“Felt like we had actually left Darwin!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Skycity Darwin

Skycity Darwin
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
darwin
“Felt like we had actually left Darwin!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Decided to take up the NT Special rates and indulge in a lagoon deluxe room.Excited we arrived at reception to be met by a very unenthusiastic staff member who volunteered absolutley no information what so ever.( maybe thought as we were locals needed no help!).
Our excitement changed for the better as unloading the bags from our car we were greeted by a buggy driver who picked us up and filled us with enthusiasm and informationen route to our room.Our room was lovely, 2 double beds filled the room with room to spare.Decor lovely, large flat screen tv ( multiple stations) and an extra armchair. A small bar fridge filled with drinks but no free water what so ever. An electric jug and good supplies of tea and instant coffee were on offer.Huge selection of pillows
The bathroom huge with a double sink and double shower. Sensor light at night so that a bathroom light went on with movement and was easy to locate.
Outside was a little alcove with a settee and 2 armchairs under a fan. Was lovely sitting there early mornings and evenings with a coffee. I loved the privacy these offered as you could sit there without been on full view of everyone in the pool. That area was enclosed by a perspex fence then there were 2 sun lounges on the next section before hitting the magnificent pool.
The pool is large and just beautiful. 24 hour access to the pool as informed by our buggy driver. It was even more inviting at night with the lighting.Each room has their own ladder to use to climb out of the pool.
The beach area was down the other end to us but it was amazing. We felt as if we had left Darwin and were somewhere overseas on a holiday. The kids played, swam, built sandcastles and no fear of a crocodile what so ever!
We will stay again next year with the NT rates as although I loved the room would not pay full season rates. The buggy drivers and the garden staff made the whole atmosphere without them the sutomer service would have been a major let down.

Room Tip: Indulge in a lagoon room its worth it!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear sam63,

I appreciate you passing on your experience of check-in at SKYCITY Darwin and I do apologise for the level of service you received on the day. I will certainly be investigating the service standards provided by reception staff. On a more positive note, I am glad to hear our Concierge team provided such great enthusiasm and information and turned around your initial feelings after check-in. I will pass your compliments onto the team.

I am glad you enjoyed the modern touches in our rooms such as sensor lighting to the bathroom, flat screen TV and the light, bright spacious interior. It sounds like your family had a wonderful stay with us, enjoying a truly resort experience – swimming, sandcastles, relaxing, wining and dining and all only moments from Darwin CBD.

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Indonesian first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay we stayed on a Saturday night although we couldn't get a new lagoon side pool we took a spa suite on the ground floor and were not disappointed the room was great my fiancé loved the spa. We are NT local so got a territory rate $195 with $30 worth of food and beverage vouchers finally a 5 star hotel that looks after territory locals. Service from front reception and concierge exceptional. Cove for dinner was amazing. The only two faults I could give it and I only mention this as constructive criticism is good, first the drinks service in the infinity pool very slow 20 min wait for a beer and by the time I got it it was semi warm and not very pleasant to drink and second the buffet breakfast in sunset was cold and ordinary. Other than that we had a very pleasant stay and will be back again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Matt D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. I am glad to hear you had such a great stay with us and that you appreciated the Territorian Special promotion. Your constructive criticism will certainly be passed on to the relevant departments to ensure our product and services continue to improve.

Darwin, Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We are locals and used the Territorian Special. we were lucky enough to be upgraded to a Deluxe Spa Room.The room were spacious and clean and the spa was very welcome after a hard night on the pokies ( I lost) We had dinner at the Cove and the food was fantastic.The service by Irma and the other staff was very good and the food was well priced

Room Tip: Locals take advantage of the special. It will do you the world of good.higher rooms are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Elly R,

Thank you for your great comments about your recent stay, I am glad you had such a great experience. I will certainly pass on your compliments about dinner in Cove to our Food and Beverage team, they will appreciate receiving the feedback.

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We often go to Skycity to stay - even if we are Darwin locals. We went for 2 nights this week and stayed in the new Cove section. Made a nice change to the older motel area. The rooms were lovely. The only hassle I had was the fact that having a much wanted "hot" bath - the water was just warm. I had to boil a kettle to top it up to be hotter. I had a cold and really looked forward to having a hot bath to soak in. I tried 3 times but each time - without running cold water at all, no real heat to it.
The breakfast was cold as usual - I find the buffet very ordinary. Il Piatto was also a let down for dinner. We have been there on a few occasions and we found the service very slack and meals average.
I tried to book into the spa for a quick brow wax but it was booked out.
The new pool was good.
The wind was up on our stay and the balcony furniture kept blowing across to one side. May pay for them to put up glass fence like downstairs to stop this from happening. It did give me a scare at one stage, wondering what the noise was.
All in all a great room and pool.

