“Very pleasant stay and great value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin
Ranked #14 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin, Australia
“Very pleasant stay and great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

We are Darwin residents who regularly take a break and stay in the city. As Priority Club members we received an offer to stay here. We usually stay here or Crowne Plaza. Booked in early and offered a late check out at 2pm the following day whichwas gratefully accepted. Up-side: great staff - very efficient and friendly. Poolside bar does very good service (try the tempura prwns). Great location. Comfy beds and clean rooms. Downside: rooms starting to look dated - would probably expect a plasma TV in a hotel of this standard, room lacked a bot of atmosphere. However, on the whole a very enjoyable stay with great staff

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank JonandTracyBaker
AndrewBayliss, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, September 20, 2011
9 helpfull votes already.......I have a capital review meeting next month to review the introdution of the ''plasmatv''. This is a consistent comment from many of our guests.Your comment will help me get the neccessary approvals. Holiday Inn Esplanade really are very very very pleased to see you have taken the time to review our Holiday Inn. Our aim is to be NUMBER ONE..........or at the very least be the number one IHG hotel in Darwin! A little bit of competition with the Crowne Plaza Darwin.......one of our sister hotels who is number 3 ranked. Please dont hesitate to contact me on your next stay in a Holiday inn if you have any special requests.
with best
Andrew.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Indonesian first
Fremantle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I booked a room here for my elderly mother and I, and requested a two bed room with a walk in shower. When we arrived they had booked us a room with one bed. Very apologetic, but provided a rollaway.

Room was spacious and comfortable. There was plenty of room for the rollaway which was very comfortable.

Our room was quiet, clean and comfortable. Bathroom a little dated, but adequate.

Great location.

No problem recommending this hotel, but if you have special requests, I'd suggest calling a day or two before to ensure it is all ok.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Holiday Inn Esplanade really could not ''afford'' to get such a priceless headline you have provided. Our team are very proud of the review you have given us and the headline. We were wondering if you did go to KAKADU? An essentail part of any trip to the Top End. I sincerely apologise for getting you reservation wrong and am delighted that it did not impact your experience/stay too much. Freemantle is very much in the news if you are a AFL fan............Ross Lyon for Mark Harvey in changing Dockers coaches.....Big news for many who are AFL fans........We hope you will return to Holiday Inn and stay with us next time. with many thnaks and best for rest of 2011 Andrew.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed with my family for two nights in August. We got wonderful rooms, excellent service and would highly recommend the place. The location is such that it's and easy walk to some great restaurants and the city centre with a park across the road for walks or runs. We did not try the in house restaurant but it looked OK.

• Stayed August 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are delighted with you taking the time to review Holiday Inn Esplande. This has really helped our ranking. A mini competition exists with Holiday Inn Darwin next door to see who is ranked highest. Hopefully you have joined Priority Club Rewards and will gain points when you next stay at one of our hotels. Hopefully your children will become Holiday inn advocates at well!!!!!..........very best for the rest of 2011 and thank you for taking the time to write a review........with best Andrew.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

This was the first holiday my husband and I have had in over five years. We had two weeks in Darwin we thought we would spend the last week in a really nice place and it was. We were in room 503, the first night I was lucky to get two hours sleep the same for nights two and three. There was a constant squeaking noise and also a loud humming noise on and off all night. The next day I went to reception and said I was not sleeping well and was told we were right near the service lift and that we would be moved. Every time I went back to reception to find out what was happening, nobody knew, it was always a different person. I know I should have pressed the point but by then we only had one night to stay. I left feeling absolutely exhausted, looking forward to a good nights sleep at home.

