“Darwin is great, Melaleuca is not”

Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell
Ranked #35 of 48 Specialty Lodging in Darwin
Darmstadt, Germany
“Darwin is great, Melaleuca is not”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Almost at the end of or trip throgh Australia, we landed in this hostel. This is more of a party hostel. If partying through the night is what you are looking for, then this is your place to be. We would have appreciated at least one night of sleep (before 2 a.m.) though. And waking up to the sound of people running around drunk on your floor and banging against doors is not what I call an enjoyable stay. However, while this is probably a matter of tast, attitude or age, Hygiene is not. The place is DIRTY!! in every sense of the word. While the housekeeping staff does a good job cleaning the rooms (thank you again for that!) The shared bathrooms are simply nauseating. Vomit in the sinks (I should have taken photos) with an ant highway running right through. Dirty toilets and showers. To be fair: It is the high season, but this is not possible for a hostel that came so highly recommended to us. I don't like to give bad comments and I hate reading some comments that are utterly unfair, but this hygienic situation ist NOT acceptable. You do have great facilities, but you let them go to waste.
Thank you again for your great and friendly staff at the reception.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michi1310

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This is not a typical backpackers hostel but more of a party hostel. It is located on Mitchell street and there is a bar on the roof. There is no noise troubles in the hostel though.
The wifi is really bad and very expensive; 4 dollars per day.
We did not get the room we booked but the room we did get was clean. The batrooms and toilets are separeted and fairly clean.

• Stayed July 2013
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed here for three nights in July with one of my friends and had an absolute ball. The hostel is right in the centre of Darwin's party district and is surrounded by cafes, restaurants, shopping centres and transport. The room's are good for the price you pay and there are heaps of cool facilities, including the massive deck, which is great for meeting new people! The only downside - and this is just me being picky - was that our aircon didn't work, our room key stuffed up a few times (but the staff promptly fixed it for us) and that it doesn't really quiet down outside until midnight, which is a bit of a bummer when you need to be up for an early tour. But apart from that, kudos to Melaleuca!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
VINNDarwin, General Manager at Darwin YHA- Melaleuca on Mitchell, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Hannah K,

Thank you for our review of Melaleuca on Mitchell.

We are please that your overall experience of the hostel was good and that you enjoyed the Leisure deck and the staff were friendly.

I have noted down a couple of the issues that you have mentioned and we will get our maintenance team to look at these issues.

We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in Darwin.

Leics
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I was here for just about the shortest time possible, arriving from Port Hedland on a flight and getting into town at 11.20pm. I left on a tour at 6.50 the following morning.
I was almost broke when I arrived (room was prepaid) because my prepay credit card had not been credited. I had 4 dollars to my name when I walked in the door but the check-in staff waived the deposits for both laundry and room-key. They also ensured that the security staff didn't lock the laundry until later on so that I could get my washing done before heading out to Kakadu.
They allowed me to leave my bag with them free-of-charge, while I was away on my tour and, when I arrived back 3 days later to collect it, I was also able to use their laundry facilities again as well as taking a shower.
The Pool Deck is a nice space with a bar, plenty of seating and access to the kitchen facilities, which were huge and well-stocked. I was able to chill out here whilst waiting for my laundry to dry and then repack my bags.
The room I slept in was noisy (air-con unit, slammy door, squeaky beds) but nothing that a pair of earplugs won't take care of. Darwin is a bit of a noisy place anyway with loads of Brits out getting smashed every night...if you want peace and quiet, you'd be better off in a hotel off the main drag...or better still, heading to Kakadu! :-)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hi Divin Faces,

Thank you for your review of Melaleuca on Mitchell. We are pleased that our staff provided great customer service during your stay at our hostel. We hope that you enjoyed your tour and we look forwarding to seeing you the next time you are in town.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 25, 2013

It can be noisy because of the lock on the door so bring ear plugs along.

For me it was clean and tidy as I stayed in a private room, the bathroom is clean with a lot of toilets and showers.

The bar is cheap, always people around and the pool is really nice.

Hi Emma J,

Thank you for your review of Melaleuca on Mitchell, Darwin. It is pleasing to read that you enjoyed your stay in a double room with ensuite and the Leisure Deck area on the First Floor. It is a great place to relax and make new friends.

Take Care
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

nice clean hostel. typical hostel set up, large kitchen and laundry area.
is in a really good spot on Mitchell street, close to everything.
pool was always clean and has two sections so is a good size.
staff were very friendly and helpful.
stay on all girls floor and was very happy with it, bathrooms were nice and clean, never had to wait for a shower.
the music is load on a Saturday night, but we were that tired from our tour of Litchfield that day that we just slept through it.
also the doors slam when they lock, so this may wake some people up if you are a light sleeper, however this didn't bother us at all.
over all we were very happy with out stay, was excellent value for money.

Hi Steph P,

Thank you for your review of Melaleuca on Mitchell. Its great to read you were very happy with your stay at the hostel and in a female dorm. We look forward to seeing you again when you decide if you decide to come to tropical Darwin during Melbourne's winter.

Regards
saskatchewan
Reviewed July 4, 2013

It sucks that check-in is so late but they do let you store your bags until your room is ready. All rooms have a/c which is nice and coin operated washing machine and dryers. The second floor has a nice pool, bar and lounge area plus the hostel itself is located in a good spot, close to everything a backpacker could want!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nicole1286
Hi nicole1286,

Thank you for your review of Melaleuca on Mitchell, Darwin. Our check in time is at 2pm and our check out time is at 10am. This gives us time to get the rooms cleaned and organised for our new guests. If the room is not ready when you arrive we always offer to store your luggage and are happy for you to go upstairs have a shower or chill out by the pool.

Happy travels and we hope you are having a great trip to Australai

Regards