“Sky City Hotel Casino” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #17 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
Gold Coast
“Sky City Hotel Casino”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2014

At the beginning of our trip to Kakadu ,Pine Creek ,Katherine and Leichfield National Park we stayed two nights at the Sky City Hotel, very good.
Excellent beds, great rooms, great service and a variety of venues to dine all of which are excellent.
After our trip around we stayed an other three nights at Sky City while we took in the sites of Darwin.
I would recommend Sky City Hotel on Fanny Bay any time , great sunsets.

Room Tip: Get a Fanny Bay view room as the sunsets are magnificent.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Indonesian first
nantes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2014

I am not sure why all the bad reviews about the hotel - it's true that the buffet restaurant doesn't do gourmet food but come on, it's $20, what do you expect?

Anyway, I stayed there for my wedding and my family did too and we all had a very enjoyable stay. We had a Superior spa ocean view room which was great - super comfy bed, good TV, big bathroom with a spa, a large balcony with a table in front of Mindil beach, they provided sleepers and robe too which I enjoyed! We ordered some room service, the food wasn't amazing but the service was very quick and the staff was polite.

The lagoon with the bar is amazing, the swimming pool is large and you can see the beautiful sunset from Sandbar, and the spa is really great too!!

The hotel was clean, the rooms done everyday and I had everything I asked for (ice buckets etc). I miss Skycity!!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank pauline l
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

Absolutely stunning place to stay. We arrived in Darwin at 6am and went to drop our bags at the desk. Told our room was all ready to go and we were able to check in there and then. The rooms are magnificent. Must have ground floor lagoon room. Well worth the extra money. Swim from your own deck. Will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the Lagoon room.
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I'm on the notorious QF 829 at 1.45am and those the hotel specifically for the amenities during the (long) day. And I haven't been disappointed. The room was good, internet reliable, and the staff very accommodating allowing me to use the very pleasant poolside facilities and showers. The place looks great for families, many of which we're having a great time. But, this is a casino. And the casino employs goons. Goons who can't tell the difference between a "backpack" (i.e. as used by people on a round the world trip) and a small shoulder bag with shoulder straps now containing an iPad and, for what it's worth, wet swimming trunks which is collectively the same size as a woman's handbag. Handbags are fine, because women carry them. Or something. It employs goons preventing me from spending more money at the better restaurant on the other side of the casino, at which I'd hoped to be able to read the news and my book to while away the hours, and possibly sit down and gamble - forgive me, perhaps the point of the place. Goons who, unless you really want to come to the casino, make me wish I'd gone to the Hilton. For what little it's worth, I have been to Las Vegas many times and have never had occasion to find their obvious need for security to be intrusive. Reading other reviews, the common thread seems to be that the SkyCity is nice until you cross a "policy", at which point theory become awkward. Here's my policy: go somewhere that requires all its staff to remember that guests pay the bills, not "policies." Such a pity: it was lovely during the day.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Alex J
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

Booked a table, arrived and shown to a table at the entrance of the restaurant where everyone lined up and walked past. I asked to be moved and we were moved 2 tables over (even though other tables were available). The quality of the food was terrible. The range of food available was very very limited. The desserts were horrible. It was one of the worst buffets I've ever had the displeasure to eat from. Go to Maccas - even that is better than what's on offer at this Buffett. Truly unremarkable!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Louise M

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here at the end of our holiday, a great hotel to chill out. A little it out of town, but not too far, if you feel like a stroll.
One of the best hotel/resort pools I've been in.
We Stayed in the lagoon suites.
The rooms are spacious, and well presented with excellent ensuites.
I will definitely be staying here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2014

When I booked, I had not realised that my room would be in the old section of the Casino. Honestly, when I checked in, the room smell was so unpleasant, I had to leave. I paid an extra 150 dollars a night to stay in new wing. The room was very pleasant and the lagoon pool was stunning. I thought though, that, as it was the low season, the receptionist could have checked me into a room with direct access to the water, rather than a top floor room where it was a walk to the pool. This would have made my 5 day visit much more enjoyable and it felt mean since it was clear that most rooms were empty. Another downside was the long walk to the car park or reception area, especially in the heat. I probably would not stay again for the price.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business