Room Tip: Request a room well away from the lifts.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
i am so very sorry that we did not deliver a great nites sleep. Could i please ask for a second chance? i will try to contact you directly. Thank you for telling me about your stay. I look foreward to dicusing what we are doing about and i look foreward to apologising personally. with kind regards Andrew.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

Extremely spacious, well-appointed rooms in refurbished hotel opposite parkland, near buzzing Mitchell Street. Overlooking Arafura Sea, many rooms have ocean views. Huge infinity pool and lovely restaurant featuring Asian-fusion cuisine. Close to Darwin's excellent bus system. Friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
AndrewBayliss, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, August 29, 2011
The team are delighted that you have given us a great review. Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Our location between Mitchell street and the Esplanade is a major feature. If you return to Darwin please dont hesitate to contact us. I would recommend Kakadu as being a very special place in February and March Wishing you all the best for your next trip. Andrew.
The World
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

We were in Darwin for 3 nights and for 3 days we asked the hotel to do something about the air conditioning in our room (it was too cold), although the front desk staff was very keen to help, nothing got done. We could not turn the aircon off, we could not adjust it, it was not comfortable to sit in the room for any length of time and we woke up with headaches each morning from the cold blowing on our heads.
The rooms are in need of updating, especially the bathrooms (I've not seen a smaller shower cubicle with shower curtains in decades. The internet is not free in your room (you can get 20 minutes in the hotel lobby if you have a laptop).
The staff seem great, but the facilities are not. Not good enough for a 4 star property and too expensive to be uncomfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Reviewer, I do believe you!.Many come to Darwin and dont pack a jumper/jersey. It can go as low as 21 degrees in the evening and early morning. I do apologise that we did not fix the temperature of your room. If you have the time to review any other attractions that would be of great assistance to us all. Did you get to go to Kakadu ? On your next trip to the NT i would be more than happy to help you plan your trip. Wishing you all the best for the rest of 2011. Andrew
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

First off, there are two Holiday Inns next to each other on the Esplanade, making it confusing when directing business associates to your hotel. This one is the lower-rise hotel that seems to be part of a failed "entertainment complex." The rest of the complex is mostly empty commercial space, except for a very good and popular Asian restaurant.

The lobby is spacious and the rooms nice enough, although hotel layout makes many rooms far removed from the elevators. Also, the plantation shutters in the rooms may keep out the harsh sun and provide privacy from rooms in the adjoining wing, but they also make the rooms feel dark and claustrophobic. The old-fashioned tube-TV was a surprise, and while it was nice to have separate shower and tub in the bathroom, the shower provided no place to put the soap/shampoo and the flimsy curtain caused the room to get wet.

Worst of all, the queen bed was badly bowed from wear on the "telephone side." I was staying alone, so I moved to the less worn side, but it was still not very comfortable--and the quality of the bed is what I most judge a hotel on. (From here I stayed in a Rydges Hotel in Canberra and had one of the most comfortable hotel beds ever.) The breakfast buffet was over-priced and mediocre--cold eggs and dry pastries that seemed to be day-old, off-the-shelf from the supermarket.

It was also frustrating for me, as I was planning to work in my room, but could only access wireless internet from the lobby. My new MacBook Air does not accommodate an ethernet cable, and there was not a USB adaptor to be had in all of Darwin--I spent a whole day looking, and couldn't get one until I got to Canberra. Thus, I had to work in the lobby, where there was 20 min. free wireless before high per-minute rates kicked in.

On the positive side, the pool area is very nice, and there are accommodating exercise and laundry rooms. That said, it's all about the bed, and this hotel doesn't deliver.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Ingmar53
AndrewBayliss, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Esplanade Darwin, responded to this review, August 16, 2011
Dear Senior Contributor, I am very sorry i have missed such a basic item as replacing a bed.Hopefully you have had a safe trip home after such a long trip.
We will go out and replace the bed immediately. Thank you for writing the review. I did an audit of our beds last year. We could not agree more that the bed experience is absolutely critcial to the experience........................It was wonderfull to see you have returned to the NT after reviewing Yulara and Alice Springs in 2010 .I would have recommended the Crowne Plaza Alice Springs as the best resort offering in Alice Springs. Have you had a chance to go to Kakadu? If you would allow me to assist with you planning of a future trip to KAKADU that would be a great opportunity for us to acknowledge the thanks for the time spent doing a reviw on Holiday Inn Esplanade........You already have several helpfull comments from fellow travellers which is great recognition. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you return to DARWIN as i would be delighted to meet with you. Wishing you all th best for the rest of your travels in 2011. Andrew.

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels