“Not as good as we hoped.”
Review of Skycity Darwin

Skycity Darwin
Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We have stayed at Skycity Darwin twice mainly because of it's convenient location. The rooms are good, clean but not outstanding. Most staff are good, but not excellent. The on site restaurant was very pricey, not much choice of room service meals. On our last visit we had arrived a few hours late because of flight delays and ordered beefburgers from room service. I commented to my husband that mine was cold but being ravenous started eating and got half way through before I realised it was almost raw in the middle. We complained, got a replacement but the damage was done. I then spent the next 3 days (our entire stay) confined to my room with food poisoning. My husband went to the front desk to ask to speak to a manager about it but was told they did not have a weekend duty manager. Quite honestly they couldn't care less. It will be our last stay there.

Room Tip: Rooms with a spa bath are good but those on the ground floor don't have views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

Dear justjan_1959,

I am sorry to hear of your experience whilst staying at SKYCITY Darwin. I would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further if you would like to contact me directly on jeanette.collett@skycitydarwin.com.au

Reviewed February 21, 2013

The new resort rooms were excellent, we had the lagoon room where you can jump into the pool from your room. The pool is massive & had a swim up bar. The room was nice with a comfortable bed & great bathroom. On the negatives, the cleaning of the room needed improvement, the same cups, hair & chocolate left from previous people were with us for 2 days, I did complain & they still couldn't get it right so this let it down for us. Also some of the staff at the resort need to learn customer service skills, the swim up pool staff, one in particular was rude & turned us off from getting a drink from him. The Team Leader from Cove needs to learn how to handle feedback from a customer, she did not do anything about it. I think being a fairly new Resort the staff lack experience on how to handle difficult situations & in general how to treat customers. The set up of the resort was very nice with Endota Spa being on the resort & this was a good experience for us as well, the girls were great in Endota. We Dined at all the restaurants and the one that was not worth going back to was Dragon Court, very average food. The Italian place was nice & Buffet Breakfast at Sunset was also great. Having said all of this the resort is so nice I would go back & hopefully by then the staff would have become more experienced.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank kirby999

Dear kirby999,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I would like to assure you that your comments will be passed on to the appropriate departments to ensure additional training is undertaken where needed.

I look forward to welcoming you to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

As I had read many reviews that helped me made my decision, I like to contribute my experiences to help others make theirs too.

We just returned from our holidays at Darwin and wanted a quiet family time together.
The renovation period was over and the room was in tip top condition.
Location wise, moving around was not that difficult. Hotel has free shuttle bus to the city and travelling to Casuarina (biggest shopping mall) was easy. Take bus No.4 that cost $3 for three hours validity just outside the hotel.

Ideal for family and courting couples !

Room Tip: Make a request if need to, they can obliged if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Evergreen5388
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Dear Evergreen5388,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Darwin. I am glad to hear you had a wonderful stay with us and found our location so central to all Darwin has to offer.

I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and i had a truly great time at Skycity darwin its billed as 5 star but i would say 4 star more likely the room was very clean and tidy and the staff very friendly and if you stay here you must get the room with the balcony especially overlooking the sea , probly 5 star was the pool thoroughly enjoyed it couldnt get her out of it and dont be fooled that its out of town we walked in every day not a problem a bit warm but thats darwin plenty of restuarants around some expensive and others reasonable and i have to mention that skycity has the beer festival on when we stayed there it was great fun plenty of beer consumed as its the right weather for it,makee sure you get the casino card as there are some good value items on it and its freeits definetly a very good spot for a week of fun and relaxation and we love the hot weather so will definetly be coming back see u in october.

