1,374 results
All reviews double tree poolside restaurant a harbour view room room service mitchell street small balcony pool area coffee machine reception staff top end across the road wet season buffet breakfast checking in nice pool esplanade balconies
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

With Hilton in the name I was looking forward to the stay but I found the it a bit of a let down.

It all started with the checking in; arriving at the address I received on my paperwork, hot tired and my body turning my top into a wet t-shirt competition, I was promptly told I was in the other hotel down the road... The chap on reception read my body language well, meeting my 'WTH' look with, "don't worry, its only a 50-60m walk down the street" and was promptly on to the next check-in.

After struggling with my luggage in the afternoon heat I made my way to the 'other reception' only to be met with a wait whilst the two reception staff worked through a group of customers just off their bus. The wait did however allow my moisture drenched shirt turn into an ice vest in the air conditioning, on the upside I was provided a still warm cookie which really was quite nice!

On getting to the room I was initially quite impressed, very spacious, bright and airy. However, after settling in I started to see a few things that raised an eyebrow, for my one night stay;
- The toilet seat was not properly fixed, it moved when sat on, almost 'dethroning' me.
- When using the shower I found sections of grout between tiles were covered with mould.
- the net curtain across the sliding door had a 2" by 2" tear
- When I went to use the iron the next morning I found the water reservoir cover/door was gone, so every time you moved the iron around over clothing the water splashed out the front of the iron.
- The air conditioning was either hot or cold, it was very difficult to establish a comfortable temperature, this provided a very broken sleep as I either sweated or froze in bed.

Whilst there is a bit of a list, they are simple issues which should be captured and addressed as they happen, obviously the room temperature is subjective and could be me more than the facility.

On the flip side, I found the location nice with a short walk to the social areas in town and a nice stroll along the water front through the park.

The staff (in the hotel I stayed in) were very helpful and extremely pleasant. I didn't try the inhouse food, too expensive for my taste. I wasn't going to pay the almost $30 for a breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel overlook the park and waterfront, not the back of buildings and garbage bins like I had.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled on business
MartinRogers, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Mark B

I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with you stay in Darwin.

It is regretted that you arrived at the wrong hotel, but they both have different names: Doubletree Hilton and Doubletree Esplanade Hilton. Luckily they are both located next door to each other within a very short walking distance

It is good to hear that the staff were helpful and extremely pleasant during your stay. I will ensure that all th eissues you have reaised are discussed and actioned with the hotel management tea,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The rooms are clean and spacious and so it the bathroom. There is a small balcony great for views even if it is a city view. Parking is easy and close walking distance to the CBD and restaurants if you don’t want to eat at the hotel.

The outside of the hotel needs a face lift, but don’t let it fool you into thinking the inside isn’t clean and modern. Room service food is good and there was a friendly welcome at reception. The only thing I don’t like is the annoying text messages you get after checking in.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple

Dear taniamF5717LT

Thank you for visiting Darwin and staying in our hotel

The hotel was one of the first original hotels and survived Cyclone Tracy. Howver, you are right - the inside of the hotel has been recently refurbished

Reviewed August 26, 2018

Our stay was marred by extremely poor service, and an uncomfortable bed. Our check in was easy and quick, but after our first night, we had a bad sleep due to the bed being too soft. We asked the duty manager if we could swap to two single beds in the hope of rectifying the problem. Kevin said he would ask the manager, and get back to us. We didn't hear back, so we called the front desk, which rang out twice. Nobody answered, or followed up on our query, even though we continued to receive texts asking us how our stay was going. On the final day of our stay, we returned to the room to find that it hadn't been serviced, so we had to call front desk to ask for fresh towels. That night we rang for room service, and the call took 25 minutes to be answered. Then we were asked to hold, the phone was put down and 10 minutes later another staff member randomly picked up. We were given a complimentary bottle of wine as an apology, but the experience has not been forgotten.

• Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
MartinRogers, Owner at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2018

Dear Aaron S

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your recent visit to our hotel in Darwin

I am sorry to hear that the bed was not up to your expectations and will discuss this firther with the Front of House Manager why an alternative room or a move to our sister Hotel (Doubletree Esplanade) was not offered. Unfortunately I was unable to trace this issue on the Duty Managers reports and it is near impossible for us to trace your reservation using the Trip Advisor code names ie Aaron S.

I am glad to read that a complimentary bottle of wine was offered and acceptable as an apology from the team

Reviewed August 25, 2018

Arrival service was top notch but from then it just went all down hill. The room was nice and clean but the mattress you wouldn't let your dog sleep on it. You could literally feel the springs cutting into your back and the mattress was soooo soft than very little turn created wave-like juggle. I had to actually even sleep on the floor one night because it was just so unbearable. Our room hasn't been made up the 3rd day and after calling the reception the guys hasn't been worried by that all. Well we weren't either at that point as we were exhausted and just asked for fresh towels which arrived about 30 mins later. The last night we ordered some room service and it was one big fail. 40 mins later order still hasn't arrived so we called the reception. It was ringing for almost 30 mins. Then someone pick up and put us on hold to "check on the order status", another 30 mins on hold then we got finally connected to someone who sorted it out and made the bottle of bubbles complimentary as an apology.

Room Tip: top floor is nice
  • Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
MartinRogers, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Dear the beardeddogwalker

Thank you for your review and comments. I am disappointed to hear about the issues you have raised on your review and hope that the bed was reported on your first night of arrival. The team should have offered your a room move and even a move into our sister hotel the Doubletree Esplanade (2 minutes walking distance). I have received the Duty Manager log with the team and unfortunately can not trace any requests and we are unable to identify your reservation via the trip advisor names sued

Reviewed August 23, 2018 via mobile

Check in was a breeze , room was comfortable and large, good quality linen and the bed was extremely comfortable, was a bit noisey out on the balcony but I was staying in Darwin for New Years so you expect that. Breakfast Room service wasn’t great, took a long time to come and when it did the food was cold. But I was understanding seeing it was a very busy time to be staying. Staff were helpful and friendly and accommodated me extending my booking for two extra nights without having to change rooms Will stay again when next I’m in Darwin !

Stayed: December 2017, traveled solo

Dear V5444NO

Thank you for your kind review and comments