“Great views, average quality accomodations”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin
Ranked #7 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We booked a Holiday Inn and by the time we got there, the hotel was a DoubleTree. Not a big problem but as there are TWO hotels side by side with the same name (hello?? Hilton Marketing?? does anyone care about the concept of Change management?) we had to investigate (with our cabbie's assistance) which was our hotel. The room had a terrific view of the harbour, a very good bed, and the worst bathtub I have ever seen. Why anyone should have to climb up and over a ledge to take a shower is beyond my comprehension. I think the halls and hall carpets need a major renovation too. That said the staff was extremely kind and courteous, the service in the restaurant was friendly and competent and the food OK to good. One comment about breakfast, I think the self-serve coffee machine confused nearly every person I saw using it during our five day stay. Urns of hot water for tea would ease the morning congestion, I gave up competing for a cuppa when there was a large tour group also staying at the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear SheilaC

Thank you for your post. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed the service extended by the team. I apologise for the confusion in regards to the hotel location on your arrival, I understand how frustrating and confusing it was for our guests during this time of transition.

Our renovations that will address your concerns are scheduled to commence from late October and will really lift the quality of the guest room experience.

Thank you once again SheliaC, we hope to welcome you back to DoubleTree by Hilton when you next travel to Darwin.

Carey Osborne

Write a ReviewReviews (1,295)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

This hotel is in a great spot, over looking the water and a well maintained parklands area.
It is in easy walking distance to Mitchell St which has a large range of restaurants and bars to pass an afternoon in Darwin.
The hotel is showing it age. It seems to have had some updates but I think there is still more that can and should be done for the nightly rate asked to stay here.
The bar and pool area is nice and the Breakfast is good.
I would consider another hotel next time I am in Darwin.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ddh04

Dear ddh04

Thank you for your comments. DoubleTree by Hilton assumed operation of the property on 1 May. We do have some rennovations and modernisation of the building planned to commence in the last quarter of this year.

I do hope that you will come and stay with us again when you are next in Darwin.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Having booked and paid for this hotel some months ago, there was confusion when we arrived in on Sunday night for a 5 night stay. Apparently the hotel had recently changed names and put in new management (of which we were unaware) and our booking had not been transferred from the old computer system to the new one. No problem - we handed over our booking printout (which was photocopied by the receptionist), we were registered and checked in and all seemed OK. The next four mornings, however, were very uncomfortable for us when we went to the dining room for breakfast. We had prepaid for breakfast each day when we booked but this had not been conveyed to the dining room staff. We were treated with a high degree of suspicion, and it was obvious that the dining room staff did not believe us when we said we had prepaid. This was embarrassing in front of other guests.The dining room staff did not attempt to sort it out at reception. We were left to do this. The reception staff had failed to add this detail on the computer when they checked us in. They could not find their photocopy of the booking details so we had to furnish another copy. After this was sorted out we rechecked the other details on our booking printout and discovered that we had not been allocated to the type of room we requested and paid for (a room with two double beds). We also had issues with the overall cleanliness of the room - the toilet looked like it had not been cleaned, and the floor had not been vaccuumed. The room was quite dusty. We also had ants in our room. We returned to the reception desk to discuss these issues. The receptionist attempted to explain some of these concerns as being typical of Darwin (the dust, the ants). We could not really follow the explanation about the number of beds being different to what we requested. Fortunately a more senior staff member (Kanu) intervened and in compensation we were offered an upgraded room with an ocean view (still with only one bed) for our last night, and late check-out. Our overall impression was that there was a lot of confusion in this settling in period, staff not sure what to do, little communication and systems that were not operating properly. The rooms were supposed to have been recently refurbished (according to the description when we booked) but they were in some ways quite shabby. The pool did not look clean. On the plus side it is in a great location. The gardens were very nice. The breakfast was substantial with a good range of selections. The bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning was essential and worked well. We ordered room service on two occasions and that was prompt and the food was good. The reception staff were helpful with things like booking taxis and giving us information and directions. Would we stay there again? Possibly, if we could be assured that these teething problems are sorted and communication is improved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
1  Thank Deakinfan
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Dear Deakinfan

Thank you for taking the time to provide such detailed comments about your recent visit with us. I can completely understand why you have titled your feedback as a mixed experience and sincerley apologise for the issues that you encountered during your stay with us.

The conversion to the DoubleTree brand occurred on 1 May and we did experience a few teething issues over the conversion period.

