“A so so experience”
Review of Skycity Darwin

Skycity Darwin
Ranked #14 of 35 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed at Skycity Darwin after Christmas party that held there. Checked in was a breeze and staff was polite. We booked for Deluxe Ocean View, got it on the first floor and located on the furthest building from the beach so it's not ocean view since it was blocked by trees and it was far from the beach view anyway.
Room was not too bad since it have a big space. Didn't get the bathtub or spa in the bathroom, thought it would be nicer than just usual superior room. When i had a shower ad wanted to wash my hair i just realized there weren't any shampoo or conditioner and also toothbrush. Asked my husband to ask for toiletries and they send it quickly to our room.
Bed was quite comfy but my pillow was hard and didn't have a good sleep tried to changed pillow but all just hard.
Had food for room service and the food were great and yummy.
Overall.. For 5 star hotel, it doesn't feel like it..

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear gimmiegimmies,

Thanks for the review. Sorry about the lack of toiletries in your room but am glad we were able to rectify the situation for you quickly. I will speak to our Housekeeping team to make sure that we keep an eye on restocking our amenities and make sure that the pillow menu is on clear view.

It’s great to hear you found the room service food to be delicious and the room to be a good size though. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I stayed at Sky City with my family in mid December and was really impressed by the hotel. We stayed in a spa room in the older part of the hotel and it was lovely; the bathroom was clean and well fitted out, the beds were comfortable and our patio area peaceful. Both pools were fantastic and a great place to unwind. We ate at Sunset restaurant for breakfast which wad adequate for a buffet and IlPiatto for dinner which was very impressive. Overall I would recommend Ski City to anyone looking for a peaceful hotel with great pools to relax in .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear carlyw5,

Thanks for the review. The pools are amazing here, the infinity edge pool is a perfect vantage point to watch the sunset over a glass of wine and the lagoon pool is great for sipping on a cocktail on the man-made beach.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

Booked 3 rooms for our family of five. From our initial enquiry to check out, we were super impressed with staff. I felt bad that there was a snobby middle aged blonde woman giving the staff grief over check in. She was totally rude and disrespectful. Kudos to the staff for just smiling and taking it, they don't make the rules lady! Anyway, the rooms were beautiful, sparkling clean. Had some great meals and a swim in the gorgeous, huge lagoon pool. Will definitely be rebooking on our return from Bali at the end of January.Thanks Skycity, much appreciated!

Room Tip: We stayed in rooms 102, 103 and 104 and thought they were well located and perfectly appointed :)
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear WestonFam,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. It’s great to hear you were so impressed with the service you received from our staff, I will be sure to let them know.

It certainly sounds like you were able to take advantage of some of our many restaurants and beautiful Lagoon Pool.

We look forward to welcoming you back in January!

Reviewed December 21, 2013

We stayed in a superior king lagoon room. Fantastic layout. Huge room with lovely balcony and private deck where you have a ladder directly into the lagoon pool. Really pleasant for a champagne or wine and most other guests were enjoying the experience BUT we had a room full of yobos next to us. Friday night they were noisy for a while but Saturday night they started at 2pm until 11pm. About 20 people partying. Drunken, raucous behaviour and foul language. Flicking bottle tops into the pool and onto our deck. Drinking out of glass bottles in the pool. Security didn't check and so we all just had to put up with it! Also, the rooms aren't sound proof. You can hear doors banging and people knocking on the door next door and loud conversation. The bathroom door has an automatic closer so it keeps slamming shut. It's a heavy door and you have to push on it hard to get in to have it shut behind you. Very annoying when you are getting ready and want to walk in and out of the bathroom. The door too heavy to prop open. They should take the auto closer off. You can hear other rooms doors slamming shut too. What was intended to be a lovely weekend away, and certainly could have been at such a nice resort, was totally spoilt! We won't be back!

Room Tip: Definitely stay in a lagoon superior room with direct access to lagoon. Ask if you can be away from...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wendy V

Dear Wendy V,

Thanks for the feedback regarding the bathroom door closer; we will have our maintenance team wind it down. We have a strict no party policy here, 1 strike and you`re out; sorry that your neighbors did not adhere to this, if we had have known we would have sent our Security straight over. Hopefully we can welcome you back so you can enjoy that drink in the tranquility of the surrounds that the lagoon offers.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights at the start of December.

Nice modern clean room, good quick check in and out, staff were very friendly and helpful. I was woken at 4am by a massive storm that shook the room and then the power went out but that's not the fault of the hotel.

