“Will be going again”

Chow! A Taste of South East Asia
Ranked #5 of 367 Restaurants in Darwin
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A taste of South East Asia with a focus on fresh, local produce. Think big steaming bowls of pho & laska's, whole coconuts, bubble teas cocktails, Asian beers, sake bombs, fresh colorful dishes, healthy and tasty, lighthearted and most of all FUN!
Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
“Will be going again”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

Great staff, great food, cocktails went down really well and the bubble teas.......... Don't get me started :) love them

• Visited August 2013
Milestone G, Public Relations Manager at Chow! A Taste of South East Asia, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear Kylie J,

Thank you for your kind words, we are a bit addicted to the Bubble Tea as well... :)

Hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Darwin NT
“Good food but Menu is riding off the backs of Nirvana and the Deck Bar”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We dined here on 17/08/2013 and after a couple weeks of looking forward to going to "the new Vietnamese Restaurant in town" I was rather disappointed that its actually "a taste of South East Asia" instead, with alot of the mains on the menu being off the backs from the sister restaurants Nirvana and the Deck Bar (same owner) with Thai and Indian. So my excitement quickly diminished. Besides their own website says that they are a Vietnamese Restaurant.

First of all our booking was made for inside and when we arrived we were seated outside. We dont like to make a scene so we didnt bother complaining. There was an issue getting a bottle of wine to our table as we had to follow up and ask for it 3 times and finally got it about half hour or so later. Could be due to having 3 x different wait staff serving us in the first hour.

That said the meals were steaming hot and quick to come to our tables and all at once. Tasty and delicious and we all shared the mains. Not that there is anything wrong with Nirvana and the Deck Bar but I would have thought some originality in the menu would have been good and again especially since they have marketed themselves as a Vietnamese Restaurant on their own website. Laksa is the signature dish of the Deck Bar and the Curries etc are renowned from Nirvana so a bit of de ja vu same old same old.

Perhaps take a leaf out of Luke Nguyen's menu for Red Lantern on Riley for a truly complete Vietnamese menu.

I hope the restaurant takes this all on board and not just as comments from whinging customers as this place has ALOT of potential to be the best restaurant in Darwin.

1 Thank rockabette
Milestone G, Public Relations Manager at Chow! A Taste of South East Asia, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Dear Rockabette,

Thank you for your kind words, we welcome constructive criticism so your suggestions are duly noted.

Our sister venues have some wonderful dishes that have been staple Darwin favourites for many years, sticking with something that works makes sense to us.

W do hope that you will come and visit us again soon, as we are always growing and learning, and after only a few months of actually being in operation, we believe we have come a long way.

Warmest regards,

Darwin, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Lovely dining experience”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

A group of 4 of us went to Chow on Thursday night. The staff were great, very attentive and helpful, the meals were yummy and very reasonably priced as well! We tried about 6 different cocktails and they were all very different to the normal run of the mill drinks but were really cool. The only criticism i have is that the drinks took a little while to come out. I think they may have needed an extra person working in the bar, as the barman seemed flat out. But when the drinks came, they were great!
I would definately recommend this place to others and will certainly be returning!
Good Stuff fellas!

1 Thank Lauren W
Dear Lauren W,

Thank you for your wonderful review of CHOW!

We know it will be a long road to ‘perfection’ but we are having fun along the way, and reviews such as yours keep us striving and aiming higher!

Darwin
“Can't wait to go back”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

From the arrival the greeting was so friendly it was going to be interesting if it would continue. Yes, it did. The oysters were delicious, as was the rice pancake - wish I'd ordered more of each! Beef Pho YUM. Couldn't eat all mine & was happy i was able to take home in a doggy bag My friend had Laksa & almost licked the bowl! Norwegian mineral water at $8.50 a bottle and got to keep the bottle..could ask why No Australian mineral water that comes in nice bottles? Smaller carbon footprint perhaps? All good though. Chow - thanks for a great night

1 Thank EstherDarwin
Dear EstherDarwin,

Darwin, Australia
“Amazing Asian Cuisine”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

This was my second time at Chow after having been for a delicious pocket friendly lunch (wonton and BBQ pork soup- delicious!!!) with some key hospitality staff in Darwin.
The food had been calling me since my last visit and when the girls suggested a ladies night out I suggested Chow immediately.
The hostess seated us straight away despite it being a very busy Friday night - I would definitely advise booking - and advised us of our waitress.
Water was supplied immediately, and throughout the warm Darwin evening, and a drink order taken that arrived promptly.
We perused the extensive menu whilst waiting for the rest of the girls to arrive.
Only only problem - what to order????? So many delicious items to choose from.
A share entree plate maybe added to the menu?
We placed our entree orders and mains at the same time as the kitchen was getting pretty busy.
It was a very pleasant surprise to see how quickly the entrees arrived. I had the green rice flake spring rolls and I would return just to have these again - 5 Decent rolls at a price of $12 is pretty good value in my book. Would have been great to share but they were so good I had then all to myself!! Other winners were the rice paper rolls - you could taste the freshness and a friend commented that were better than the Nightcliff market offering-high praise indeed!! My main was the pho beef soup and it was incredible. A very large serve and I struggled to finish it - maybe I didn't need all 5 of the spring rolls ?
The girls shared lemongrass chicken, the lamb korma, red duck curry, and garlic king prawns. Rice was $3 a person and happily resupplied free of charge once we had finished the original bowls. So much amazing food, we couldn't finish it all.
Our total bill of $45 per head including wine and some premium asian beers was very reasonable. A great venue to share some dishes with friends to enable you to taste all that is on offer!
We all left with very full bellies and happy contented faces discussing when we would be back next! The pineapple and mint crushie and DIY pork pancakes are on the list for next time.
I can honestly say this is one of the best meals I have had in Darwin in nearly 3 years.

Dear JenK1973,