“Beautiful”

Ranked #17 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Canberra, Australia
“Beautiful”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I have returned from 2 nights at Skycity. The rooms are great and very quiet. The service is excellent. The pool magnificent. I spent yesterday lazing by or in the pool, looking over the beach to the sea. Very relaxing.

Room Tip: Had a standard room overlooking the pool.
1 Thank Tony A
Dear Tony A

I am so glad that we have provided you with such a great experience! Our Infinity pool does have an amazing view over Mindil Beach. Did you get a chance to swim in our new Lagoon Pool? With a private beach and swim-up bar it is sure to become a new favourite spot to laze away the day.

Hotel Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Indonesian first
Darwin
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Stayed in the new Cove. The rooms are lovely with very comfortable beds and pillows. Lovely big bathroom with two people shower. Nice how the lights under the vanity come on when you walk into the bathroom so no need to put the overhead lights on during the night. Decor is muted and elegant. Only a couple of issues. Firstly, whilst it may be nice to have two queen size beds in one room, it would have been nice to have a table and chairs to sit at if you ordered room service, there was an outside area but the coffee table was a bit low for sitting to eat. Secondly, there should be a warning sign in the rooms notifying guests that once you open the doors to the balcony or put lights on (even with the net curtain closed) you are completely visible to those outside, especially from the restaurant - REMEMBER TO CLOSE THE MAIN CURTAINS.

1 Thank ConstableKnapweed
Dear ConstableKnapweed,

I am glad to hear you enjoyed our new Resort, we are quite proud of what we have achieved. As a part of our expansion we added the fantastic Cove Restaurant, increasing our restaurant count to 5 different restaurants with cuisines to cater for every taste and budget.

We made the decision not to include a dining suite in our new Lagoon Rooms as we wanted our rooms to have an airy, spacious and relaxing atmosphere and feel we have achieved exactly that.

Privacy is definitely a concern for most guests visiting SKYCITY, so as well as the net curtains all rooms also feature full block out curtains. Thanks to your comments we will now ensure all guests are reminded to be mindful of their privacy on check in.

Perth
Reviewed September 7, 2012

This was the first hotel we stayed at during our trip to the NT. It was well-appointed and what you would expect from a hotel of this nature. The only quibble was with the bathroom - whoever placed the shower heads was not thinking!! I am the average height of a woman in Australia and I had to bend over to get my hair wet - poor husband (at 195cm) really struggled with this simple task - don't know how they could have got it so wrong.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rochelle A
Dear Rochelle A

Thank you for making SKYCITY the first stop on your recent trip to the Northern Territory. I am glad you found your room well-appointed and that it met your expectations.

Sorry that the height of the shower head made a simple task so difficult, we are currently reviewing the placement of items in our rooms to ensure they are at a suitable level.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Darwin.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed at the Skycity Darwin with my mother who is 87 and my sister. We enjoyed the Dragan Court and Il Pattia Restaurants the food was excellent. The pool was fabulous and the staff very friendly and helpful. The only down side is the hotel is not set up for the elderly for example the the lifts door closes so fast my mother was nearly caught a few times with her walker - the lifts needs to be adjusted to stay open a bit longer. Access from the hotel to the casino is either via stairs which my mother cannot use so we had to walk outside onto a footpath which it not really set up for people with walkers or wheelchairs it would have been very difficult if it had been poring with rain. The entry to go to the disabled toilet in the hotel had a push door and should had been an automatic sliding door. The chair lift to go to the restaurant was not working (which looked like it had not been working for a long time) and we had to go the long way around, the surface outside for the walker was very uneven. I do believe SunCity should consider doing a review on their hotel for suitability for elderly and/or disabled guests. My sister and I would stay at the casino again but not with mum.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Chrissy97
Dear Chrissy97,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay. I am glad you found our staff friendly and helpful, and that you enjoyed the wonderful food we have on offer in Dragon Court and il Piatto.

We take the needs of our guests very seriously and as suggested we will be conducting a review of our property to ensure it is easily accessible for all to enjoy.

We look forward to welcoming you back to SKYCITY in the future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I flew up to Darwin to meet my partner (his ship had pulled in for the weekend). Flying from Sydney after work, I didn't get in until midnight, but reception staff were quick to help and on seeing my high heels/taking into account the late hour, drove me to my room in one of the golf buggies.

The view from the Superior Lagoon Room is amazing, the room is spacious (pillows are super comfy), the bathroom is huge! I enjoyed that there is a 'privateish' balcony with a nice lounge, before it opens out to the deck with your sunbeds and ladder into the pool! Temperature of the water was warm but still refreshing (and I am the kind of person who hates getting into cold water!) Pool Bar made great cocktails, and was very handy. I agree with another comment about children playing on the bar stools - probably a little dangerous and very distracting if you are trying to have a quiet conversation and cocktail with your partner!

