“Deluxe Ocean View Room”

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
“Deluxe Ocean View Room”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

They advertise on their website "Darwin's premium five star boutique hotel". The room we had was clean, comfortable, but typical of a hotel or motel room, not what we would have classed 5 star but had a 5 star price. But the whole Casino/Hotel complex is nice, lovely gardens, friendly and helpful staff. We never dined in any of the restaurants but did have some drinks and a meal in the Sandbar which is very nice overlooking the ocean. The Hotel is within walking distance to the Mindil Markets and there are some lovely beachside walks and the Botanic Gardens close by. Cullen Bay is only five minutes away by car and has some good cafes and restaurants. When we come up to Darwin again we would more than likely stay in the city within walking distance to the attractions there. But we did enjoy our stay at Skycity Hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in an Ocean View Room, the balconies are very small, the Lagoon Rooms looked the best bet...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Indonesian first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 27, 2014

I was very disappointed in Skycity Darwin Hotel. After booking a 'Sea View' Room which cost more than the regular, we were given one which should have been described as a 'Sea Glimpse' room. I always check to see if mattress overlays, pillows etc are clean and was horrified to find blood spots on our mattress overlay. YUK! The toiletries were meagre. The only plus to this hotel is the pool which was really magnificent. This is DEFINITELY not a 5 star hotel. I would never go there again. Very poor value.

Room Tip: Do not go there - not worth the money
1 Thank Anna C
Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Room smelt mouldy. A/C leaked water over tiles making slippery. Told staff 2 days running, sent a mop! Told it was because the A/C was turned off during the night. Left on 2nd night, was worse and froze to death. $33 for continental breakfast to the room. Would expect a few biscuits for a 5star and paying $309 per night. Would never go back and would not recommend. Wish we had of read hotel reviews first.

Room Tip: May be the attached Resort might be better
6 Thank Susan L

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Darwin
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Recently had a mani/pedi at a cost of $150. The $5 mani/pedi I get in Bali is ten times better than this one. I expected a lot more for the price and being part of a 5 star hotel. I don't get the décor either. Where is the tropical/lagoon feel about it all?

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank DarwinGirl1973
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

After quite a bit of research, I decided that my family (hubby, Master 11 and Miss 7) should stay at Sky City - in particular in a ground floor lagoon room. It was a little difficult to book the accommodation at first. I went through Flight Centre and they were told there were no lagoon rooms available at the time I was wanting to travel. However, when I contacted Sky City directly they had availability. So I had to book my flights and hire car with Flight Centre, and the accommodation direct. No big deal though.

Upon arrival, we were greeted pleasantly and offered golf-buggy transport to our room which we gladly accepted. The down stairs lagoon room was lovely and had beautiful finishings (especially the bathroom!). My only criticism of the rooms would be that they do not really cater for families. Our room consisted of two queen sized beds, so I had to sleep with my daughter while my hubby slept with our son. It would have been great if there was a room with a queen and two singles.

It was certainly worth spending the extra $$ to have the swim up lagoon pool access - my kids absolutely loved it! We could all get up in the morning and hubby and I would sit outside on the very comfy day bed sipping tea while the kids were splashing around in the pool. If you can afford it, go for the ground floor rooms!

Now for the gripe.... Sunset Bistro - well, what can I say other than 'Blah!'. As we arrived late on our first night, we headed there after dropping our luggage into our room. I have eaten around quite a bit at many bistros and buffets. I was expecting a buffet similar to Star City Casino in Sydney but I was very disappointed. The selection was minimal - actually, I would even say it was totally sparse. It was also very difficult to get a drink.

The next morning, we thought we would try our luck and head to Sunset for breakfast. This was something that we did often during our 9 night stay purely for convenience. We would often be heading out on a tour and wanted to grab a quick breakkie beforehand so it was easy just to take the kids there.

First breakfast problem we had was that every time I was charged something different. From $70 something dollars to $28 dollars - all for the same thing (two adults, two children). Some staff would tell me that kids ate free, others said they didn't but were half price, and others said no, they are the same. So this was always a morning challenge.

Now if you like variety, do not go there for breakfast. In the 10 days we were at Sky City, the breakfast was the same EVERY morning. Not even once slight point of difference. So we ended up a bit bored with the offerings. I guess if the offerings were great we wouldn't mind, but they were very average for a breakfast. My tip would be to head somewhere else for breakfast if you can.

Enough about Sunset... The Italian Restaurant was lovely, highly rate it. Room service was very expensive and didn't really offer much.

We found the Concierge's to be really helpful - especially Michael. They would always return calls when promised, and were happy to help.

Room service - sometimes was good, sometimes not. Quite often we would head out from morning until early afternoon. Hoping to come back to a clean room and ready to relax. Unfortunately, I guess as we were staying several nights our room was often cleaned last. So sometimes it would not be cleaned until 4pm ish which was a bit of a pain as we wanted to just chill on our beds for a while. Also, the bathroom products would sometimes be replaced, and sometimes not. The Endota products were absolutely amazing by the way!

All in all, it was a great place to stay. Whilst I didn't see the actual hotel rooms they did look a bit tired from the outside. But like I said, the lagoon rooms were superb! Some of the staff had issues (the team leader in at Sunset at breakfast and the manager at Cove) and often were not all that friendly. But others (such as in the Italian restaurant) were happy to accommodate a tired, casually dressed worn out family at short notice.

We met some lovely people at the lagoon pool and made some friends. It was just a nice place to chill out and relax or to use as a base to sight see (as we did). We hired a car and only had to pay a on-off fee of $15 for a parking card for our entire stay. I would recommend doing this as it was really convenient for us.

One other thing.... on the weekends head to Cullen Bay for breakfast. There is a Chinese Restaurant at the marina which has a buffet breakfast on Saturday's and Sundays. Fantastic value, drinks are included and yummy food. We did this on both of the Saturday's that we were there.

Room Tip: If you can afford it - stay in a ground floor Lagoon Room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Adelaide T
Gold Coast
Reviewed May 5, 2014

At the beginning of our trip to Kakadu ,Pine Creek ,Katherine and Leichfield National Park we stayed two nights at the Sky City Hotel, very good.
Excellent beds, great rooms, great service and a variety of venues to dine all of which are excellent.
After our trip around we stayed an other three nights at Sky City while we took in the sites of Darwin.
I would recommend Sky City Hotel on Fanny Bay any time , great sunsets.

Room Tip: Get a Fanny Bay view room as the sunsets are magnificent.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
nantes
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am not sure why all the bad reviews about the hotel - it's true that the buffet restaurant doesn't do gourmet food but come on, it's $20, what do you expect?

Anyway, I stayed there for my wedding and my family did too and we all had a very enjoyable stay. We had a Superior spa ocean view room which was great - super comfy bed, good TV, big bathroom with a spa, a large balcony with a table in front of Mindil beach, they provided sleepers and robe too which I enjoyed! We ordered some room service, the food wasn't amazing but the service was very quick and the staff was polite.

The lagoon with the bar is amazing, the swimming pool is large and you can see the beautiful sunset from Sandbar, and the spa is really great too!!

The hotel was clean, the rooms done everyday and I had everything I asked for (ice buckets etc). I miss Skycity!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple