“Surprisingly OK” 4 of 5 bubbles

Darwin Central Hotel
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Darwin
“Surprisingly OK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I regularly stay in Darwin for work and normally stay at the Crowne Plaza, however since this became the Hilton it seems to have gone up considerably in price. So the search has been on to find another centrally located, clean, comfortable hotel. Whilst the Darwin Central isn't as presentable as the Crowne Plaza, it certainly has a great location, the staff were helpful and the room was very clean with a nice bathroom. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your review.

We are pleased the hotel met your needs on your recent business trip. The hotel's central location, opposite the Smith Street Shopping Mall, makes it easy to walk to everything in the city and is close to shopping, restaurants and cafes.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Michelle Davidson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Staff were friendly and courteous. Our room was very comfortable with two double beds and very modern and clean, a pleasant surprise. Loved the bathroom too. There was no view but we were out most of the time and returned simply to sleep. It is very central, walking distance to many restaurants and pubs, etc, which is what we needed as we stayed only one night, so didn't waste time running all over the place. The buffet breakfast wasn't really worth it. You would be better off to go to the waterfront, a 5 minute walk, to one of the lovely cafes there. We had a drink at Il Lido, which is right on the waterfront. Apart from a bit of construction noise it was very quiet and relaxing. For a quick stay, the Darwin Central Hotel was perfect. : )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angmir
Thank you for your recent review.

It is pleasing to hear the hotel met your needs during your recent stay. The hotel's central location, comfortable rooms and friendly staff make it an ideal location to explore the city and the many attractions.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to see you again soon.

Nathalia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Enjoyed our stay at Darwin Central. It was all that we expected at the price.
Clean, comfortable, pleasant staff, and of course well situated close to restaurants, bars
and shops. Buffet breakfast was excellent. A bit slow in cleaning the room on a couple of days.
but no great problem. Corner room had view over the city, plenty of space and good bathroom.
valet parking made it convenient for our rental car to be available whenever we needed it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you for your review.

It was pleasing to hear you found the hotel met your needs during your recent stay. The easy convenience of the hotel's valet parking, central location and great buffet breakfast, makes any stay hassle free and easy.

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Well, I have to say that I totally underestimated this property. I lived in Darwin City for 15 months through 2011-2012 mostly at Mantra Pandanus. I passed the Darwin Central Hotel many times and totally dismissed it as a backpackers place. I imagined behind those teeny tiny windows some kind of dormitory arrangement of Formule One style room. When I got told I had been booked in there for three nights, I was dismayed

Was I in for a surprise! The room I was given was on fifth floor and I made sure I had a room that was well away from the lift area. I was very pleasantly amazed at the room. It was a reasonable size (mine had two two double beds in it). It was tastefully appointed and scrupulously clean. The bathroom was really really nice, all marble type material and again very clean and fresh. The beds were ok too. I am a stickler for a nice bed and I didn't have any complaints there - except we all agreed that it was very odd just having a sheet in the bed and I did have to drag a blanket out of the wardrobe (the blanket was not quite so nice - possibly a left over from before the refurbishment??).

One of my work colleagues said that she had problems with her toilet not flushing and her tv didn't work. I never tried my tv so don't know whether mine worked or not, certainly everything else worked fine. Another colleague complained bitterly about the small windows and said he "felt claustrophobic" but honestly, I didn't mind the small window - which surprised me because I usually have a hissy fit if I don't have a balcony and floor to ceiling windows. Maybe if I was going to be there any length of time it would get me down but for short stays of just a week or two, I think it's bearable. It certainly kept street noise down (didn't hear a peep).

I had room service breakfast on two of the days - and again a pleasant surprise. First of all, you don't have to pay the obligatory $27-$33 for a cooked breakfast which seems to be the norm in a lot of hotels. You order what you want and pay individually for the items ie so my poached eggs and baked beans cost me just $9. I did make a boo boo and assumed my poached eggs came with toast, so I should have ordered toast as well. But no matter. It was just what I wanted to start the day and the eggs were cooked to perfection - another big surprise because normally in room service situation you get hard cold eggs.

