“A wonderful coffee find in Darwin”
Review of Java Spice Cafe Emporium - CLOSED

Java Spice Cafe Emporium
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tropical experience Cafe unique in Darwin! Old-fashioned comfort food including Homestyle ham off the bone, English Style corned beef & roasted chickens, Slow cooked belly pork & home made Gluten Free cakes and treats (decadent!) in addition to die for real fresh homemade cakes. Rustic Gourmet Tasty cafe food.ILLY premium coffee. OPENING TIMES MONDAY TO WEDNESDAY 6.30am to 4pm. THURSDAY AND FRIDAY 6.30AM UNTIL 4.30PM SATURDAYS from 7.00am until 4.30PM SUNDAYS from 8am until 4PM Roving acoustic music and Weekend Food for an amazing different start to the weekend. Relax and enjoy. Java Spice Cafe Emporium is a unique cafe with stunning interiors, artwork and has a gallery as well as unique gifts from the Spice Islands. A true Darwin Tropical Experience not be missed. SPECIALISING IN HIGH TEAS, BABY SHOWERS, BRIDAL SHOWERS AND GIRLIE CATCH UPS..
Reviewed October 10, 2012

This new cafe is a wonderful addition to the Darwin coffee scene. The colourful and eclectic fit out provides lots of different spaces to sit in and relax whilst enjoying charming service, delicious home made cakes and some of the best coffee outside of Melbourne in the whole country! My children also gave top marks to the milk shakes . A must visit for any visitor to Darwin.

1  Thank Lillyfivi
Moonshadow88, Owner at Java Spice Cafe Emporium, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hello and thank you! Melbourne does have a great reputation for coffee and there are some amazing places to choose to go there. Very pleased you felt our cafe was up there! Milkshakes and iced drinks are a speciality (aside from the great coffee) and we do go to town a little with the old-fashioned touches - Parasols, peacock trims, fancy fruit straws etc. A cafe should be an experience no matter age or choice of drinks! My mother took me for my first grown up coffee in the Strand Arcade Sydney E.H. Harris and I never forgot the feeling of a special event in a special cafe. She is surely the one to blame for this cafe!! Thanks Mum a treasured memory always. So glad your children enjoyed their Tropical Cafe experience. Mx

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I visited this cafe a couple of times on my recent trip to Darwin. I only had coffee and it was very good I must say. The food looked lovely but I was only there for coffee so can't comment. Moya and the team try hard and succeed in making people feel welcome and at home which was very nice. I agree with the comments about personalised service. While only getting a takeaway coffee on my first visit, I sat and waited a couple of minutes while the coffee was made and was promptly brought a nice cold glass of water. On leaving I asked Moya directions to Smith Street mall and she walked out of the cafe to give my directions, very friendly and much appreciated. Moya greeted/treated customers as nicely as one you would when friends visit your home, very nice - well done.

Moonshadow88, Owner at Java Spice Cafe Emporium, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hello and I do remember you.. Our philosophy is truly as you have reviewed and thank you for mentioning it.. We do try to make people feel at home in the old-fashioned way and a few instructions to a visitor so they can see the most of our beautiful tropical and friendly city is surely not too much trouble. We are glad you found us too! And in the tropics we should drink not only coffee, tea and all the wonderful cafe lines, but lots of water. A take-away is as important to us as a guest who sits and stays. The coffee costs the same - so the service should be! Hope we see you again in the future. Kindest regards, Moya

Reviewed October 7, 2012

What a find in my dear old home town. Friends quickly whisked me off when I returned to Darwin for a visit and I was so impressed...everything from the decore, the chilled hand towels (so welcome on a hot Darwin day), the iced water and the relaxing music played at a reasonable level without drowning out conversation.
I went 3 times during my stay and was not disappointed once. The coffee was absolutely superb (dare I say, the best in Darwin) and the cakes (& toastie) were tasty. I recommend it all. Though I know once the word gets out the Java Bean may become impossible to get into, I recommend they look at doing breakfasts.
I will be back...

Dear Shayne, Thank you for your review.. Perth is famous for its cafes in Fremantle as well so very proud that we impressed you! And 3 times. Love to do full breakfasts too (although restricted by regulations as to the amount of cooking we can do) and we have had calls for dinner bookings but we want to make sure we have all the ducks in a row. We appreciate your time in writing to Trip Advisor.. It is a wonderful tool we use regularly to find out what is hot and what is not.. Regards, Moya and the team.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

Congratulations Peter on having the nicest café and best service in Australia - the gold standard that all others should aspire to.
Love the small but great quality menu, delicious toasties, divine cakes and pastries with the best coffee. Would have liked to stay longer to try everything!
Cool and relaxing space, beautifully decorated, lovely flowers, interesting art works and quirky furniture. Especially liked the nice touches, cold towels, chocolate coffee bean, regular water top ups without having to ask and a good range of newspapers and magazines.

1  Thank SalTom_10
Moonshadow88, Owner at Java Spice Cafe Emporium, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thanks Helen! Peter says thank you too! We seriously do like to please all the people all the time and we are proud and VERY pleased that you enjoyed your visit - and your food and coffee - at our tropical cafe retreat. I hope you are here closer to Christmas when we will have superb decorations and some Christmas treats along with the other embellishments. We call our end of Darwin the Paris End of Town so hope to see you in Paris shortly! Kindest Regards Moya Peter and Jag.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Unfortunately its a fact of life,, the service will suffer as an establisment gets busy. On speaking to the management of this Darwin cafe on my very first visit a month ago, I said on purly selfish terms I would not recomend this cafe to friends as I enjoyed the service and the food so much it was like being in Melbourn for 10 minutes and feared if I shared my delights the place would become far too busy and the service would suffer greatly. After much deliberation I stopped being so selfish and shared my excitement with friends and colegues unfortunately this led to a very embarresing situation! For weeks I had been talking up this establishment about the wonderful hand towles, the beautiful seating, wonderful china, gloriouose artwork and cool water on entry. My friends were buzzing with excitement on arrival but alas it was short lived. Java Spice was so busy we only had tin seats to sit on, no hand towels, and no cool water on arrival. After retreating with my tail between my legs. But like any addiction, I decided to give it another try the very next day. Today I walked in on my own trying to relive former glory moment. But yet again disapointment as my flat white was transformed into half a mug full of capucino froth. My toasty also had transformed into a pale vision of its former self with the soft fluffy loaf being substituted by a grainy cheaper version with fillings at half capacity..
I think the owners may be adjusting far too quickly to the Darwin way of life with its high prices, sloppy service and cheap food.
Well I am thankful I got to have al least 1 month of pure heaven before this place dove into the Darwin depression of take away and thonged slop.

1  Thank Dave S
Moonshadow88, Owner at Java Spice Cafe Emporium, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Dave, I appreciate your review because it does give us a chance to do what all good businesses should do - look at our business hard and the service we give. I am disappointed that after a couple of very good experiences you felt this way. It is a shame particularly because on the same day (Oct 4th) we had another review that was very positive. We always discuss all reviews with staff. Cold filtered complimentary water is standard and non-negotiable. All guests to the cafe receive this. We also have cold freshly laundered face towels complete with flower but on occasion we have run out and it seems that on this day on your visit this is what happened. Our "Tolix" metal chairs are designer and much loved by some. We have an eclectic mix of fabulous furniture - not your average cafe - but I am sorry you did not book your favourite upholstered chairs in advance - we would have reserved a space for you. We do accept bookings. Our Toasties come with a Money Back Guarantee - and our Barista was so concerned about your coffee comment he drank several ristrettos in a row to steady his hands! He was on duty that day and was horrified that your coffee was not to your liking. I have seen him throw coffee away if it was not PERFECT. If you had just let us know you would have had all replaced. Our fillings are not cheap, we use Barossa Ham off the bone, good quality cheese, hand cut thick bread, real butter and all sandwiches are made with love care & pepper and salt. I would ask you to revisit us!.. Sit down and enjoy your retreat. Please make yourself known to us (after if you prefer) Trust me we are here for the long term and our goal is to maintain being the best coffee and cafe style food in Darwin. No cheap short cuts for us! Kind regards, Moya