short stay. What fun to see the small, well tended zoo that completes this tour. The tiger cage is most impressive with glass frontage for clear viewing. Such a shame that these small family run zoos are becoming victims of the over zealous "animal lovers". In my opinion these animals looked healthy and well cared for. Congratulations guys.

1  Thank margtierney

Reviewed November 5, 2013

I read the diverse opinions here on animal welfare with interest. If like me you live in a developing country then this place is model of cleanliness and well cared for animals. However it seems to be the opposite to some first world more sensitive types. I guess most people are somewhere in the middle and will enjoy the place as much we did.

The enormous crocs are the highlight and are just shockingly scary in person. Guide was great and my kid got to hold a little croc too. The zoo was a surprise bonus to us and it was very nice in our eyes and had quite a selection of animals.

The entrance fee did cause me to raise my eyebrows but it's not prohibitively expensive.

Overall a good few hours entertainment for the family.

2  Thank talk2mrjones
Reviewed October 31, 2013

In my hotel review I accidentally called it the Darwin Zoo, this place is out of the 60s in the way they approach - or do not attempt - environmental and animal welfare. I was shocked that the place had not been closed down by authorities. And the price! a complete rip off, waste of time, you will go away wanting to unlock all the cages and let the poor creatures out. Dirty, filthy, run down, in the middle of nowhere. Dont bother - you can learn more from a Nat Geo TV special than going here.

3  Thank GoHereEatHere
R C, Manager at Crocodylus Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Unhappy to learn that Crocodylus Park did not meet the expectations of Mini441. Our primary way of responding to public opinion (since 1994) is through a visitor’s comment book (open to the public), and through formal visitor interviews. In the last 3 weeks, which spans the time Mini441 presumably visited, primary comments from 158 visitors were recorded: “loved it” (20%), “great” (14%), “awesome” (10%), “fantastic” (8%) “amazing” (8%), great tours (8%), great day (8%), “very good” (4%), “exciting” (3%) or one of the following “wonderful, terrific, brilliant, excellent, hot, exciting, informative, fun, money well spent” (total = 15%). One comment (1%) expressed disappointment about not personally feeding the crocodiles - only some visitors get the opportunity to do this. Mini441’s disparaging generalisations, diametrically opposed to mainstream visitor experience, are thus difficult for us to understand. Still, if she would provide us with specific comments, about specific problems, we will do what we can to address them.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had a wonderful time. Staff were friendly and helpful and had a really nice croc burger for lunch. I loved the lions and the monkeys. Was amazing to feed a big croc as well (probably about 5 meters), I had a great tour thanks to our guide Brodie, the tour was informative but entertaining as well and at the end of the tour I got to hold a baby salt water crocodile. I learned a lot about crocodiles but might have been nice if the alligators were included in the tour. I will go back for sure, I want to do the "big cat feed"

1  Thank darwinntvisitor
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Came for a crocodile experience, left feeling morbidly depressed. A diverse array of beautiful animals -- tigers; lions; baboons; ostriches -- were housed in pitiful cages woefully inadequate for their size or needs. A bengal tiger paced relentlessly in his small cage, seeming to search for an escape. The single kangaroo (sitting listlessly in a dirt-floored enclosure) was about the most miserable animal I have seen. And, to top it all off, a gift shop full of crocodile skin products just to remind us of the fate of these poor creatures. Impossible to fathom a place like this existing in an 'enlightened' 21st century.

5  Thank Haydskies