“What a gem!”

Ranked #12 of 37 Hotels in Darwin
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“What a gem!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Had the best night's sleep here!! After travelling for business for a week I had an extremely good night's sleep, something that isn't always easy to achieve when away from home!! The room was very clean, the only downside was the in-bathroom hairdryer wasn't working, but no biggie!
The staff were excellent and very helpful and I appreciated being able to leave the bags I didn't need in storage until I returned.
A very quaint hotel, with a bit of sprucing this place could be even more of a gem!!
Thank you for a great stay!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
NovotelDarwinManager, Manager at Novotel Darwin CBD, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Jessica_nomad,

Thank you for your positive review! I am delighted to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and had some restful sleeps. It is always our pride to deliver the home away from home experience to our guests.

I will pass the comment to the team and we look forward to welcome you back at our hotel!

Novotel Darwin Atrium

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Arrived for my 6 night stay in a junior suite, king bed with harbour views. 2 out of 3 wasn't to bad. Got the suite, got the harbour views, as for the king bed advertised well they do exist. Only a old queen bed that has seen better days. Novotel it's time to invest in new beds. The aircon is very noisy, fridge stunk from old spilt milk. Check out the Hilton next time

• Stayed June 2013
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Loved our stay in Darwin and enjoyed the Novotel but thought it could do with a spruce up and an injection of life. The staff were young and helpful but the ambiance of the whole place is tired. We stayed two nights in different rooms or junior suites and found them clean and spacious although to our way of thinking a tad expensive at $300 plus Aussie dollars per night.
We had breakfast one of the mornings we stayed and this was fine. Dinner in the hotel restaurant was ok. The menu choice was fair as was the wine list. Waiter staff were reasonably attentive but really we were the only people eating in so i suppose they felt like we should feel the love. No atmosphere here and and ok meal.We chose to eat out the next night at a local THAI Restaurant and it was sensational. The lifts are slow, some of the furniture outside the lift lobbies stained with???, the carpets outside the lifts at the ground level have marks??[chewing gum] embedded in the carpet and this is not a great look.
Linen was crystal clean, rooms clean but the choice of bathroom shampoos etc was limited to a choice of 2. No tooth paste, tooth brush, conditioner and NO HERBAL TEA. Not a bag to be seen anywhere for a thirst quenching cuppa. We'd say the whole Novotel Atrium experience was ok for the expense. Great position though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
NovotelDarwinManager, Manager at Novotel Darwin CBD, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Simonsays3042,

Thank you for your review! It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Darwin.

Your remarks about public area furniture has been discussed with our Executive housekeeper and has been actioned since. Your suggestions for in room amenities will be pass on and review with our Rooms Division team.

Thank you for your comments again and we look forward to welcome you back to the Top End!

Melbourne
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This was our first trip to Darwin and we selected the hotel based on it being in a recommended location and being part of the Accor group.

We decided on a junior suite and while I might have liked a higher floor our second floor room was a pleasant surprise when we opened the door and ventured in. This was after a very speedy and pleasant checkin experience.

Then we got to see the bathroom. If there is one thing I detest in hotels it is a shower over a bath behind a curtain and sure enough, that is exactly what we encountered, then you start looking at more details and see the towel rack nearly falling off the wall, the paint blistering and peeling from the ceiling etc.

This was however the only real issue we had. the staff were very friendly and efficient, the general impression was of a pleasant friendly home away from home. There didn't seem to be anything they couldn't help with and i never saw a face without a smile.

I think that a refurbish is needed, particularly the bathrooms and i would like to see a better wifi policy, 30 minutes in a block per 24 hours and only in the public areas is abit behind modern expectations.

We arrived during the annual greek glenti festival which was right across the road from us and the hotel was pretty full but the staff seemed to cope well.

Having said all of that, you cannot fault the location and the staff and I would seriously consider it for another stay.

Room Tip: go for a higher floor and i would take the harbour view options, the city view is really only seing...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Bar with very very very loud music until very very late. So loud you can't even hear your own tv. Room needs a good clean too. Not worth $200. Not worth $100. Very disappointing. Another bad booking via wotif

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank rachelsmithtorquay
Dear TRAVELSfromBRISBANE,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We really appreciate your comment given to music from the bar, we would like to reiterate that we do not have live music playing from our bar. However, on some special event period, if there is festival event on the esplanade, live music might be mistaken that is from the hotel.

Our hotels have a reputation of providing some of the best service and accommodation in the industry. I am sorry that in this instance we fell short of providing this experience. I sincerely hope we will be given the opportunity of welcoming you back to one of our hotels in the future, where we are able to extend to you the high level of service we strive to offer all of our guests.

Novotel Darwin Atrium

Travelers are raving about these Darwin hotels

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed here for a week while on business. The location is great, directly opposite the Esplanade and within minutes walk to the cbd. Service check in was efficient and friendly. I wasn't happy with the room I had at first (view mainly of roof over outside dining area), but they quickly agreed to move me up a few floors when I asked. The room was spacious, well appointed, serviced daily (even when I forgot to put out the sign on door handle). Over all it was pleasant and not too bad to stay there for 5 nights.

Having said that though - some things I didn't like (and you may not). On check in, my credit card was debited $50, instead of just held - not to be refunded until a few days after I checked out. That practice really annoys me, its stupid! (I never use the mini bar or movies anyway, but even so, just bill me when I leave and don't hold up my account). The two times I came back in from being out for dinner with friends and felt like a drink in the bar before going to bed, the bar had just closed - this includes an evening when I asked the reception guys how long will bar be open? advised 10 pm - it was 9:30 pm - then the bartender says no, he's closed (they are directly across the foyer from each other). The bed was also one of the softest I've ever slept in, which might be a good thing if you like soft beds (I don't - but you might!)

I didn't eat in the restaurant so can't comment, but it looked more pricey than what you would find close by, there are a lot of great restaurants within walking distance. Over all, it was nice enough, but if given an option I would prefer to stay next door at the Mantra

Room Tip: If placed in a corner room at left end of hotel, ask for a room on a higher floor. You'll get a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Don't let the oddly 70's entry and atrium deter you, the rooms here are quite spacious, modern and well presented. Bathrooms are basic but overall in room facilities are good, bed is comfortable, and the all-essential air conditioning works well (though is noisy in some rooms). Having stayed here about 20 nights over three months I can attest to the room standard being pretty similar throughout the hotel.

Room service is of reasonable quality though i'd avoid breakfast in the atrium restaurant if at all possible. 2 blocks away is "The Ducks Nuts" which presents far better value and quality for breakfast. Several other breakfast options on Mitchel street are also better.

I did not use any hotel facilities other than the restaurant (breakfast), bar (but i'd just as soon drink elsewhere) and room (nice, as above).

Would recommend for business stay moreso than holiday stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business