“Small planes but great views”

Skytour Air Safaris
Ranked #47 of 82 Outdoor Activities in Darwin
More attraction details
Owner description: The Kakadu Air Services group are the Northern Territory scenic flight specialists. Established in 1981,Kakadu Air is the longest operating, scenic flight company within Kakadu. A Kakadu Air scenic flight (either fixed wing or by helicopter) is an ideal way to appreciate Kakadu National Park and Arnhemland Escarpment, giving spectacular aerial views that will forever change your perception of this timeless land. There a range of flight options to suit all budgets and Kakadu Air also offer private charters.
Darwin, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Small planes but great views”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I'm part of a film crew that needed to get us and our equipment to the Tiwi Islands and back as cheaply and hassle free as possible. Kakadu Air (which runs Skytours) was the cheapest option by far and got us there and back with no fuss. The plane was a six seater, which was smaller than some people would like, especially as we had to land in a thunder storm, but the small plane meant we could get in closer to the scenery than bigger planes.

Visited March 2013
Kelly V, Director of Sales at Skytour Air Safaris, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Glad to hear you enjoyed flying with us, the plane you flew in was an Airvan. No other aircraft in its class measures up to the stringent safety, design and airworthiness requirements to which the Airvan is certified. And you’re correct, the smaller aircraft is ideal for sightseeing and surveillance; especially as it has a high wing. This is why we use them as they are great for scenic touring. Good luck with your film production.
Kind Regards
Kelly Vrolyks- Marketing Manager

Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Worth the money”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Thanks to Robyn and the professional staff of Kakidu Air, we enjoyed a 1 hr flight after being left stranded by a not as organised company. The early morning flight in a 13 seater was as smooth as a Boeing. Totally different advantage from the air and puts the park and Arnhem land into spective. Thoroughly recommend the extra few dollars to fly Kakidu Air and have the flight of a life time.

Visited October 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great way to see the top end”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hi, my family went on the Kakadu Skytour from Coolina back to Darwin. The flight was great and the pilot was top notch. Even when my boys got a bit motion sick and threw up the pilot helped out my son and kept him calm and relaxed. The tour was great and after that my son still thought is was a great trip!

Visited September 2012
Adelaide, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fantastic - Highly Recommend”
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My sister and I did the one hour flight over Kakadu and Arnham Land ($230) worth the money - the pilot was great and the flight very smooth, great landing and take off. The commentary which was pre-recorded was very informative. Seeing Kakadu by air gives you a completely different perspective of how immense and untouched the area is, we saw brumbies drinking in a billabong but I thought the campers were a bit close to the rivers edge as we saw crocodiles in the river. The plane is small and does get a little warm, I took ginger tablets before we flew, I am gald I did as I did feel a bit queasy when the plane was banking. The only disappointment for me was seeing the Ranger Uranium Mine from the air it is very ugly and spoils an otherwise perfect landscape.

Visited August 2012
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The only way to really see Kakadu”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We took the Kakadu day trip with a bus to Kakadu, returning to Darwin by plane, as both ways by plane was too expensive for us. We also participated in the optional flight offered during the bus sector, also run by Skytours. Both flights were very good and believe that flying is the only way to really appreciate the vastness and beauty of Kakadu - the optional flight also giving a glimpse of Arhnem Land, which is so different from Kakadu. They were incredibly smooth flights, and the pilots were very good and informative. Thoroughly recommended.

Visited August 2012