I honestly can hardly pick fault with the place. I think if you were on a lower floor, you might get noise from the dining area which is at the bottom of the central atrium. I could hear dining room noise if I stood in my bathroom. I did hear doors slamming but you get that even in some 5 star places. According to their website they do have "suites" and I would be very interested to see what these rooms are like. the location is brilliant. Right opposite Smith St Mall and just far enough from Mitchell St for the noise and madness of that mad place not to be a bother but close enough to be just a short stroll. They even have valet parking!L

All in all, it was a pleasant experience. With the price of hotel rooms in Darwin at this time of year, I don't think you can go past the value offered by this hotel. I believe we were only paying $179 per night - about half the rate of most othe Darwin hotels. I am still shaking my head at the value, honestly I have stayed in some Darwin hotels charging twice or three times the amount and not had as nice a room as here. I would happily stay here again and I would recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank BrisCaz
Thank you for your review.

It was pleasing to hear that we pleasantly surprised you during your recent stay. The hotel does not have the appearance of a hotel from the outside but we certainly make up for that on the inside. The hotel was designed with a specific brief of using iconic local materials whilst being energy efficient and environmentally friendly. The architectural design of the hotel including the stunning atrium, won the hotel the Tracy Memorial Award for its design.

Over the past 4 years we have been undertaking a refurbishment programme that has included many areas and items such as bathrooms, bedding, window dressings, entertainment & technology, guest laundry, Waterhole Restaurant and more recently, Hotel Reception. We have more upgrades planned as we continue to focus on our guest experience.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

The best aspect of this hotel is its location. It is right in the centre of Darwin. Step out of the hotel and onto the main street where everything is happening. The hotel has a musty smell in the lobby but the rooms seem to be okay. The room was of an average size, small bathroom but with a good, walk-in shower (no shower over the bath, which I hate). Breakfast was average but quite sufficient. Car parking at the hotel is $16 per day. However we had an Avis rental car and they said we could leave the car in their lot overnight (just along the street from the hotel) but we parked the car in the street overnight and it was okay. So car parking options are at Avis rental lot or in the street in preference to paid parking at the hotel. We also stayed at Skycity Hotel and Casino in Darwin but its out of the city centre and I thought this hotel (without the associated gambling noise etc) was a better option.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fun2travelCanberra
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us so we can use your feedback as part of our ongoing staff training and customer service focus. The hotel's central location makes it an easy choice for being located in the heart of the city close to all the shopping, restaurants, cafes and nightlife. We have recently been completing the 2nd stage of our Hotel Reception upgrade with the new carpets just installed, complimenting the ongoing Hotel Refurbishment programme we have been undertaking over the past 4 years.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

3 of us stayed on 29 July 2013 for 1 night with 2 rooms. I asked for top floor 7th in quiet side, we've got it! The reception was friendly and quick service. we rented a car, the hotel has value parking; but they also told us we can park outside the road & public parking free after 5 pm, so we parked out side street, from our room see our car parked there too.
if you go to hotel or other booking site, you will pay more, but thanks for the TripAdvisor, we used Promition code TripAdvisor that we had 15% off.

Room Tip: 6 or 7th top floor , at the back of hotel size if you face Main street- Knuckey Street are quieter...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gigil38
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We appreciate receiving feedback from our guests so we can continue to monitor and evaluate our performance. We are pleased you found the hotel met your needs during your stay and you took advantage of our great Trip Advisor special deal!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Brisbane QLD
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed there last month for three nights while doing some training in Darwin. First impressions from the outside are it looks a bit old but once you get inside it is nice. The Check-in staff were all very friendly.

The room was ok nothing special. To me it was just a standard Hotel room with the usual facilities.

I was able to walk to my training. Walk to Parliament which is a very impressive building, Government House, the Supreme Court House, everything. Even Mindel Markets is only a few Km's away. The Harbor Wave Pool area is very impressive. Wish I had brought by Toggs,(bathers for you non aussies).

Only disappointment was the restaurant is only open in the morning for Breakfast. So you have to wander out at night to find somewhere to eat. There are plenty of places and I felt quite safe wandering the streets at night. There are a lot of places to eat close by.

Breakfast was reasonably priced and there was plenty of choice.

Overall I thought it was a bit expensive for what it was but all the Hotels in Darwin are pretty expensive.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CamnViv
Thank you for your recent review.

We are pleased you found the hotel's central location was convenient for you to access your training whilst in Darwin. The hotel is surrounded by cafes, restaurants and nightlife and is located opposite the Smith Street Shopping Mall. We have been undertaking hotel refurbishments over the past 4 years, and have more upgrades planned to be rolled out soon.

Thank you for sharing your experience and we hope to welcome you back in the future.