“Terrible room, service and food, don't stay here if you can avoid it.”

Frontier Hotel Darwin
Ranked #29 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 1.30am to check in only to be told they didn't have our booking. Luckily we had our email confirmation as proof. We were told they could fit us in for the night, but needed to find a room for they rest of our stay. Terrible service, we had confirmed twice and they still lost our booking. Room when we finally got there had mold on the ceiling, broken air conditioner and a broken toilet seat.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank KFoster2608

Reviewed June 24, 2013

On a recent trip to Darwin we stayed at this property. What a dive! Forget about its name "quality" because you won't find any here.
From the moment we checked in, it looked like a workers camp, with dirty rowdy men, congregating out the front of reception. After unpacking we went down to the bar for a drink, only to find it, noisy and full of workers. Not at all what you would expect in a Quality Hotel. I asked for a light beer and was informed they don't stock it, as they mainly cater to the workers staying in the Hotel. The pool area was full of workers and their stubbies. There wasn't anyway we could go and use the pool, without being watched and besides there weren't any chairs, as they had commandeered them all.
My overall thought on this property, forget about saving money, pay the extra and stay in a "QUALITY " hotel and don't waste your money here.

Room Tip: There aren't any, unless you are a worker.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank marymax92
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Food terrible, staff hopeless.

The "full continental breakfast" is wheatbix & cornflakes. Roof-top buffer cooked to death. Lifts out of action for weeks.

Was told could check out late on departure but on day of checkout refused.

Rooms musty.

Location: not really near anything.

Don't recommend this hotel at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank iftrav
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Rooms average and in dire need of attention , Lifts only worked some of the time . Be very careful of the poor lighting from the reception area down to the bottle shop they had a step that was not defined , if you have a complaint or an injury they don't bother to get back to you and the general attitude of management leaves a lot to be desired . The reception staff are very welcoming and polite unfortunately their efforts don't carry thru to the rest of the hotel (condition/ upkeep ) , I have since stayed a lot better accommodation in Darwin for a few dollars more

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank neverstill123
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I have often stayed in this hotel because I work in Darwin and frankly, the government allowance for travel does not cover the five star hotels which are very over- priced. However, I am quite fussy about hotels and I think that this one is clean and represents very good value. The room was quite large and bright. The air conditioner works and the bed is comfortable. I have never been woken by noise in the corridor and there are plenty of spaces to put suitcases and working documents. Sure the lobby is dinghy and the pool is not great and I would not recommend the hotel for a special holiday. However, as a place to spend a few hours at night it works.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank oliverAustralia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I arrived at about 1:30am. The lobby is dingy and depressing; the front desk is chipped and cracked, and the lobby aircon doesn't really work. And after a 10-minute search, the receptionist said he couldn't find any record of my booking (which I'd made through Booking.com).

Were it not for the fact that I knew that no other hotel had rooms for the four days I was staying, I would have called a taxi and headed off somewhere else.

After 20 minutes of faffing about, the receptionist managed to find me a room. Because of the booking mix-up, there were no standard rooms left, and I was upgraded to a one-bedroom suite.

I've seen complaints about the normal rooms being too small. From looking through a couple of doors, it looks like they are tiny. I think a stay in one of those rooms would have been quite depressing. But the one-bedroom suite was nice and big. It had a small kitchen, with a microwave (but no oven or hob). The aircon in the living room was broken and dripping, and open at the front, but they did at least change the towel that was catching the aircon drips most days. The bed was comfortable, but there were no windows in the bedroom. The TV had all local digital channels.

The rooftop restaurant was phenomenally expensive for what looked to be a pretty poor buffet. The one night that I ate at the hotel, it was in the bar at the basement. I only saw one fight while I was in the bar, and even that wasn't an especially big one.

Internet was reasonable value. When I was searching for a room, I saw something that suggested that it was A$ 6 per hour. This is misleading. It's one of those pre-paid deals, and it's A$ 1 for 10 minutes, but it's A$ 40 for a week (with a 1.2GB download limit), which is not terrible.

I would be intrigued to hear from people who stayed later than May 21 whether they ever cleared away the dead frog by the pool gate. It was pretty much a hotel fixture by the time I left.

It's only a 10-minute walk to the CBD, so that's good.

Room Tip: Try and get an upgrade, or pay for a 1-bed suite. Standard rooms are very small.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2013

we stayed 17-18-19 May, sorry we did and paid in advance.
this should be titled a workman's accommodation house, as few holiday guests and lots of trades people occupying the hotel.
Dining room on roof top, via stairs, was basic buffet and expensive.
room we had was on ground floor adjacent lifts, which one could hear all night!
room servicing crew wanted access at 8 am, including checkout at 10 am day!.
very tired and well used rooms, bed was the best thing in the room.
reception wanted total payment for the stay until we produced a receipt for prepayment at time of booking!
either staff were not trained or inefficient.
would not stay again

Room Tip: pool looked like it was neglected, as was the surrounding area.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple