“Wonderful bed!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
Ranked #16 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed August 10, 2013

This was once a holiday inn and is awaiting a bit of a spruce up.
However it has a certain charm about it despite being a bit dated. Feels like a luxury hotel from 20 years ago! very comfortable room, good size and amazing bed. Niggles - broken hair dryer, no pen or bottle opener in room, with fi that you have to pay for (come on - this is 2013!). It was good value generally though so as long as you get a decent price the hotel makes a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Nastechautobin

Thank you for your post and I am glad that you had a great nights sleep in our wonderful beds. I am glad that you had a comfortable stay with us.

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Stayed in the hotel for 5 days 4 nights. Our sheets were not changed for all the 4 nights we were in the hotel. Had rashes since first night. The house keeping did not clear the hair in the toilet for all the 5 days. I have long hair so it's very obvious on the ground. Shower cubicle has leakage which allowed the shower water to flow to the toilet bowl area... Left our used cups and glass on the table before we went out. When we arrived back, the cups and glasses were put back nicely onto the shelves, but when we were going to use them, we realized that the cups were not washed (obvious as the chocolate powder stain was still there) and the glasses still have lip stains.

Overall, it's a horrible stay. Will never come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Choo Y
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Choo Y

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback as it helps me to understand what we do well and where we can improve.

I am sorry that we have not met your expectations, your opinion matters and I have shared these with the team so we can improve. Consistency in standards is important and it is disappointing to read where we have not met this goal.

Once again sincere apologies that you left with a less than positive impression, your opinions are valued. Should you decide to revisit Darwin, please do reach out to me as I would like to be able to restore your confidence in the hotel and what we strive to deliver to our guests.

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We booked our trip to Darwin without realising it would be Cup week! We then found it extremely difficult to find accommodation for the whole week we were staying - this hotel was the only one we found that had a room available so we booked it without doing much research. As it turned out, we were very happy with the hotel - it has a fantastic location on the Esplanade, just a short stroll to the best bars & restaurants. The staff were fantastic. It does need a bit of modernisation, but our room was very clean and comfortable. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your feedback and we are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin. We are continuing to refresh our hotel with our new bathrooms starting to come on line from November of this year.

The team and I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

It was a good hotel, especially if you love a warm cookie on arrival. My room was adequate and definitely met my needs. I would question the value of breakfast if you aren't planning to eat a lot. Views from the room were quite lovely and I was only on the first floor. Staff were very frienly and helpful. Overall, a good experience; although I would question the value of the hotel if I was paying for myself. This is Darwin, though!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Dear Mary K

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time at DoubleTree by Hilton Esplanade Darwin.

We do also have an a la carte breakfast available should you not wish to indulge in the "Wake Up" DoubleTree by Hilton buffet breakfast. There is a great range of options to choose from and it is a great alternative for those who don't wish to indulge every day.

Thanks again and we hope to see you when you next travel to Darwin.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you like staying in 1982 you'll love this hotel. It's tired and dated. The bathroom is beyond even looking nice. The mattresses haven't been changed in forever. It was hands down the worst night sleep I've ever had. You'd be better off crossing the road and sleeping in the longgrass.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Laurel M

Dear Laurel M

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us and I was sorry to read that your stay was not an enjoyable one. Please be assured that I will personally inspect this room and take the appropriate action to rectify any issues.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

Location of Motel excellent. Service by motel staff was excellent; Room service very prompt. However considering the price of the room and self rating; I believe the room / amenities are in need of an upgrade. The air con vent was very dirty. Room cleanliness average. Bathroom fixtures dated. Water pressure in shower poor; shower curtain needed replacing

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
CareyOsborne, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Dear CecilyL

Thank you for your comments about the excellent service extended to you by the team. Our bathrooms will be completely modernised with our impending refurbuishments in November, I hope you will be able to return to us to experience them.

We hope to see you again soon at DoubleTree by Hilton Darwin.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

I cannot believe that Hilton put its name to this hotel. It is very much in need of renovation or demolition. The public areas are tired looking but the real let down is the rooms.
They are very dated and are not cleaned properly. The bathroom is a shower over a bath with no water pressure and a revolting shower curtain.
Reception staff where pleasant when you could get to them but they seemed under staffed.
The upside of this hotel is its location on The Esplanade and its easy walking distance to restaurants and shops. I had beautiful views to the water.
I know this was tourist high season but the rate charged was a complete and utter rip-off. I read in the NT News that tourist numbers are down. To me it is no surprise considering what hotels are restaurants are charging.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business