“Clean”

Darwin City Point Hotel
Darwin City Point Hotel
Ranked #33 of 36 Hotels in Darwin
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Clean accommodation in a good location, rooms a bit tired but very clean. Was a bit of noise at different times but the manager sorted that it. Value is ok, nothing is cheap in Darwin in July or any time here really!!

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed October 6, 2012

May look underwhelming from the outside, but rooms are comfortable and very well-priced. Staff demonstrate the best of Australian hospitality and knowledge of the city. Nicely located near great restaurants and tourist spots in the middle of the city, but far enough from noisy night clubs. We had a pleasurable stay.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
poincianainn, Manager at Darwin City Point Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Hi,
We trust your flight were enjoyable and you are now where you need to be, Lovely to have met you all.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for two nights in early September. I chose the hotel for it's central Darwin location and it met that requirement. It is an old style hotel with rooms facing outwards to a shared balcony / walkway. I had a room at the rear of the venue and it was quiet. It is walking distance to restaurants and cafes.

The rooms are basic but if you are only there to sleep as I was it is fine, clean with a comfortable bed and good air-conditioning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Russmel
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was very dissapointed with the Poinciana this time as I have stayed here before and found it OK.....just. It used to be cheaper and value for money, particulalry compared to other Darwin accommodation. I booked via email and after 3 reminders finally got a confirmation. I arrived and there had been a stuff up with the booking and we were given a room on the bottom floor at the rear of the building, which we were told is used in this event.

These things happen and I am very understanding as I own a couple of motels myself and I know how difficult it can be. What i couldn't understand was the charge of $170 for the night for a very, very average room. I come to Darwin regulalry and understand it is busy and expensive. My advise is to avoid here now and just spend the extra money on other alternative motels as this really has become one of the most ordinary motels in Darwin. I won't be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Andrew M

Hi,
sorry it has taken so long to reply, we are very new at this and yes the very busy time you booked in we did make some mistakes but were upfront with options and regret, unfortunately the room price is set at a premium time in Darwin, wishing you all the best.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I will start by the advantage of this hotel because there was only one. The location was great.
Regarding the defaults, this hotel was way overpriced for what it is, a random motel with really basic rooms. (not bad, not good)
The receptionist was NEVER there and therefore it was impossible to access any of the facilities that this hotel claim to have (Internet access, swimming pool). When finally she shown up, she was really rude. My travel buddy was not allowed to receive a very important professional international call. The woman at the reception said she was not "her secretary".
So, in a nutshell a well located motel, however way overpriced for what it is and a very rude receptionist. I would not recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Johann S

Hi,
In regards to NEVER being in reception i would argue that point, sorry, reception hours are well signed as 7am - 6pm and if we are attending a guest therefore not behind the desk alternative options are also well signed. The pool does not need reception to acess it . We cannot be responsible for personal calls and messages as explained we then become from experience soley responsible and in the firing line if the guest does not get the message. The call to which you are referring was a job interview and an international call you wished to make using our business line and i did come to your room to advise you of the call and the number for you to follow this up on. I wish you well and felt the need to respond as facts stated are incorrect.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

What a fabulous place to stay!!! Not only for the great location, cleanliness & overall pleasantness of the place but also for the friendliness & the laughs we shared with the manager Karina & her assistan Cliffy. That was an added bonus to our holiday. Then to top it all off they even had the decency to return items left behind, although Cliffy, I was a bit hurt that you would think the bikini was mine, way too big. I would definately rate the Poinciana & staff 20 out of 10 & wouldn't stay anywhere else in future.

Room Tip: Stay there you will love it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank extontocumwal
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Although we had informed the hotel one of us would arrive at 5am, when I arrived the reception was locked & when I rang the number provided, I was told to just wait until 7am when reception would open.

I was then told I'd have to pay $170 (ie the rate for the night before) to be able to check in at 7am, otherwise i'd have to wait until 3pm, the official check in time --all this, notwithstanding our room was free, clean and READY.

None of this was appreciated after a 30 Hour flight from Europe! Overall rude and inconsiderate.

• Stayed: August 2012