I was pleased to read that Kanu and the food and beverage team delivered some great service to you. We have sorted out the issues that we experienced on conversion and look forward to extending to you on your next visit to Darwin a hassle free stay and the warm welcome that DoubleTree by Hilton is known for around the world.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

On arrival there was some confusion as two hotels with the same name next door to each other, natrually one cheaper than the other. Anyway, checked in with ease, room on 10th floor with side view of harbour on a balcony that couldn't pass any health and safety law if it tried. Bathroom basic and so dark, air con noisy, room dated with an 80's feel to the place, mini bar not checked so half drunk items in the fridge. Bar staff hopeless and swimming pool slimey so we didn't swim in it! Good location, except park opposite was a bit seedy, hotel super basic and in need or refurbishment. Grossly overpriced! Come on Hilton you can do better....!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Sezza10

Dear Sezza 10

Thank you for your feedback about your recent visit with us. We cannot improve without such comments from our guests, so I do thank you for letting us know.

I apologise for the issues that you encountered with your mini bar and bathroom.

You will be pleased to hear that we will start some improvements later this year that will assist in modernising our rooms for our guests. I hope that you will return to Darwin and be able to experience the new look.

I do

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Thank you for the most enjoyable experience. Service was outstanding in all areas for the full 8 nights that we stayed. Breakfast delicious with a great selection and the staff made our visit even more enjoyable by taking the time to ask about our plans for the day and making suggestions. This was most helpful and even more special when they see you at the shops and say hello.. Yum to the cocktails and your pool area was so relaxing. Room service was quick and effecient and the food in both the resturant/bar area/room service was quick and delicious. The friendliness of all the staff was so warm we began to feel like part of a family and the 'cookie" which was still warm was a wonderful gesture as you arrive. We will be returning as soon as possible and would look forward to staying with you again. THANK YOU

Room Tip: high room with ocean view

Dear Kim189

Great to hear that you had a fantastic stay and enjoyed the warm DoubleTree by Hilton cookie on arrival. We do have a fantastic team and it is always pleasing when someone comments on how special they helped make their stay.

Thanks again Kim, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Situated in a fantastic location with beautiful views from the King Harbour View rooms.
Nightlife, restaurants, pubs and shopping centre are all walking distance.
Very relaxing and lucky to have access to the facilities of both Holiday Inns.
Rooms are very clean and good selection of in-house new release movies for those quiet moments in.

Room Tip: King Harbour View
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear StellaArthurT

Thank you for your comments. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our hotel really does have the best location in town and the harbour views from our balconies are amazing.

Thank you once again and the team an I look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

Holiday Inn, The Esplanade, Darwin is now a DoubleTree by Hilton which caused me all sorts of problems. First, after booking with Holiday Inn several months ago for 122 The Espanade, I had great trouble trying to find the hotel even with my sat/nav. I was directed to what appeared to be the address OK, but it had the DoubleTree signs on the front door. I drove up and down The Esplanade but the sat/nav kept bringing me back to DoubleTree. Eventually I parked in their carpark and re-checked everything, when a taxi called in to drop off so I asked the driver where to find the Holiday Inn. “You are here.” Was the reply, upon which I then drew his attention to the signs, and that surprise him.

The changeover happened last night as at midnight 1 May 2013. No wonder I was confused. The original DoubleTree is also right next door at 116. The new signs, with the address on them, were put up out the front on our second day there.

Check in was relatively smooth, considering that there was no on-line connection at that stage due to the changeover. I am a Hilton HHonours member, and was assured that when the computer system is up and running that will be picked up to the benefit of my points score.

I must say the downstairs reception area, bar/dining and swimming pool areas are very well presented, and the staff we met were all very cheerful and helpful, even though there have been difficulties with the changeover. Two of the reception staff in particular were very, very patient with me as I was experiencing difficulties with the internet connection. After I eventually spoke with the ISP providing the service it turns out the problems I was having was also due to the system not yet being fully integrated from the Holiday Inn to the Hilton system. That problem was fixed within 12 hours of my experiencing it and ran very smoothly and fast from then on.

We had booked an ocean view suite and were allocated one on the 8th floor. The room was smaller than I expected, although still having quite adequate space, and was reasonably laid out. The view was absolutely stunning with the parks across the road, lovely shady trees and then the ocean. Our room appeared to have been recently refurbished and the standard of furnishings was similar to what we had experienced with several Hilton Garden Inns in the US last year. The one feature I did find fault with was that the toilet cistern was quite old, although working OK, and looked a bit tatty compared to the rest of the bathroom. The beds were very comfortable.

Relaxing Poolside was great either inside or on the large covered patio area. Some lovely cooling beers led us to dine there as well one night and, while the menu was not extensive, it was reasonable. The crispy skin barramundi I had, and the salmon my wife had on the first night were both very nice meals.

I would stay here again and could recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

Dear Frommy

Please accept my apologies for the challenges that you experienced in finding the hotel and for the issues with your internet. I understand how frustrating and inconvenient that this would have been for you.

I was however pleased to hear that the rest of your stay was an enjoyable one and we hope to be able to welcome you back to the DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin one day soo.