Lovely place to stay. Recommended.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to get a sea view...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jon M,

Thanks for the great review. The storms are amazing this time of year and certainly pack a punch!

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

So, flew in today at 4.30am form overseas having booked, and already advising that I would appreciate any assistance getting one of the early check out rooms on the day given I had flown internationally into Darwin overnight.

Arrived, and no record of any such request at reception, and staff had zero interest in assisting

"Call back at 11.30am and see if a room is free" said the night staff … who clearly were looking fwd to nthg else but being out of there post sun up.

I call at 11.30am…no one has any idea i'm even here let alone any request.

I ask then can someone call me on my mobile when my room is ready, which "should be by 2pm" from what they then said.

2.30pm I call, and ask why no one has called…no one wants to acknowledge I exist or has any apparent knowledge I am here.

Get into my room at 2.50pm…powerpoint configuration in the room wont allow me to plug in some devices, and a new USB charger I just bought failed on first use.

I asked reception do they have another USB charger for IPAD/Iphone/anything as Im here for 4 days traveling throughout the outback and desperately need to recharge these devices tonight before departure.

No, none, zero.

I asked if other customers have ever asked prior to this point if the hotel stocks spare loan USB power chargers (which is pretty normal for any credible hotel in my experience) and was told…" oh yes they ask, we just don't offer/carry them"!!! ?

Max finally arrives in my room and hands me an intl power adaptor with no USB outlet, but at least he is pleasant, and I tell him I don't care what it costs just see if he can get a porter or someone to buy me a USB in wall charger.

He comes back and says cant do. I plead with him that I cant believe someone, anyone, in back office, accounts, HR, someone in the hotel staff dept must have a USB charger plugged into a wall next to their desk, and all I want to do is rent it for a few hours?

He smiles and says he will see what he can do.

I ring housekeeping and ask can I get some pressing done as I am now late for a meeting …"No its Sunday, we send all laundry out of the hotel and no one does laundry on a Sunday … this is Darwin" (Which I gather means no one give a [--] on a Sunday).

At 3.30pm I get a call from Jackie in housekeeping…I tell her my whole story and why I am slightly peeved to this point with my stay in SkyCity's "5 star" resort.

10 mins later she phones back to say she has found a USB charger, and the IT man is sending it up to me

Well its not 3.45pm, and I am tied, laundry-less, and powerless (in more ways than one), and still dont have a USB charger

If you come to SkyCity don't expect '3' star service, and don't EVER arrive on a Sunday! … it appears only when you try and get your $350per/night money's worth will anyone even acknowledge you.

Worst hotel experience ever for the money!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Bradr1966
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2013

Dear Bradr1966,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did find our service not up to standard and please accept my apologies for the delay in getting into your room.

We always recommend if you are arriving early in the morning to book and pay for your room the night before so we can guarantee the room instantly rather than waiting for the normal check in time.

Bradley, I am glad you found Max and Jackie helpful ; please be assured that they did their very best to track down a USB cord for you to use during your stay with us. We usually find guests travel with their personal cords to suit their electronic equipment, however we will purchase a couple as backup for our guests. We too find it frustrating our laundry service is limited on Sunday’s as we rely on a external laundry company. Therefore we offer an alternative in-house laundry facilities complimentary to compensate for this limited Sunday service.

As you were travelling on business I do hope you took advantage of our complimentary Wi-Fi. I was surprised to hear you paid $350.00 for your room when our records show your room rate was significantly less than that. If you would like to email me your receipt from the website booking I would be happy to look into the difference. jeanette.collett@skycitydarwin.com.au

Thanks again for your feedback.

Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in a deluxe room in the original part of the Skycity Complex which was very comfortable and clean but..... an iron worth more than $20 would be more helpful for the business traveller let alone anyone else. Although very minor in the grand scheme of things, trying to iron suitcase crumpled clothing with an iron that doesn't even have the simple function of steam and water is very frustrating. I would expect this sort of equipment from a shared hostel.

The room I had is starting to age a little but no means is it poor. There is just a disparity between the expectation of this venue and the reality of what you get.

Get a good deal/rate and I'm certain you'll be satisfied!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AaronH_SA
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Aaron H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. We are glad to hear you found the rooms to be comfortable and clean.

Regarding your comments on the iron, I appreciate your feedback and this is something I will certainly bring up with our team.

We hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin soon.