“Not as bad as other reviews, but not great”

Frontier Hotel Darwin
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
“Not as bad as other reviews, but not great”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed here for two nights last week, Thursday and Friday. After reading the bad reviews on here we were braced for a poor experience. We checked in early which thankfully wasn't a problem but were given the room closest to reception. We were worried but thought we'd take our chances. The room itself was much better than others have described; clean, spacious, air-conditioned and no issues found. The first night was okay, and had this review been based on just this night it would be much better.

When heading out on our second day we asked the front desk staff (a young woman) some simple questions about how to get around the city and to the WWII military museum in East Point. She couldn't even locate the hotel we were staying in on the map and had no idea how to get to East Point. We decided to just get a cab. After a long day out in Darwin, we were kept up from 3 am onward from door slamming from other guests and vacuuming from housekeeping (around 6:30/7 am on Saturday). This really took down our experience. The hotel is attached to a pub/bottle shop which is convenient but has its drawbacks at night. The pool was nice and clean, open until 10 pm. Convenient location, 10 minute walk to city center.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The company I work for puts me up here for a few nights, twice a year. As I am not the one who pays for it I really shouldn't complain. I have stayed here at least 6 times in the past few years. Every stay has had an issue of some form, from getting woken up with drunks coming in, fire alarms going off or faulty elevators. My last and most recent visit (March 2013) the a/c rattled all night. Staff were helpful in relocating me to another room, which had a strong chemical smell about it. I found the upstairs eatery to be over priced and the 'Punters Bar' to be ok if you just want a pub meal. It filled me up but wasn't anything to rave about. The entire place is need of some TLC and would welcome a make over. If I was paying for it, I wouldn't stay here. Not sure who gave them the 4 star rating, but I would have thought a 3 star rating would be generous.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John992

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I am sitting here in my room now thinking how not to be to critical of this hotel, Let me expand on my Dillema. The Hotel is Very Very Tired, Everything you can think of needs upgrading and fixing, Tiles around the swimming pool just waiting to rip your feet open,Doors were the paint is peeled and the wood is rotting, but on the other hand a bed that i thought would be murder on my back but which turned out to be the best nights sleep i have had away from home and the rooms relatively clean.I found the staff helpful and courteous, But not the restaruant, supposed to be open at 6am but was clearly not ready even after having to bang on the door for several mins ( Did't want to miss the pick up for the Jumping Crocodile tour) then the Breakfast was swimming in grease, both my wife and i felt uneasy for hours after, and we ate very little. It's getting harder to book a hotel in Darwin because of all the workers who are flying in for the many projects on the go, and this is how i got caught out, it was the only one available for the time i needed. Don't write it off for a short stay, but if your after the finer creature comforts this is not the place for you. No way 4 star how its rated.

Room Tip: Can't do
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

We got a airport shuttle to the hotel at 1:30am check in went smooth. We went to our room which the hallways are very dark. We opened the door and my 3 year old could smell the same disgusting cigarette smell I could. There are no windows to open just air con and its a non smoking room but smelt like smoke. Beds were good and comfy. I made a coffee and tipped it straight out, the kettle was dirty and the filter in the kettle was brown like it has been used for smoking. Overall I would probably spend more money and stay somewhere more nicer as I think this place is more a mining company accommodation.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank smrhennessy
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel was chosen because it was close to Avis, from where we were to rent a car for a few days' exploration of Kakadu. It was convenient also because it was close to the road out of Darwin. We stayed here twice and had two quite different rooms. One was high up and very basic, the other (a "cabana") was larger, nicer, on the ground floor next to the pool. Buffet breakfast was also basic. We were about 10 minutes' walk from the main restaurant/bar street and a bit further from the coast. Receptionists were mostly a bit indifferent to our presence! with the exception of the nice man who checked us in on our arrival at 5am. We were allowed to leave our luggage while we sorted out the car, which was useful. No free wi-fi, as in almost every one of the many hotels we stayed in during 7 weeks in Australia.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reservoir, Australia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The rooms were cleaned daily, including fresh linen, the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to attend to any queries I made. I especially commend Tina on reception during business hours who went out of her way to help me with my lost baggage and would inquire how we were daily. We stayed there for two weeks and found the pool, the roof top restaurant, the bar and the bottle shop staff very good and helpful. All the meals we had there were very good. The walk into town only took around 20 minutes even though I need a knee replacement, the walk wasn't too bad. There are buses but it is just as easy to walk. The only thing I would change is the state of the barbecue which looked like it had never been cleaned. All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Stayed here as stop over, the room was fair but could have had a bit of mait and tidy up done to them.
Went for breakfeast and paided for full breakfeast, this was at 8.30 and breakeast finishes at 9.00 am it was obvious that some hot breakfeast items on the buffet had run out and was not going to be replaced unless you asked for them, the staff was bored with one chewing gum while she worked. You do not get what you pay for in this place give it a miss unless you are only looking for a bed for the night.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends