“WONT STAY HERE AGAIN”

Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Darwin, Australia
“WONT STAY HERE AGAIN”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed for one night and never again I'am so angry and disappointed in the managers decision to not allow me to cancel breakfast 24hrs in advance and allow me to get Room service that evening. This decision has ruined my stay I think 24 hours is ample notice and quite honestly isn't a happy returning customer better than someone who will stay elsewhere and complain about the stay at The Darwin Central I suggest you stay at the Vibe the Room Service Menu is three times the size and customer service is faultless

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jennifer C
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

I can understand your frustration about not being able to cancel the breakfast portion of your one night stay. As you had booked via an online agency, it is a requirement of these sites that you contact them to make any changes to your booking.

We have discussed possible solutions to this matter for future guests and are pleased to advise that we have made an option available to those who require breakfast before our restaurant opens at 6am.

It is unfortunate that we were not able to provide this option to you during your stay. However, we appreciate your feedback so we could review this area of our operation and discuss alternatives, if this should arise again in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

Michelle Davidson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We flew into Darwin for a short weekend trip to visit Kakadu National Park. Decided to book a nicer hotel as we were to stay a night after coming back from the parks, and would have had enough of roughing it! Was deciding between this and another nearby hotel, and am so glad we chose this as it is definitely value for money!

Paid AUD135 for a twin room, which is much cheaper than some similar looking hotels in Darwin! Perfect location - the hotel is located right in the middle of the city, and you could walk everywhere from it. The mall and the waterfront are both very close by. There is also a Coles nearby for any grocery shopping needs.

The room is spacious, looks new and clean, albeit not much of a view for ours (faces inland).

The staff were friendly and helpful. Gave us advice on places to do and see around the city. Helped us got a taxi to the airport with no problem at all.

I would definitely recommend staying here for any travellers travelling through Darwin.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank chayying
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for your recent review.

The Darwin Central Hotel has an unbeatable CBD location in the heart of Darwin City close to shopping, cafes, restaurants and nightlife. Our location makes it easy and convenient for our guests to access all the major attractions and facilities within the city center.

The Hotel has been undertaking major refurbishments for the past 4 years with all areas of the hotel undergoing renovation. We are currently completing the roll our of our new carpet throughout the entire property.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the staff and the service you received. We have worked hard with our staff to provide the highest level of customer service possible. We do acknowledge that on occasions we have not lived up to our expectations or those of our guests, however it is a constant focus for us and our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Darwin, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Stayed for one night, the room was ok, but wasn't happy to find out the next day the lady who went to get my car, valet parking (by no choice either pay for valet parking $16 or park in the street) didn't know how to put my car into reverse so had to park it illegally just outside the car park ramp. So someone who was not confident in driving a car was in control of my car. Also was not told that it takes 5 days to get the money released from my account after swiping my credit card in case I used the mini bar even though I had nothing from the bar. I am a local Darwin resident but will not be staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 198Jenn
Thank you for your review and feedback regarding your stay.

The hotel provides a valet car parking service for guests which is an additional charge of $16 per day. Guests have the option of using our valet service or alternatively using street parking or the various car parking options in the city, such as Mitchell Center Car Park or West Lane Car Park.

On check in the hotel will process a pre-authorisation on your credit card to cover any additional expenses and rooms charges during your stay. On check out, if you do not have any additional expenses then the pre-authorisation will automatically release within 5 to 7 working days or alternatively guests can request for this to be released as soon as possible. To assist with this request, the hotel will send a fax to your nominated bank to release the pre-authorisation.

It is through such feedback that we can continue to monitor our performance and guest satisfaction and identify areas for improvement.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Darwin, NT
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I have stayed here 4 times and EVERY single time they have failed to release my credit card pre-authorisation. I stayed there last sat night and strictly told them to ensure my $100 charge was release to the correct credit union bank and even with providing the correct details these fools sent it to the NSW credit union which is no way associated with the SA/NT credit union. So extremely disgusted with their lack of care into holding my money. I will never stay there again, especially as I paid for the room upfront and even had them remove the mini bar. Staff are rude, can hardly speak or understand English and don't give a hoot about you after you have paid. I will be sending them an invoice for the fees associated with my latest phone call which was over 16mins on hold and trying to yet again explain that they stuffed up in which banks they sent their release fax paperwork too. If you are money conscience don't stay here and save yourself the heartache in trying to chase them down for your money. Last time it took me 3 weeks to get my money back. Poor poor poor customer service!