The room service food was quick to arrive and very tasty, and also brought an ice bucket and chilled champagne glasses when I called up to ask for some!

I didn't get to try Cove Restaurant, this was probably the only regret. I realise that I didn't make a reservation, but on trying to go for dinner I was at first given a menu to look at, then told there was no availability until after 9pm (it was just before 6pm when I was in the restaurant, and it was almost empty, and I wanted to eat right away) and also on Father's Day, I tried again for lunch (the restaurant was empty again)- told there was no availability by the same staff member, and while I ate my room service from across the pool, could see it took another hour to start getting busy. So, whilst I know I know it was ultimately my fault for not booking in advance, it would have been nice to have been offered to be squeezed in quickly or something similar - its pretty hard getting turned away from an empty restaurant.

In all though the hotel was amazing, and I can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: Superior Room is definitely worth the extra - nothing compares to a swim out!
Dear Carly O,

Thank you for your review, it’s great to hear that you enjoyed one of our new superior lagoon rooms with the swim out access from your own balcony.

I have passed on your comments to the Food & Beverage Manager regarding the table issue in Cove- thanks for letting me know.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Regards,

perth
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Most definately not a 5 Star Hotel!

Air conditioning - inadequate. It is simply too old and cannot cope with the humidity.

Room service - menu is boring and has not changed for 2 years. The food is pretty much inedible. If you ask for extras such as Tabasco to add some kind of flavour, the Service Staff wait next to you while you put it on your food so they can take it back with them. Hmmm paying 5 star rates and they are worried about guests knocking off a bottle of sauce?

Cleaning staff - extremely noisy and knock on your door even when you have the Do Not Disturb sign on. Tip: lock the bathroom door when you shower.

Valet - don't bring too many bags unless you are prepared to struggle on your own.

Parking - be prepared for your car to be parked in the main Casino carpark and not in the Hotel carpark which has a capacity of about 20 carparks.

Rooms - tired, in serious need of a good clean (mould and broken tiles in the bathroom). I found a used hand towel in sink! Walls are paper thin, just what you need when next door comes back from the casino as 3am.

Reception - all I can say is good luck!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
18 Thank PerthWanderer
Dear PerthWanderer

I would certainly like to have the opportunity to discuss your stay with us further. Please feel free to contact me on jeanette.collett@skycitydarwin.com.au.

Regards

Hotel Operations Manager

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My husband and I have just arrived home from a four day stay in one of the superior lagoon rooms in the newly opened section of the Sky City Hotel and we absolutely loved it.
The superior lagoon rooms are slightly more expensive but worth it; they are new and fresh, beautifully furnished and have a terrace overlooking the lagoon from which you can jump straight into the lagoon and swim up to an in-pool bar, if you have the inclination, or just recline on the sandy beach. The bar has a good selection of cocktails and nice wines.
The new Cove Restaurant also overlooks the lagoon and provided delicious meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner but I'll do a separate review for the restaurant; except to say here that we were very happy with the quality of food and the friendly staff. The in-house menu was also good and I thought very reasonably priced. Internet connection was included in the price of the rooms, which we were also pleased about.
The weather was perfect in late August to spend many hours around or in the pool and we had no complaint with the temperature of the water; it was perfect! I suspect previous reviews saying the water was icy was when they had first filled it.
You can't see the brilliant Darwin sunset from the lagoon pool but you can do a short walk around the hotel grounds to the beachside of the hotel where the original pool - also nice - provides amazing views of the sunsets.
The location of Sky City also provides good access to the Mindl Markets, a lovely walk to the Darwin Museum through a national park and down to Cullen Bay (in the opposite direction).
The only slight downfall was that on the weekend quite a few young families with small children converged into the lagoon accommodation and spent all day in the pool shouting, splashing and screaming. These children were also allowed to play on the poolside bar stools, again splashing and yelling, which ruined the exclusive and romantic ambiance for us. Fortunately we had three days during the week to enjoy the peace and quiet before the families arrived.
I should say that despite being in close proximity to the restaurant, the room was very well sound proofed, so once the doors were closed at night, we didn't hear any noise from the lagoon or surrounding rooms.
Every staff member we encountered was very friendly and helpful during our entire stay, and we enjoyed talking to the animated concierge who provided us with lots of information about which restaurants to visit, which walks to do and which tours to take.
Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to book the spa but I'll try that next time.
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sky City and will definitely be back in the future.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the superior lagoon room with the swim out/swim up option. Superior lagoon rooms at th...
1 Thank CosmicCarol
Dear CosmicCarol,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I pleased you got to enjoy our full facilities and local attractions. I have passed your comments on to the staff who I know will appreciate them.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and don’t forget to book that spa treatment.

Regards