“Beautiful View”

Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Perth WA
“Beautiful View”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

I loved this hotel and Im sure the destination and warm climate added to my overall feeling of the hotel. That being said, We were genuinely welcomed when checking in and given vouchers for our chocolate chip cookies that were not quite ready- when we did get them, they were still warm and hard to resist (that coming from someone who usually can give a cookie a miss) I initially made our booking for this hotel through the Holiday Inn website and in the meantime the Hotel obviously changed branding to Hilton. Our booking was honoured as initially booked and I am happy to report the customer service was outstanding throughout our stay. Cocktails from the restaurant and enjoyed near the pool deck were very enjoyable after a day out. Our room on the eighth floor with two double beds and harbour view was big enough for us , 3 family members. Although situated close to the lift the room was quiet and I enjoyed five nights of rested sleep. The rooms are tired but definitely comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay again and recommend Double Tree - a lick of paint and my overall rating would be five star.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Janny_9

I was delighted to hear that you had a wonderful stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin. Our Cookies are world famous, and I am glad we were able to tempt you with one ! The team do a fantastic job and I am pleased that you enjoyed the service extended to you.

We hope to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton one day soon.

Carey Osborne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Spent the best Saturday night of my life curled up in bed watching the best tv network of all time, Animal Planet. The shows about various cats and heroic dogs gave me the a wonderful nights sleep before my flight the next day.

• Stayed June 2013
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Saturok

I am so glad that you had a great stay with us. Sometimes, there is nothing better than a great night in with room service and watching TV. I am pleased that you had a realxing stay with us. We hope to see you again soon.

langwarrin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Was worried about the negative postings but we are very happy with our room and the hotel is no way as bad as the negatives say. The staff have been excellent, pleasant and very helpful so if you are worried don't be. Doubletree staff are working hard to please. The Restaurant ambience is very pleasant. - The Barramundi we enjoyed very much. we watched the chefs work unaware we were watching them and the attention to detail was 'master chef' standard. Well done Doubletree.

Room Tip: We enjoyed room 609 with a fab view over the water and park. Sunsets in Darwin are magnificent and c...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your positive experience wanderlustLangwarrin. I was particularly pleased to hear the you found the team to provide excellent customer service and that you enjoyed the Barramundi and Poolside Restaurant. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin soon.

Benloch, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Stayed at Double Tree one week after the Hilton took over. The single room had a view over the dumpster and bins. I attempted to call reception with the details on the card next to the phone and also the concierge. No answer from either. Bar shut at 10.30pm on the Sunday and Monday night. Iron did not work in the room and as I was unable to contact reception I had to take it down although I was in a hurry for an awards presentation elsewhere.
On checkout I was again presented with a bill for accomodation although it had been paid weeks earlier. If I did not have a copy of emails acknowleding payment I would have had to pay again. When I asked about the phone not being answered at reception I was told that the Hilton Management had come through the previous week and put out cards in each room with the incorrect phone numbers on them, I suggesated that perhaps they should have been removed. Reply, Its not our fault... Bar Closing at 10.30pm? Reply, should shut at midnight but we have just changed to the Hilton so it is not our fault. .. Why did they try and charge me twice for the room?... The records did not transfer when the Hilton took over so it is not our fault. This check out procedure took 35 mins after I commenced it at 9.30am. I missed breakfast and when I asked what I could do I was told to go down to one of the cafes in the shopping precinct and buy some. I filled out a comments card but have heard nothing. I presume it was filed in the rubbish bin.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view over the water.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter M
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Peter M
Thank you for your post about your stay back in the first week of May. The conversion of the hotel did pose a few challenges for the team and I sincerely apologise for the lack of service and ownership that you received when raising your concerns. While unfortunately I did not receive your comment card, I believe I met with your colleague the day before your departure to address some of your issues and concerns and had organised some wine for you all to enjoy at your leisure as an apology gesture. We have now been a DoubleTree by Hilton for almost 6 weeks, and our teething issues have been resolved.
Peter M, when you next choose to travel to Darwin, please contact me so that I can personally ensure that you stay with us is a smooth and hassle free one.

Cleve SA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed at Double Tree by choice and were very pleased we did. It may not be the most modern hotel but the top service and friendly staff made our stay very enjoyable. The pool is very relaxing and not too over crowded.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

Shocked that these guys can call themselves a Hilton! They are the old holiday inn and are more suited to that standard.
I stayed 3 nights and it did the job as I was hardly there. The rooms are large, my bathroom has a horrible smell to it but could not be bothered to complain as I was hardly going to be there.
The room could do with an amenity book advising of the services in the hotel.
Plus points: reasonably helpful staff (they did happily freeze a water bottle for me to take on a long trip), they did provide a take away breakfast as I left for a trip before breakfast or room service commenced. Room service food was very good. Breakfast was very nice, but expensive.
Few boo boos: I asked for a wake up call and a taxi 30 minutes later, the receptionist booked both for the same time?! woke me up then asked if I was ready to leave!. I left 2 notes for housekeeping to stock my bathroom kit with cotton buds and a razor and toothpaste. they only left 1 of the 3 the first time, so had to ask again! second day I received all requested items. Housekeeping is hit and miss, forgot to leave shower gel on second day.
Bar staff are friendly, hotel is pretty clean but needs a refurb in certain areas (corridors) and the closing of doors is pretty noisy. Pool looked nice but did not get time for a dip. A dressing gown would have been a nice touch for this standard hotel.
Overall it was a good stay for what I wanted but would probably not recommend again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Perthgirl31

Thank you for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin.

I apologise for the housekeeping issues that you encountered during your stay with us.Our guest room compendium is normally located on the work desk, and I hope not having one did not inconvenience you too greatly. Our bathrooms will be renovated starting in November, which will greatly enhance the guest room experience for our guests.

Perthgirl31, I do hope that when you next travel to Darwin that you will choose to stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin once again.

Vila Velha, ES
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

We liked our room, especially the super soft bed which allowed us to have a very relaxing sleep.The check-in personnel at the front desk were superfriendly and helpful. The hotel is in an old triangular building, but was up-graded recently (until short time ago the hotel was a Holiday Inn). As with all hotels in this part of Australia, the Double Tree is way too expensive when compared to hotels in the US, Europe or South America of the same quality. A plus of the hotel is the walking distance to the Aquascene (fish feeding) and the main shopping area (both 5 min walk)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Doffa

Thank you for taking the time to post about your recent visit at the DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin. Our beds are very comfortable and that the team very very friendly and helpful to you during your stay.

The team and I hope to see you again soon at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin.