“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Dolce Espresso Bar

Dolce Espresso Bar
Ranked #18 of 18 Coffee & Tea in Darwin
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Darwin, Australia
“Never Again”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

My daughter, a friend and myself decided to have lunch here on 6 November while we were in the Mall shopping.
They had the menu located on the wall outside and it offered many different types of food ie: Sandwiches, Bacon & Eggs, Yiros, Italian meals etc.
We ordered a Ham, Cheese and Tomato Croissant and 2 Lamb Yiros. The person who served us said they only had 1 pita bread left for the Yiros and said he would put the other on turkish bread. We were so hungry and on our way home so we accepted. It was 12.30pm (normal lunch time)
There were 2 blowflies buzzing around our table (inside) and it was quite clear to the staff that we were constantly shooing them away.
A staff member brought my yiros to the table and it looked like a pancake with meat, lettuce, tomatoes and yoghurt dressing on top. I started to eat my meal through extreme hunger while my other 2 guests waited for theirs. Theirs came about 6 to 8 minutes later. I couldnt fold the pita bread around the contents as it was clearly very stale and hard so I decided to use my knife and fork. I kid you not, I could not even cut the bread with my knife and it was a cerated edge steel knife.
My daughters croissant was made with processed 'look a like' ham, the lettuce was almost white and the tomato's were of a very light colour, mushy and tasteless. She couldnt eat hers.
My friends Yiros (made with turkish bread because they didnt have any pita bread left) was as hard as concrete and she too found it impossible to cut let alone chew. The lamb for our yiros' (as requested) was not lamb. It tasted like stewing steak with a mint flavour.
To my surprise, after continuously swatting the blowflies, without success, an employee puts a bag of frozen pita bread in the fridge that was adjacent to where we were sitting.
Tasteless, stale, expensive and just plain disgusting.
This place should be under investigation by the Health Department. I dont mind paying top dollar for fresh food but this was clearly worst than 3rd world standard.
I didnt take photo's as I had zero battery left on my phone. The staff were well aware that we were not happy as they saw us constantly shooing the flies and it was clear we ate little from our plates. I was going to complain but I didnt want to ruin my birthday and there were 4 people waiting at the counter. We will never go here again and I wouldnt recommend it for any type of food.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank CoffeeChillOut

Darwin, Australia
“Great spot - very central!”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very light lunches, terrific coffee and sorbets - you must try the mango!
Good location to stop off and enjoy a shopping break!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mary W
Adelaide, Australia
“Long wait, ok coffee”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Waited 15+min for coffee, which (flat white) was far too hot, but not bad. Nice spot and nice staff though.

Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Spot, Great Breakfast, Reasonable Prices”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

A warm and on this particular day in Darwin, rather windy. Dolce Espresso Bar proved to be a great choice for our breakfast - right on the corner of the mall, we could still sit out doors in the shade and yet be out of the wind. Our big breakfast - toast, 2 beautifully poached eggs, bacon, hash browns and a sausage was really delicious. Washed down with a coffee each - and damn good coffee too - all for around $45.

• Visited June 2013