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank SandiR
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay.

The Darwin Central Hotel processes a pre-authorisation on your credit card during check in. This is to validate your card and ensure that sufficient funds are available to cover your charges whilst staying at the hotel. When we process the pre-authorisation, the bank places a hold/freeze on those funds for 5 to 7 days or until the hotel processes a final sale amount using the pre-authorisation. The money is not withdrawn from your account and will show as a pending transaction. This transaction, if finalized, will then show the final sale amount or if not finalized, will simply be released and no longer viewable to you on your account. If the pre-authorisation is not utilized by the hotel due to no further charges on check out, then the pre-authorisation will release within 5 to 7 days, however this is dependent on your bank. The hotel can assist in releasing this hold by sending notification to your bank.

With regards to your stay, we did send notification to the bank and also a follow up phone call on the Monday. As you checked out on a weekend, the bank will action our request when they are open during regular business hours.

I do apologize for the inconvenience of this process. However it is essential for the hotel to follow this procedure so we can ensure that all guests have sufficient funds on their credit card and the card is not lost or stolen.

If guests do not want to leave a credit card then they can leave a cash deposit.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We value all feedback so we can continually monitor our performance.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed here for 7 nights for work recently. The hotel is positioned in a fantastic location with the mall directly across the road and a short walk to pubs and bars. The food court downstairs is convenient.

Overall the room was spacious. The self contained kitchen facilities of the room were good. The bathroom was spacious and the shower temperature and pressure good. The air conditioning was fantastic and kept the room icy cold.

My room smelt like strong cleaning chemicals the entire week and I was overwhelmed with the smell whenever I returned to my room. I also found small stains on the bedsheets and a few stray hairs on the pillows.

The service was hit and miss depending on which staff members were on the front desk.

Had the buffet breakfast one morning and it was quite nice, good range of hot and cold food at a reasonable price. The breakfast pastries were particularly tasty. They also cooked eggs to your liking which was a nice touch.

Overall this hotel was okay, in particular if you want to be in the city centre, but if I were on holidays and paying I probably wouldn’t stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Thank you for your recent review.

The Darwin Central Hotel enjoys an unbeatable CBD location close to shops, restaurants, banks and nightlife. We are pleased to hear that you found the location easy and convenient.

I am glad that you found the rooms comfortable and spacious and met your expectations. Our Buffet Breakfast offers great value and a diverse range including eggs cooked to your liking.

I have discussed your comments about the room cleaning and the Front Desk hospitality with my Housekeeping and Front Office Managers. We pride ourselves on our cleanliness and customer service and it is a constant focus for us and our team.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

West australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

I was only here for one night on a business trip and found the hotel, clean, central and staff were brilliant. I was hosting a meeting at the hotel and found the whole process of communication with staff and the preparation of the room excellent. Skye did a fantastic job - thank you.
The hotel being central is just perfect to be able to walk around the city and the waterfront. I enjoyed dinner at the down stairs restaurant - again the staff were very pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
DCHManager, General Manager at Darwin Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

It was pleasing to hear that you found the hotel met your expectations. Our unbeatable central CBD location makes it easy to get around and see the sites whilst enjoying the shopping, cafes and restaurants.

Thank you for your comments regarding our Conference Department, the staff and the cleanliness of the hotel. We are happy to hear that you found everything convenient and the staff helpful.

It is always great to receive such feedback and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the hotel with us.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Based on previous trip advisor reviews I booked this hotel for 3 nights in October. It was perfectly positioned in the centre for Darwin, a very short walk to the Mall, the cafe and nightlife street, Coles and Safeway, and buses. All I can say is Position, Position, Position! It was also spotlessly clean and cool, with large rooms and comfortable beds. The toiletries were lovely too... The expensive hotels were just round the corner, don't bother, this is much better value. I would not hesitate to book this hotel again

Room Tip: Pick the top floor.