“Good spot” 4 of 5 bubbles

Description: The Fox +6189421866
Newcastle, Australia
“Good spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Excellent beers on tap here and great food which always makes for a nice night. Only a small place but good location on Mitchell street. Often live music so makes for a great atmosphere.

• Visited March 2014

Tunbridge Wells
“A place to rest a while”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

We visited this bar on several occasions as a final stop before retiring foor the night we also eat there twice. We liked the fact it was close to where we were staying and it seemed free of the backbackers crowding out the other bars in the street. The food was bar food and reasonably priced. The drinks range was limited, they ran out of my whisky, but that might say more about me than the bar. We were not there for any of the music nights so cannot comment but we did witness one rather rowdy brithday party that made me wonder what type of clientelle they attract late in the evening.

Visited May 2014
Morrinsville, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“After Dinner drinks”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

Relaxed after dinner with a few drinks listening to the music with family, great night out in Darwin

Visited June 2014
“Went for dinner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Food was not good I had bangers and mash and it was very salty and I kept waking up in the night to drink water I wouldnt go back there its always empty and the draft beer did not taste good so stick to bottled beer. A staff member (maybe the owner) was drinking outside with a very intermediating group of people so can see why no one was going in and going next door instead

Brisbane, Australia
“Wasn't that impressed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Well I had wanted to come here all week and decided tonight that I would stop in for dinner. It was relatively quiet and they were very accommodating with letting me choose mashed potato instead of chips with my mains.

I ordered the garlic prawns (entree size $13) as a starter and the grilled barramundi with mash instead of chips for my mains ($20)

The garlic prawns were surprisingly quite nice but admittedly I was extremely hungry so my judgement might have been skewed. The creamy sauce was tasty and the prawns were nicely cooked. There was a bit of a basic side salad with some sort of salad dressing on it but it tasted ok and I did eat most of what was on the plate. The main course was, however, a bit of a disappointment. I shouldn't complain about the mash, as the dish wasn't supposed to be served with mash, but it really wasn't very nice. The fish was only edible once I squeezed lemon juice over it and then poured every scrap of the tartar sauce on top as well. I am just not a Barra fan and it has to be a perfect fillet, cooked to perfection to really thrill me. And this one was only just barely passable. I left quite a lot on the plate.

I originally sat outside because it was quite pleasant out there but what wasn't pleasant was the smokers just on the other side of where the dining area was situated and their cigarette smoke wafting over when I was trying to eat, so I had to move indoors where it was not quite so pleasant with quite loud music

The verdict? Well I got the impression that this place is predominantly a "locals" bar and the food was just an after thought. It is basic stuff and definitely not fine dining. I don't think I would bother coming back.

• Visited April 2014