Room Tip: get the balcony rooms you will enjoy looking at the sea with a cold one in hand
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear EwhenandChristine,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on feedback about your stay during Oktoberfest last year. I am glad you had such a great time during your stay, and that you are planning to come back and join us for Oktoberfest this year.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had been wanting to try the new Skycity Darwin Resort having stayed in the original Hotel section previously. Overall the experience was good but not great with obvious signs of "cost cutting" that detract from what is billed as 5 Star resort. The "Pluses", great room with plenty of space to move, excellent bed, lovely bathroom and direct access to " massive lagoon pool", pool towels and bathrobes supplied. Now the negatives, no complimentary bottled water in the rooms on arrival, (though available at $6-8 per bottle) the Cove restaurant (in the new complex) is not open for Breakfast Monday to Thursday so you have to grab breakfast in the main Casino area which is a pretty average buffett affair. In addition the "swim up bar" in the main lagoon pool was not open at all during our stay. Staff a mixed bag, concierge and porters friendly and affable, check in staff while efficient were aloof in manner. Skycity Darwin needs to be mindful that while the facilities do live up to a 5 Star standard, skeleton staffing and penny pinching makes it an average stay.

Room Tip: Stay Friday or weekends and enjoy the extra facilities that are only open on these days.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Topendtraveller

Dear Topendtraveller,

Thank you for the comments about your recent stay at SKYCITY Darwin. I am sorry you felt that there was a cost cutting initiative throughout your stay. I can assure you that this is certainly not the case and SKYCITY is committed to investing resources back into our property.

As far as your comments regarding the lack of complimentary bottled water in the rooms this is a deliberate move on our part. SKYCITY Darwin is committed to sustainable practices and minimising any negative impact on the environment so we feel that given the water quality in Darwin, we can encourage guests to utilize this great natural resource by not providing complimentary bottled water in guest rooms, however, we cater for all water drinkers by having bottled water available.

I am glad to hear you enjoyed the spacious room, pillow top beds and the direct lagoon pool access from your private balcony. I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

Stayed here for work so didnt get to enjoy the range of facilities on offer. Loved the location and the layout of the grounds. Great pools ! Awesome set up and offered a lot of space as well as activities. I wish I could have stayed longer and got to enjoy it more. Staff were very pleasant and the food was excellent.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank squidmuffin

Dear squidmuffin,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay, even though you didn’t have the time to experience all of the facilities SKYCITY Darwin has to offer. Hopefully on your next visit you will be able to take some time to relax and enjoy yourself, rather than spending your whole visit working.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Our family of 4 flew up to darwin for 5 days and were lucky enough to initially spend 4 of the nights at skycity in a garden view room. The staff never spoke down to our teenager or child and was more than happy to answer their questions and treat them like adults, unlike many places.

First of all we were greeted with the immediate offer of baggage being dropped to our room then we were presented with our immaculate 10/10 room. Then the lagoon topped it off, we were basically staying in paradise.

On the second day me and my 9 year old were struck down with gastro and even after many new linen requests and requests for buckets, in the morning the staff would still ask how we were and see if they could do anything else to help. During this time my teenager was very much left to her own devices at the hotels facilities ie. the pools, gym, ordering room service. And never was there any complaint from her or staff of upset of her doing this regardless of noise. She decided it would be a nice idea to sit on one of the VIP villa's balcony during the day as it was tucked around the back of the lagoon, was unoccupied and had a direct gate. On the 3rd day however of her doing this she was found out by a cleaner who got a staff member to alert her that this wasn't acceptable. However, this isn't a complaint infact I was happy to hear that he was actually very polite considering how rude he could've been.

Food at the resort was exceptional, drinks were awesome, accomodation affordable and we weren't left with a huge bill either!
They've thought of everything here, will definitely be returning for a non-gastro trip sometime soon :)

The whole time we felt like we were the only ones staying there with the efficiency of the service provided. Although, I'm sure they were happy to see us noisy lot go.

Thanks a lot sky city 100% satisfied!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Reilly H,

I am sorry to hear your visit was interrupted by illness, but I trust you are fully recovered now. I am very glad to hear that the staff went out of their way to make a difficult situation a little easier for you. I will certainly pass on your compliments to the relevant departments.

I look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY Darwin soon.