“New name and needs new image”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Brisbane
“New name and needs new image”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have stayed here many times over the years and whilst it was operated by various hotel management groups and it is good to see that many of the old Holiday Inn staff are still employed as I have always found them very helpful, friendly and efficient.

I know that there were renovations undertaken not so long ago however the hotel is definitely showing its age and really needs extensive restyling across all areas. the bathrooms in particular are really not up to the standards of a CBD hotel in the 21st century.

Whilst the food in the restaurant is good with a good selection the room service menu is a bit limited.

The location is great if you have business in the CBD however you need a car to get around if you are needing to visit the outlying industrial areas. There is plenty of free off street parking available on site but not undercover.

I always try to get a harbour side room as the views, particularly from the higher floors is very pleasant.

Like all hotels in Darwin prices are very expensive during the dry season but drop off in the wet to more realistic levels for what you get.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank morobe
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
Dear morobe

Thank you for your post. We are continuing to refresh our hotel since taking over the management of the property and our bathroom renovations commence in January. Thank you for you comments about our friendly team - they are our best asset and do a wonderful job in looking after our guests. We hope to see you again soon.

Carey Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Not a bad place to stay for a night out on the town, free parking is very handy. Hotel rooms are a bit tired looking for a 4.5 star rating but the beds are really comfortable and the view from the harbour side rooms is pretty good especially from level 10.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your post. I am pleased tha you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you when you next travel to Darwin. Remember to access our best rates guaranteed, please make your reservation at doubletree.com

Crows Nest, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

While the building is showing its age, with bathrooms soon to be refurbished, the attitude of the staff more than make up for it.

A great breakfast, with crispy bacon, amazing views and flawless service.

Special mention to Jade who was a delight to deal with and handled my continued requests with ease, efficiency and a smile.

I would highly recommend a stay.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Thomas
Thank you for your post. It is always lovely when a guest takes the time to comment on service delivered by the team, and even nicer when a particular team member is recognised for delivering outstanding service. Jade will be recognised at our next team celebration with a star bond. Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Darwin.
Sydney
Reviewed October 27, 2013

The hotel is a little shabby; bedrooms and public areas could all do with an overhaul. Pool and pool area wonderful and very welcome in the intense heat of the NT!

I didn't get my promised cookie at check in, and was disappointed to find no robe in the wardrobe (not standard apparently), however both were promptly brought to me when I called reception.

The TV in my room however didn't work, and despite a technician trying for over an hour it remained broken. I was offered another room but it was 830pm by this point, I was up at 5.30am for a tour and not in the mood for moving so declined. I was offered a full buffet breakfast when I called to say I didn't want to move, but due to me early departure that wasn't possible so I was offered 25% off my bill which I thought was very generous.

Everyone I encountered was friendly and helpful, the bed was comfy and all in all it was a good stay. It's a great location and only a short stroll from all the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Claire M - thank you for your post and apologies for the issues that you encountered during your stay. I am pleased that the team were able to make things right for you. Our pool area is great and I am happy that you managed to find the time to enjoy it. Thank you again for your feedback, it is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Darwin. KInd Regards. Carey Osborne
Kialla, Australia
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Great hotel in a great location, beautiful views of harbour and good for the business traveller. Very friendly and helpful staff. The pool area and restaurant have a real tropical amenity. Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Kevin K

Thank you for your post on your recent visit to our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and the service that the team extended to you.

Thanks again and we hope to see you when you next visit the Top End. Remember to go to doubletree.com for our best rates guaranteed.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Everything was great!Staff were so friendly and helpful!The cookies were great!Meals were lovely!Poll nice and clean!We have a special needs baby in our care and the staff were amazing with him! SO we will be back real soon thank you.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear gayleen24

I am so pleased that you had such a great stay at our hotel. Thank you for your kind words about our team, they do a fantastic job and I am happy that you enjoyed your interactions with them. We look forward to welcoming you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin one day soon.

Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel as a Wotif mystery deal as we were only overnighting in Darwin. I was originally pleased to discover it was a Hilton branded property as I have always enjoyed their hotels in the past. Unfortunately this is not a Hilton standard hotel. The bedroom area is ok but the bathroom is horrible, dated and dirty with mould and grime clearly visible (see photos). We only had breakfast in the hotel which was just average and pricey at $27pp.
I have stayed in better 3 star in Vietnam and for anyone coming to Darwin I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela R
Dear Angela R

Thank you for your comments and I am sorry that your stay was not what you had hoped for. Our new bathroom prototype has just been reviewed and I am pleased to advise that the start of our bathrooms renovations will commence shortly.

Thank you once again. Please do not hesitate to reach out to me personally if I can every be of any assistance.