Room Tip: Stay in the new part.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leanne A,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your recent stay. First of all, I would like to apologise for the hot water issue during your stay; this was due to a faulty pump that feeds the hot water into the pipes; which was rectified as soon we became aware of the problem.

The furniture being blown about by the wind on the balcony is an issue I was not aware of, so I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention so that I can investigate further.
I hope to be able to welcome you back to SKYCITY Darwin in the future.

Sunshine, Australia
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We were staying at a different hotel for 6 nights in Darwin - but had seen photos of the Skycity Lagoon and thought that we just had to splurge for a night there to swim in the pool.

The lagoon pool is absolutely incredible - it's huge. There are motel rooms that you can purchase that open up onto the lagoon pool (which if you can afford - would be an incredible luxury). You don't actually feel as though you are in Darwin when you are here - you feel as though you are in Phuket or some other exclusive resort in south east asia.

We love to do some laps of the pool to keep fit - so we enjoyed the alternative exercise that the lagoon pool added. We went down at 9am in the morning and there was nobody else in it. All up you can swim straight for at least 150 - 200 metres (lap of the lagoon) so it made for a lovely swim.

Our son (9 years) loved the pool. He would play indepdently in the pool (mixture of jumping off the rocks that lign the lagoon and playing in the sand and water). There is a swim up bar (wooohoo) and a really nice barman (Luke) served us. The poor bugger however was the only person serving at the bar - so the wait for drinks (especially mid afternoon when everyone wants cocktails is quite large). We unfortunately were there between Christmas and new year - so they had started running out of alcohol - but I think this was a seasonal thing rather than a regularly occurring event.

As for the room (normal motel room) it was quite basic and slightly dated - yet comfortable. There are some mod cons (ie. flat screen tv's (not all of the darwin motels have these), and swipe sensor access to the room. The room had a little balcony - which came in handy for drying some clothes (as the aircons are always on in the room at this time of year - summer).

The casino was pretty basic as Casinos go - but we're not big gamblers and were here on a family jaunt (so only spent a couple of dollars on the pokies). The food options are pretty good - and also reasonably priced. We paid $35 each adult for a full buffet dinner (this included seafood) and then $17 for a full buffet breakfast. So food wise - you cannot complain. Lots of variety - especially in relation to desserts.

This place is a must stay (if not for any other reason - but the lagoon pool!) whislt in Darwin.

If you are from the NT you get a cheaper rate apparently (we're not though!). Best bet is to ring the place itself - they have cheaper rates than what is advertised online.

Room Tip: If you have the money - get a room that goes out over the lagoon pool. If not, especially on big oc...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Shannon R
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Shan_Donna,

Thank you for taking the time to review SKYCITY Darwin after your recent stay. I am glad to hear that our wonderful new Lagoon Pool made such a great and lasting impression on you. We have had a few comments about the speed of service in the swim-up bar and this is certainly an issue we are working on.

Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Nice place to stay. Rooms need a bit of a touch up (would not class as a 5 star hotel, probably a 4), but nice overall. Restaurants at the casino very good, room service is good also. Customer service was really good, all staff polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are my choice
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, December 30, 2012
Dear Ben E,

Thank you for passing on your feedback about your recent stay. I am glad to hear you found the customer service aspect of your visit to be so good. I will certainly pass on your compliments to the relevant staff.

You will be pleased to note we have begun our annual refresh of guest rooms and are looking at beginning a new renovation project in the near future to ensure our rooms are updated to meet our changing needs.

Melbourne
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I had a terrible stay here with my daughter at the Skycity Hotel. Being primarily a casino, the staff really didn't care about Hotel Guests. We were woken at 1.30am by a Room Service attendent pounding on the door "Room Service" - we were sound asleep and hadn't ordered any. He was persistent - banging 3 times and wouldn't go away - We thought it was a robber!
We went to ring the front desk and the room phone didn't work. Their apologies were not genuine and other issues were the lack of carparking for hotel guests (Casino guests filled all the carparks) The place swarmed with rough guests and the security guards were even worse. The food and service in the casino was terrible - A chew and spew buffet, lousy coffee - I wanted a nice hotel experience and got a shocker. Won't be back EVER! and happy to take my conferences elsewhere. Shame.Did have a nice pool though!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
9 Thank Biztraveller7
JC8001, Manager at Skycity Darwin, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Biztraveller7,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I understand that our Front Office Manager did meet with you upon check out to discuss your comments further. You will be pleased to know that we have put measures in place to prevent your experience being repeated.

Hotel Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels