“Melaleuca Madness”

Ranked #34 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
HOME
“Melaleuca Madness”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2008

This hotel was terrible. To begin, our reservation for a twin room was not honoured even though it was confirmed on line. Instead, we got a dorm room #2 near the busy lobby area. Despite our complaints, staff did NOTHING to try to help us obtain a more quiet room.

The CONSTANT 24 hour noise (music, pool party atmosphere, loud drunken youth, automatic doors that slam shut) resulted in 3 completely sleepless nights. Management should examine some of the processes in place and re-establish a setting that is more pleasant for customers. Why the card-swipe access doors (that slam shut) throughout? Why not post signs reminding guest to be quiet and respect other guest? Why not encourage staff to remind guests to be quiet? Front desk staff were passive and actively participating in the noise at night!

Over and over again, we discussed issues with the front desk. The staff were participating in the loud shouting / conversations themselves and as I witnessed, they put forward no effort to quiet the obnoxious youth who make up the bulk of the clientele.

I would never recommend this hotel. It is complete madness.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — NOISE and uncaring staff
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
MOMDARWIN, General Manager at Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell, responded to this review, February 15, 2009
Melaleuca on Mitchell is a backpackers hostel situated in the hub of the CBD. The room that you were put in is a private room with ensuite which sleeps 1-4 people. This gives us the flexibility to cater for different groups of people that stay with us, ie single, twin or quad rooms. We promote ourselves as a backpackers hostel and not a hotel.

August is a very busy time of year as it is Darwin Cup, our biggest race carnival for the year.

We will always try and move a guests if we have another room available on the night. We do have a security firm which does regular checks every half hour during the night.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us next time you are in Darwin just pop us a line and we can recommend accommodation in a hotel not a backpackers hostel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2008

I had a really good time at Melaleuca on Mitchell in Darwin. As a single female travelling it was great. They had fermale only dorms, I was in a 6 bed dorm with air conditioning and lockers to store my backpack in. The hostel was clean, the kitchen does get messy but it is the backpackers who are not doing their dishes.

The reception staff were really nice and informative, they booked my trip to Kakadu and gave me a number of options. They told me what other things there were to do in Darwin. I went down the street to Crocosaurus Cove and I saw two people doing the cage of death rather them then me! The fish feeding is also cool, the fish swam around my feet in the water.

Steve at the Bar was awesome he introduced me to some other gals and guys. We also went to The Tap, The Vic, and Kitty's. Darwin has a grat nightlife and I would recommend Melaleuca, all the Bar's and Darwin to anyone travelling in Australia

• Liked — Location and friendly
  • Disliked — Some other people are noisy
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2008

What can I say Melaleuca is the only place for an amazing stay in Darwin. If you're not a backpacker don't stay here. There is a reasonable hotel next door. The is one of the best hostels in Australia and every backpacker should try make it to the top end. Spent a lot of time in Melaleuca on and off for bout 4 months. The dorms were great with air con all night. Girlies opt for an all girls floor which makes such a difference being able to walk from the bathroom to your room wrapped in a towel. Believe me trying to get dressed in an un-air-conditioned bathroom in Darwin heat is not funny! Pool deck is amazing for brekkie and just chilling. You can watch all the goings on on them main street and you have your kitchen right there to cook what you need. Great big lockers in the dorms and nice bed bug free mattresses thanks to the protectors. 24hour coles right across the road. The Vic around the corner with Shennanigans the Lost Arc and Discovery right across the street. By far the most chilled out place in Australia. Sunshine everyday who wouldn't want to live here????

• Liked — The poolside scene
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
East Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2008

Found this hostel to be really overpriced but I think it might just be Darwin in general. Location was very good though.
Stayed in a 6 bed dorm which was a quite small room, really nowhere to move or unpack when fully occupied, the room had air con & a fan + lockers. A friend stayed in a 4 bed dorm which was much more spacious.
The showers/toilets on my floor were being cleaned at 9am (when most people want to use them as checkout is 10am) so had to go to another floor. I would recommend an ensuite room if available but the main toilets weren't too bad.
Only thing that I really liked about the Melaleuca is that I could do my laundry 24hours as all the machines were out on the balcony.

My tip to operate the lift (as hardly anyone knew how) is to swipe your card then 'hold' the floor button until it beeps.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Small dorms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2008

We stayed in an air-conditioned ensuite room in Melaleuca on Mitchell and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be in the centre of the action - really near some great bars, restaurants and icecream cafes. Their website is easy to use and book; the desk staff were friendly; it was really close to where our Kakadu tour left; and they have large lockers you can leave your bags in. I can't comment on the other facilities like the pool or kitchens 'cos we weren't there long enough to use them.

• Liked — =
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with friends
Kent, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2008

We moved from Frogshollow to come here and found this sooooo much better. We had a double with en suite and we couldn't of been happier with the room. It was clean and a good size with a tv and fans. We were right at the end of the corridor on the ground floor so we did here some noise but it didn't bother me too much. There's a big open roof area where the kitchen is, which was ok, could of been cleaner but it wasn't the worst we've seen. The only thing that bothered me was that i found everyone slightly intimidating. The staff were ok, but i mainly only saw the ones on reception.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — intimidating people
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
darwin, australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2008

From reading the reviews I thought that this hostel would be a nice one to pick. I was wrong!!.

The rooms were a little cramped, the power plugs in the room did not work in the evenings, but were working during the day. The air con wasnt that good in the room.

The kitchen had very limited cooking utensils and what there was was of poor quality (saucepans with no handles).
There was no tv common room to keep you occupied.

The staff were very helpful, but let down by the actual hostel.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled solo